• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,254 posts in this topic

This one has a one page Human Torch comic inside!!

marvelstories_zps2bdca64d.jpg

Whoa! Any way you can take a pic of the Human Torch story?

I'm not sure who I got this from.

marvelstoriepulphumantorch.jpg

Awesome - THANKS! I love how the Torch has a picture of himself on his back. HA!

One of the more interesting Pulp Studies papers at the PCA conference a couple of weeks ago was on the rise of the shudder/weird menace pulps with their lurid, graphic, and misogynistic imagery took place at exactly the same time in the early 30s as the institution of the Hayes Code and the crackdown of the same type of imagery in the film industry. I thought that was a fascinating observation, though her evidence was circumstantial. That sort of goes along with the discussion in the comic book origins thread about how interrelated the different entertainment media are and how the rise of a particular genre in one medium may mean it's decline in another and vice versa.

One of the more interesting Pulp Studies papers at the PCA conference a couple of weeks ago was on the rise of the shudder/weird menace pulps with their lurid, graphic, and misogynistic imagery took place at exactly the same time in the early 30s as the institution of the Hayes Code and the crackdown of the same type of imagery in the film industry. I thought that was a fascinating observation, though her evidence was circumstantial. That sort of goes along with the discussion in the comic book origins thread about how interrelated the different entertainment media are and how the rise of a particular genre in one medium may mean it's decline in another and vice versa.

The way television did for romance comics

Thanks, Xaltotun & Theagenes!

theagenes -- were those two REH Thrilling Mystery stories ever reprinted? Maybe with different titles?

I'm working my way through the Del Rey collected Horror Stories of REH and those two aren't in it.

Yep Howard Works is the go to site for publication info.

Both stories were just published in new collections from the REH Foundation. Black Wind Blowing is in Tales of Weird Menace.

http://www.rehfoundation.org/publishing/tales-of-weird-menace/

Menace.jpg

And Graveyard Rats is in the Steve Harrison Casebook.

http://www.rehfoundation.org/publishing/steve-harrisons-casebook/

Casebook.jpg

Shameless plug time! Salem Press has just announced their forthcoming collection of essays on the pulps. I have an article on REH's creation of sword and sorcery. Due out in May:

pulp_fiction.jpg

Critical Insights: Pulp Fiction of the 1920s and 1930s

Outstanding, in-depth scholarship by renowned literary critics; great starting point for students seeking an introduction to the theme and the critical discussions surrounding it.

Explores the "weird" and diverse fiction of popular pulp writers such as H. P. Lovecraft, Robert E. Howard, Clark Ashton Smith, A. Merritt, as well as pulp magazines such as Weird Tales.

From their origin at the end of the nineteenth century to their decline in the 1950s, "pulp" magazines entertained the masses with lurid stories in such genres as adventure, Western, romance, crime, fantasy, horror, and science fiction. Notable publications, such as Weird Tales, also served as apprenticeships for many new writers, including H.P. Lovecraft, Robert E. Howard, and Clark Ashton Smith.

Edited by Gary Hoppenstand, Professor of American Studies at Auburn University at Michigan State University and editor of the Journal of Popular Culture, this volume in the Critical Insights series presents a variety of new essays on the topic of popular pulp fiction and writers of the 1920s and 1930s, focusing on those major contributors to the Weird Tales school, which not only included Lovecraft, Howard, and Smith, but also Seabury Quinn, C.L. Moore, Robert Bloch, August Derleth, and others. For readers who are studying pulp fiction for the first time, four essays survey the critical conversation regarding the subject, explore its cultural and historical contexts, and offer close and comparative readings of key texts. Readers seeking a deeper understanding can then move on to other essays that explore it in depth through a variety of critical approaches. Among the contributors are S.T. Joshi, Jeffrey H. Shanks, Andrew J. Wilson, Garyn Roberts, and Richard Bleiler.

Rounding out the volume are a list of literary works not mentioned in the book that concern the theme as well as a bibliography of critical sources for readers seeking to study this timeless theme in greater depth.

Each essay is 2,500 to 5,000 words in length, and all essays conclude with a list of "Works Cited," along with endnotes. Finally, the volume's appendixes offer a section of useful reference resources:

About This Volume

Critical Context: Original Introductory Essays

Critical Readings: Original In-Depth Essays

Further Readings

Detailed Bibliography

Detailed Bio of the Editor

General Subject Index

Shameless plug time! Salem Press has just announced their forthcoming collection of essays on the pulps. I have an article on REH's creation of sword and sorcery. Due out in May:

pulp_fiction.jpg

Critical Insights: Pulp Fiction of the 1920s and 1930s

Outstanding, in-depth scholarship by renowned literary critics; great starting point for students seeking an introduction to the theme and the critical discussions surrounding it.

Explores the "weird" and diverse fiction of popular pulp writers such as H. P. Lovecraft, Robert E. Howard, Clark Ashton Smith, A. Merritt, as well as pulp magazines such as Weird Tales.

From their origin at the end of the nineteenth century to their decline in the 1950s, "pulp" magazines entertained the masses with lurid stories in such genres as adventure, Western, romance, crime, fantasy, horror, and science fiction. Notable publications, such as Weird Tales, also served as apprenticeships for many new writers, including H.P. Lovecraft, Robert E. Howard, and Clark Ashton Smith.

Edited by Gary Hoppenstand, Professor of American Studies at Auburn University at Michigan State University and editor of the Journal of Popular Culture, this volume in the Critical Insights series presents a variety of new essays on the topic of popular pulp fiction and writers of the 1920s and 1930s, focusing on those major contributors to the Weird Tales school, which not only included Lovecraft, Howard, and Smith, but also Seabury Quinn, C.L. Moore, Robert Bloch, August Derleth, and others. For readers who are studying pulp fiction for the first time, four essays survey the critical conversation regarding the subject, explore its cultural and historical contexts, and offer close and comparative readings of key texts. Readers seeking a deeper understanding can then move on to other essays that explore it in depth through a variety of critical approaches. Among the contributors are S.T. Joshi, Jeffrey H. Shanks, Andrew J. Wilson, Garyn Roberts, and Richard Bleiler.

Rounding out the volume are a list of literary works not mentioned in the book that concern the theme as well as a bibliography of critical sources for readers seeking to study this timeless theme in greater depth.

Each essay is 2,500 to 5,000 words in length, and all essays conclude with a list of "Works Cited," along with endnotes. Finally, the volume's appendixes offer a section of useful reference resources:

About This Volume

Critical Context: Original Introductory Essays

Critical Readings: Original In-Depth Essays

Further Readings

Detailed Bibliography

Detailed Bio of the Editor

General Subject Index

Congrats Jeff!! We aren't worthy! (worship)

pulp_fiction.jpg

Congratulations, Jeff. :applause:

I'm looking forward to its publication.

Jeff Shanks = renowned literary critic! (worship)

Yeah, I think that was a little hyperbolic. lol

Thanks guys! :blush:

Hyperbolic or not, it will now follow you where ever you go :devil:

Jeff, will the book be available via Amazon?

Yes, and looking at some of the other books in the series many of them do have a discount on Amazon, but not a huge one. Unfortunately these kind of books are aimed at libraries and academic institutions and are pretty pricey.