• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,189 posts in this topic

Hi, just thought I would ask if anyone remembers a pulp cover that showed a crazed man walking down an aisle with women tied to beds and stabbing them? Years ago, before any guides and reference books, I thought it might have been an EC horror comic but over time, I acquire complete runs and failed to find the cover. Back in 1971, Terry Stroud and David Alexander owned a comic group in LA and we got talking about the image and they suggested it might be a pulp? Not that it's driving me crazy, but it has been 42 years of wondering...lol. Any help would be much appreciated as I remember seeing this cover in a used book and comic shop on Wabasha street in downtown St. Paul, during the early 1950's. We would take the bus downtown on Saturdays and either trade 2 comics for 1 or pay 5 cents for any pulp or comic in the store. Must have had 3000 comics and pulps stacked below, on top of, and around 40 tables. I did not buy the issue because at 11 years old, my parents would have gone nuts. Thanks, Mike

So...you guys want to talk about the upcoming Robinson auction in this thread, or should we start a new one?

[font:Arial Black]What would you like to know. I have been at Franks' place quite a few times and have gone through his pulps fairily thoroughly.

Dwight[/font]

The first auction is for the big full runs like Weird Tales and Doc Savage. If they don't met reserve then they'll be broken up and sold individually in a later auction.

Dwight, do you think there are serious buyers out there that might go after the full runs?

The first auction is for the big full runs like Weird Tales and Doc Savage. If they don't met reserve then they'll be broken up and sold individually in a later auction.

Dwight, do you think there are serious buyers out there that might go after the full runs?

+1.

Apparently some folks have asked John at Adventure House to give them a crack at buying the complete sets.

I understand auctioning a collection of this size is a tremendous amount of work, and offering complete sets is a time-saver. But, I am disappointed by this. I was really hoping to be able to bid on specific issues of these two titles (DS & WT).

John did tell me that the reserve on the complete sets is fairly high, and that if the lots fail to meet reserve they will be broken down into smaller lots and auctioned again.

Unfortunately for me, even a smaller, high grade lot may end up going for well out of my MANNUP price range.

Well, enough sour grapes. I can't wait to see all the great material for sale!

I've been wanting this one for a while. Contains the first appearance of Red Sonya (Sonja) in "The Shadow of the Vulture." It's a historical adventure that Roy Thomas converted into a Conan story in CtB 23 and 24.

MagicCarpet0002.jpg

MagicCarpet1934-01int02.jpg

This issue is a bonus for the REH collector as it has a second story under one of Howard's pen names Patrick Ervin. This one is a Sailor Steve Costigan story (with the name changed to Dennis Dorgan since Costigan was a Fiction House property).

MagicCarpet1934-01int01.jpg

Less than 20 ft (6.1 m) shorter than Hindenburg, she and her sister—Akron—were among the largest flying objects in the world in terms of length and volume. Although the hydrogen-filled Hindenburg was longer, the two sisters still hold the world record for helium-filled airships. Akron crashed too. Macon went down Feb12 1935 in Monterey Bay CA losing 2 of a crew of 76. seen here over NYC

350px-USSMaconNYC.jpg

I wish I could have looked up and seen one of these massive ships in the air. It must have been some sight.

I remember watching the footage of its crash and burn when I was a kid, very dramatic. "Oh the humanity".

I've been wanting this one for a while. Contains the first appearance of Red Sonya (Sonja) in "The Shadow of the Vulture." It's a historical adventure that Roy Thomas converted into a Conan story in CtB 23 and 24.

MagicCarpet0002.jpg

This issue is a bonus for the REH collector as it has a second story under one of Howard's pen names Patrick Ervin. This one is a Sailor Steve Costigan story (with the name changed to Dennis Dorgan since Costigan was a Fiction House property).

He didn't like the veal so he punched out the waiter?

MagicCarpet0002.jpg

Great book Jeff - love the cover :applause:

MagicCarpet0002.jpg

Wow... I'd by happy with any issue of Magic Carpet (Brundage cover, of course) that looks that nice!

:o

:ohnoez:

Side question: would a complete pulp run attract the attention of a flipper, or someone who would break it up in hopes of further profit?

Side question: would a com

plete pulp run attract the attention of a flipper, or someone who would break it up in hopes of further profit?

In chatting with John, today, the top bid he had on the WT was 160K, unless the same guy who is a friend of mine upped his offer to 175K. I know he offered John @ Frank close to 700K for the entire collection and they turned him down. 900K would get the entire collection. Frank has no original art to speak of. There are some serious pulp buyers out there but the reserves are fairly high. I think that many of the sets will be split up.

Dwight

Dwight

Side question: would a complete pulp run attract the attention of a flipper, or someone who would break it up in hopes of further profit?

Side question: would a com

plete pulp run attract the attention of a flipper, or someone who would break it up in hopes of further profit?

In chatting with John, today, the top bid he had on the WT was 160K, unless the same guy who is a friend of mine upped his offer to 175K. I know he offered John @ Frank close to 700K for the entire collection and they turned him down. 900K would get the entire collection. Frank has no original art to speak of. There are some serious pulp buyers out there but the reserves are fairly high. I think that many of the sets will be split up.

Dwight

Dwight

This is one of those rare occasions when I wish I had a copy of Action Comics #1, just so I could cash in on it and get these wonderful pulps!

MagicCarpet0002.jpg

Congratulations, Jeff. :applause:

I know that's one you've expressed an interest in for a while now.

I love the cover. It exudes 1930's adventure story ambience.

Congratulations, Jeff. :applause:

I know that's one you've expressed an interest in for a while now.

I love the cover. It exudes 1930's adventure story ambience.

Thanks everybody. Yeah, I've been outbid on several copies over the last year or two, including the Jerry Weist copy. This one just popped up in Lloyd Curry's latest catalog at a price I couldn't resist. :cloud9:

I've been working on this cool little run too, and I've managed to get three of the five issues. I love the covers on these and I especially enjoy how the St. John logo works so well with the Brundage artwork. The Red Sonja story, The Shadow of the Vulture, is really good. I read it a few months ago and kept referring to the Wikipedia entries about the events and locations surrounding the Siege of Vienna. The additional background info really added to my enjoyment of the story.

Magic Carpet, April 1933

MagicCarpetVol3No2Apr1933.jpg

Magic Carpet, October 1933

MagicCarpetVol3No4Oct1933.jpg

Magic Carpet, January 1934

MagicCarpetVol4No1Jan1934.jpg