• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much does centering matter to you on a 9.8

39 posts in this topic

If you are going to pay 9.8 money for a comic (which I don't) I would wait for a better copy unless there is VERY limited copies in that grade. And it is at least 30 years old.

The TEC #475 in question is exactly 30 years old, and is one of two 9.8 copies out of 100 or so submitted. So is that "very limited"?

A badly centered 9.8 isn't a 9.8. :gossip:

Maybe you could tell this to CGC because they don't seem to know this, unlike the postage stamp and sports card grading companies who consider it critical.

Centering matters to me ALWAYS...regardless of grade.

I agree. Especially if the book is common and you are paying for the fact it is CGCed. It's all a bit of a game. It might be just me, but a perfectly registered 9.6 is better than an off-centred 9.8, if you can't tell the difference between the 9.6 and 9.8 to begin with.

I'd even drop the comparison down to a 9.4 and 9.6 -- heck, at the level at which I collect (Silver Age Marvel @ 8.5-9.2), I just can't be bother with books that aren't great examples of their type. Most of the time, there's just too many examples around to settle for less. Put your money on the better looking book -- and look closely.

My 12¢

Dennis

Centering matters to me ALWAYS...regardless of grade.

I agree. Especially if the book is common and you are paying for the fact it is CGCed. It's all a bit of a game. It might be just me, but a perfectly registered 9.6 is better than an off-centred 9.8, if you can't tell the difference between the 9.6 and 9.8 to begin with.

The difference between a 9.6 and 9.8 to me is actually noticeable, however going from a 9.8 to 9.9 is where all of CGC equipment comes into play.

Centering to me is not that important, just as long as it is not mis-wrapped to crazy.

Miswraps that are parallel with the spine and not egregious in width do not bother me generally, but I find myself paying more attention to them. Angled miswraps just don't look right to me, personally

Centering on 9.8s doesn't matter to me at all.....because I don't buy 9.8s.....because 9.8s are for suckers. :baiting:

If 9.8s are for suckers...what do you call someone who collects mis-cut/off-centered 9.8's?? :baiting:

185.jpg

10.jpg

266.jpg

299.jpg

117.jpg

1a.jpg

1b.jpg

I just don't see the point of even bothering to put these in a case. Really, I am serious. They are all very common modern comics, and the fact they are cut at an angle is very distracting. Might as well just get a raw 9.4 that's nicely centered than these examples.

This is today's CGC comic of the day:

DetectiveComics47598.jpg

What a beauty. This is probably my second favorite Marshall Rogers cover in this run (the first being "The Batman Is Dead")

But I can't help noticing the CENT symbol is trimmed off a bit on the right edge. It's not bad, at least the cover is not crooked, unlike some other 9.8 comics I hae seen.

Now I know CGC does not consider centering issues when grading, but I just wondered how much it mattered to the prices collectors of 9.8 late 1970's comic would be willing to pay.

All other things being equal, how much more might a perfectly centered copy command on the market, compared to this copy.

All other contributing factors to final condition being equal, centering is at the top of the list! Will no longer even consider mis-aligned white spine border books especially...

I would say pass because the overall white spine is not symmetrically straight being thicker in the upper half portion to the top.

Right. The one thing worse than a miswrap is an uneven miswrap. :sick:

:sick:

dd158miswrap.jpg