• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,256 posts in this topic

Astounding Stories, Feb 1936

First publication of "At the Mountains of Madness" by H.P. Lovecraft, with a great cover for the story. Not a rare pulp, but it took me a while to find a high grade copy.

Astounding%2520Stories%2520Vol%252016%2520No%25206%2520Feb%25201936.jpg

Great book! Is this one of the few times that a pulp cover had a cover illustration that coincides with a Lovecraft story contained inside?

Lovecraft didn't get many cover story spots. The only other one I can think of is also in Astounding Stories for "The Shadow Out of Time" in the June 1936 issue. I can't think of any Lovecraft covers for Weird Tales, but maybe I'm just forgetting.

Thanks guys! I'm really pleased with it.

On a related note, today is the 76th anniversary of Lovecraft's death on March 15, 1937. :( R.I.P. Howard.

You mean R.I.P. Lovecraft. :gossip:

What's the 'H' stand for in 'H.P.'? :gossip:

lol

doh! I'm a dumazz.

Thanks guys! I'm really pleased with it.

On a related note, today is the 76th anniversary of Lovecraft's death on March 15, 1937. :( R.I.P. Howard.

You mean R.I.P. Lovecraft. :gossip:

What's the 'H' stand for in 'H.P.'? :gossip:

lol

doh! I'm a dumazz.

Nah, you've just got Howard on the brain. :cloud9:

Pardon the shill... I'll gladly remove this post if someone objects. Since pulp people probably do not also frequent the Comic Art Marketplace forum, I have an original illustration by Fred Humiston there for sale. I might also be interested in an early Weird Tales or quality shudder / weird menace pulp cover in trade.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6517083#Post6517083

Edited by *paull*

I picked up a collection a couple of weeks ago that will keep me entertained for a while- consisted of 500 pulps(mostly sci-fi but some other goodies), 700+ pulp fanzines/reprints & related, 800+ paperbacks, some misc HCs and other fun stuff. There were a small amount of 1950s mostly crime comics as well(already posted here on the boards).

Just wanted to share a couple of pics, let me know if you want to swing by and pull up a chair for some reading!

Pile o' fanzines. Incomplete runs of Pulp Collector 1-up, Pulp Vault 1-up, Echoes 1-up, Xenophile, Golden Perils and many more dating back to 1965.

pulp1.JPG

Haven't had one of these for a bit, love the cover

startling150.JPG

High grade Private Detective, woman tied to radiator and about to be beaten with bullwhip!

PrivateDetective.JPG

I have an accumulation of romance pulps that I've posted pics of before, and when the seller found out I was a fan of the genre he dug out a letter from romance pulp editor Daisy Bacon and gave it to me- it was quite an unexpected treat! Letter is pictured with book about her.

DaisyBacon.JPG

Among the misc items were some other mags, including this nice decapitation cover

DetMag.JPG

Fun stuff!

I picked up a collection a couple of weeks ago that will keep me entertained for a while- consisted of 500 pulps(mostly sci-fi but some other goodies), 700+ pulp fanzines/reprints & related, 800+ paperbacks, some misc HCs and other fun stuff. There were a small amount of 1950s mostly crime comics as well(already posted here on the boards).

Just wanted to share a couple of pics, let me know if you want to swing by and pull up a chair for some reading!

Pile o' fanzines. Incomplete runs of Pulp Collector 1-up, Pulp Vault 1-up, Echoes 1-up, Xenophile, Golden Perils and many more dating back to 1965.

pulp1.JPG

Fun stuff!

Great stuff! Any Amras or Howard Collectors in those fanzines?

No Amras, I think I saw a Howard Review but no Howard Collectors. There is still more for me to sort!

Cool let me know what you find.

There is all sorts of RE Howard material in the fanzines, and these are some specific publications:

14691.jpg14692.jpg14693.jpg14694.jpg

The Howard review is the 2nd edition of #1, the Two Against Tyre is the numbered(80/600) edition

pulp1.JPG

Fun stuff!

Is there a Destiny Science Fiction #2 in there?

pulp1.JPG

Fun stuff!

Is there a Destiny Science Fiction #2 in there?

Almost done sorting, have not seen that.

A couple of keepers I've scanned....

Clues Detective Stories July, 1934

14717.jpg

Battle Birds (2nd Series) Feb, 1940 (#1)

14710.jpg