• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
24 24

9,312 posts in this topic

The "Strasser" collection was found by a gentleman named Von Crayville in around 1978-79.

Von Crayville bought a farmhouse in Ohio and in the basement were thousands of pulps stacked on shelves and covered with wax paper. The original owners of the house "Robert Strasser" had passed away and the relatives did not want the pulps when Von Crayville informed the family that they were still there.

The "Strassers" were easily identified (as the Mile High's were) in a few ways:

a) a written code on the cover

b) multi-colored checkmarks on the table of contents page.

c) newsstand condtion with white or white/off-white interior paper

The Strassers started in late 1933, but seemed to not be in newsstand condition until around March 1934.

The issues in late 1933 and early 1934 actually had "Robert Strasser" written on the front cover in the first letter of the title in fountain pen.

Later in 1934 - late 1939 they are identified with an "A code" also written in fountain pen ink, in the first letter of the title on the front cover A 98, A 196, etc.

Most titles were represented: Hero (shadow, Doc savage, Spider, etc.), Detective Pulps, and Weird Menace pulps. However I have not seen or heard of any Weird Tales or Spicy's, but it is possible that they were there.

Von Crayville sold most of the Strassers over the next 15 years at the annual PulpCon. Some titles were sold on an individual basis, and sometimes Von Crayville would sell one whole year of one title at a time. I have most of the Shadows from 1935-39 (missing about 10), however I have not been able to track down the 1934 issues (from March 1 on) and I suspect that they were sold as a group as no individual issues have surfaced from this time period.

See attached pics with two examples of the code!

MeteorMenaceStrasser1bb.jpg

Partners_Strasseradj-11group-5.jpg

GoldenMasksStrasser4bgroup-3.jpg

Dwight

I just got this one in yesterday via Fed-ex, and have not had the time to get it framed.

The original pulp oil painting of the Shadow "The Third Skull" (optical illusion cover).

Copy of Shadow Pulp

ThirdSkull2b-Copy.jpg

Painting Information:

Pulp: The Shadow

Artist: George Rozen

Medium: Oil on Canvas

Date: 1935

Size: 21" x 30"

Condition: Excellent

HISTORICAL INFORMATION

06-07-201090909PM-1.jpg

ThirdSkullb.jpg