• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,201 posts in this topic

Bangzoom,

will you please refrain from posting your scans on this thread and stick to killing me every time I see them on that "Golden Age Collection" thread?

Also, please post fewer of them: I have been on these boards three days, posted a few scans here, and simply wasted the rest of my free time on that other thread. This can't go on.

Ahem.

Jack Dempsey's Fight Magazine.

Short-lived pulp from 1934, had three issue, each harder to find than the preceding (which was already tough as hell.) All three issues have a Steve Costigan story by REH. My copy of the second ish has a "July" cover date, instead of June because it's a Canadian edition, and apparently the only known copy of a Canadian printing. Condition is not stellar, but beggars can't be choosers!

JackDempseysFightMagazine-1934-05.jpg

Bangzoom,

will you please refrain from posting your scans on this thread and stick to killing me every time I see them on that "Golden Age Collection" thread?

Also, please post fewer of them: I have been on these boards three days, posted a few scans here, and simply wasted the rest of my free time on that other thread. This can't go on.

Ahem.

Believe me, you're not the first to come in, discover Bangzoom's thread, and then lose several days of your life. lol

What page are you up to?

Bangzoom,

Ahem.

Believe me, you're not the first to come in, discover Bangzoom's thread, and then lose several days of your life. lol

What page are you up to?

The greatest thread in the history of the Internet. Fotunately I was one of the first boardies to see it and have been mesmerized ever since. Thanks again, BZ!

Since a bunch of Weird Tales are being posted, I wanted to mention again that I'm looking for a February 1928 issue. Anyone?

I'm pretty sure there's going to be a copy in the upcoming Robinson auction over at Adventure House.

The greatest thread in the history of the Internet. Fotunately I was one of the first boardies to see it and have been mesmerized ever since. Thanks again, BZ!

I believe there are five stages one goes through when first acquiring BZMCAS or BangZoom Magnificent Collection Awareness Syndrom:

1. Denial - "Those are facsimile dust jackets, right?" ;)

2. Anger - "Dammit! Why can't my pulps be flawless and newstand fresh!" :pullhair:

3. Bargaining - "Ok, maybe if I scour eBay and Craiglist everday for the rest of my life and win the lottery. . ." hm

4. Depression - "I'll never own the first issue of Weird Tales!" :cry:

5. Acceptance - "Let's see what wonderful item BZ's posted today." :cloud9:

I believe there are five stages one goes through when first acquiring BZMCAS or BangZoom Magnificent Collection Awareness Syndrom:

1. Denial - "Those are facsimile dust jackets, right?" ;)

2. Anger - "Dammit! Why can't my pulps be flawless and newstand fresh!" :pullhair:

3. Bargaining - "Ok, maybe if I scour eBay and Craiglist everday for the rest of my life and win the lottery. . ." hm

4. Depression - "I'll never own the first issue of Weird Tales!" :cry:

5. Acceptance - "Let's see what wonderful item BZ's posted today." :cloud9:

Excellent diagnosis (thumbs u

Except #2 is a recurring symptom for me. :cry:

I'm still somewhere between 2 and 3, and wondering if there's not a Delusional stage at some point (as in "Maybe he'll give them to me" or "What if I had something he really wants to trade for that [Fill in the blank]"?

I am trying to avoid O.D., 100 post a day, no more, no less. Mithridatisation as applied to the colleting area.

I'm still somewhere between 2 and 3, and wondering if there's not a Delusional stage at some point (as in "Maybe he'll give them to me" or "What if I had something he really wants to trade for that [Fill in the blank]"?

I am trying to avoid O.D., 100 post a day, no more, no less. Mithridatisation as applied to the colleting area.

"Mithridatisation"

I had to look that one up, and it's a great word! From Wikipedia:

"Mithridatism is the practice of protecting oneself against a poison by gradually self-administering non-lethal amounts. The word derives from Mithridates VI, the King of Pontus, who so feared being poisoned that he regularly ingested small doses, aiming to develop immunity. Having been defeated by Pompey, legend has it that Mithridates tried to commit suicide using poison but failed because of his immunity and so had to resort to having a mercenary run him through with his sword."

Just picked these cover proofs from an estate in which the owner once worked for or had direct affiliation with Street & Smith. The estate has sold a 1945 Shadow pulp Interior original art piece by Edd Cartier, and has other interior pulp art for sale.

Dwight, were you the buyer of the group of five Cartier Shadow originals that this dealer sold recently?