• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,217 posts in this topic

New to these boards; used to be a comic-book collector, but sold everything a few years ago to concentrate on one thing and one thing only: my Robert E. Howard interest and collection. Don't have that many items as I tend to be very picky as to the condition and am operating on a limited budget, but what the heck. I should also add that the esteemed Theagenes encouraged me to join, so blame him, not me.

Two recent acquisitions and an older one...

WeirdTales-1937-02.jpg

WeirdTales-1938-09.jpg

Edited by Xaltotun

New to these boards; used to be a comic-book collector, but sold everything a few years ago to concentrate on one thing and one thing only: my Robert E. Howard interest and collection. Don't have that many items as I tend to be very picky as the condition and am operating on a limited budget, but what the heck. I should also add that the esteemed Theagenes encouraged me to join, so blame him, not me.

WeirdTales-1937-02.jpg

WeirdTales-1938-09.jpg

Welcome to the boards! Any friend of Jeff's..............

Love the pulps! How far along are you on your collection of REH?

Welcome to the boards! Always glad to meet a fellow Weird Tales / Robert E Howard collector.

Thanks for sharing some of your pulps. They sure look like beautiful copies. I'm sure there are many of us that would love to see more.

Welcome Xaltotun! Glad you signed up.

For those that don't know, the Action Stories with REH content like the one above are highly sought after and tough as hell to find. Xaltotun is also being modest. He's one of the top REH scholars in the world and has an amazing collection---hopefully we'll see some more. :popcorn:

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I am slowly scanning/rescanning my pulps, so it may take a while to post more.

My REH books/chapbooks collection is 99% complete; I don't collect *everything*, but I have all the hardcovers, all the specialty press, chapbooks, etc, with only two or three items missing. The pulp collection is still very far behind, alas.

Here's one that was ready, and I am pretty sure not many have seen. "Fight Stories" are usually tough as hell, the issues with REH's Steve Costigan even tougher AND über-pricey, and you can't be picky as to the condition. This is the very first REH / Steve Costigan issue (from July 1929). Other than the year penciled in on the cover, it is as flawless as you see; the covers and spine are bone white.

Did I mention that I paid a staggering $4.50 for it, postpaid?

FightStories-1929-07.jpg

Edited by Xaltotun

That's one I still need. :applause:

I've said it before in this thread, but I'll say it again, If you've never read REH's humorous works, like the Sailor Steve Costigan boxing stories (or the Breckinridge Elkins western yarns) you're missing out. They're very different in tone from Conan or his other weird fiction and they're really funny.

New to these boards; used to be a comic-book collector, but sold everything a few years ago to concentrate on one thing and one thing only: my Robert E. Howard interest and collection. Don't have that many items as I tend to be very picky as to the condition and am operating on a limited budget, but what the heck. I should also add that the esteemed Theagenes encouraged me to join, so blame him, not me.

WeirdTales-1937-02.jpg

WeirdTales-1938-09.jpg

I thought I had seen most of those Brundage covers but I guess there are always a few. Did she do any interior art and are any of the originals still available?

Welcome to the Boards! :hi:

Nice Weird Tales. :applause:

Are there any Kuttner collections available? I would like to catch up on his stories.

Two-Handed Engine,The Selected Stories of Henry Kuttner and C.L. Moore

ISBN 0-7394-6810-3

UPC 9 780739 468104

Edited by David Curtid

Centipede Press 2004?

I got my copy from SFBC so I'm not sure if it is a club exclusive or not,just know I love it.900+ pages of GA Sci-Fi.

Now lets see some more covers.

I think the Elak of Atlantis stories have been recently reprinted. Elak was the first ersatz Conan after the death of Howard. If memory serves, the first story appeared in Weird Tales for May 1938. Competent, but not that great.

I'll be posting more stuff later today...

I don't think Brundage ever illustrated any interiors; a good number of Brundage originals (covers) survive; many of those were part of the McLaughlin collection; they will eventually end up on Heritage or have perhaps already changed hands in private deals, I dunno.

Edited by Xaltotun