• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,256 posts in this topic

Well, this isn't quite as rare as Dwight's unique Shadow memorabilia, but it's pretty darn scarce nonetheless. This is the first issue of Jack Dempsey's Fight Magazine, a boxing pulp that only lasted three issues before it folded. It is noteworthy for having a Robert E. Howard story in all three issues. They are "Sailor" Steve Costigan yarns - humorous boxing stories and are a great read.

JackDempsey01.jpg

JackDempseyInt.jpg

City of Mummies is a super St J cover and your copy quite nice, just wanted to add that that back cover is also sweet, part of an interplanetary series by the great Frank R. Paul, the cover artist of the 1920s 'bedsheet' issues of Amazing that pioneered American SF.

img213.jpg

Well, this isn't quite as rare as Dwight's unique Shadow memorabilia, but it's pretty darn scarce nonetheless. This is the first issue of Jack Dempsey's Fight Magazine, a boxing pulp that only lasted three issues before it folded. It is noteworthy for having a Robert E. Howard story in all three issues. They are "Sailor" Steve Costigan yarns - humorous boxing stories and are a great read.

JackDempsey01.jpg

JackDempseyInt.jpg

SCORE! Awesome find, man (thumbs u

I just acquired the mate to the other RARE 1937 SHADOW "Blue Coal" Radio advertising sign.

This one, as with the other, was a one-of-a-kind hand printed Silkscreen sign from 1937, again sponsored by Blue Coal.

Dimensions: 18.5" x 23.5", framed to 24" x 29”.

DSC_1050.jpg

DSC_1054.jpg

ShadowBlueCoalSigns1b.jpg

Edited by detective35DF

I just acquired the mate to the other RARE 1937 SHADOW "Blue Coal" Radio advertising sign.

This one, as with the other, was a one-of-a-kind hand printed Silkscreen sign from 1937, again sponsored by Blue Coal.

Dimensions: 18.5" x 23.5", framed to 24" x 29”.

DSC_1050.jpg

DSC_1054.jpg

ShadowBlueCoalSigns1b.jpg

Congrats Dwight! Those signs are really cool! :applause:

Here are a few more Shadows that I just scanned from my collection. They are from various pulp collections (Yakima, Strasser, etc.). All have ow/w or white pages.

ShadowsJustice.jpg

Dwight

Beautiful covers Dwight. I especially like the balance cover. Who did that cover? Can't read the signatures. There are several comic covers with a similar theme, I think.

I just purchased this 100+ pulp lot at a junk auction last night! I was lucky enough to spot an old box of magazines on a table and when I approached I saw this:

pulp1.JPG
From Comics

pulp2.JPG
From Comics

I don't know much about pulps but I the illustrations are vey cool, though I recognized WEIRD TALES right away. I need to do some research because a quick glance shows stories by Lovecraft, Bradbury, Howard, Leiber, and other legendary writers with illustrations by Virgil Finlay. I hope I spent my $30 well!

If you paid $30 for the stack, you did well. :applause:

Count about $8 a piece for the Famous Fantastic Mysteries, a little more for the Weird Tales, circa $15 + (unless you have some desirable ones) and for The Unknown ones, it'll depend on writer line-up but at least $10 + a piece. All prices listed here are on the low end, i.e., that's what I'd pay and I am one of the cheapest guys around here.

Thanks Scrooge! I was checking out ebay and one of the FAMOUS issues sports an Ayn Rand cover story and seems to sell for $40+ in good condition. A few others have Lovecraft stories with art so I'll continue to research...and read, of course!

I don't know if this is the forum to talk about selling but I will definately be posting these under my ebay name which is the same as I use in these forums. Since my investment is small I'm not really that concerned with guide pricing, just getting these books into the hands of others who love them!