• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A first for comics... courtesy of Sandman

24 posts in this topic

I was little surprised no one had mentioned this here yet... From the Diamond website yesterday.

DC/Vertigo’s Sandman: Endless Nights Ranked on NY Times Best-Seller List!

Lead Stories, Diamond Daily, Monday, October 06, 2003

The Sandman: Endless Nights HC (STAR19617D)

DC Comics/Vertigo have announced that the Neil Gaiman-written The Sandman: Endless Nights HC (STAR19617D) debuted at #20 on the New York Times Best-Seller List for Hardcover Fiction, marking the first time ever that an American comic book publisher has earned a spot on the prestigious list.

The fast-selling, original graphic novel, which was released on September 17, is a collection of seven dark and beautiful short stories -- one each for the Endless siblings: Death, Desire, Despair, Delirium, Destruction, Destiny, and Dream. Seven of the world's top artists illustrated these stories of literature's most dysfunctional family, showcasing not only the amazingly diverse and individual style of each artist, but also Gaiman's most magnificent storytelling.

"We are extremely proud to have this extraordinary graphic novel mark the growing importance of the category to book buyers across the country, and congratulate Neil and join him in thanking his readers," said DC President & Publisher Paul Levitz.

Graphic novels are a growing category in bookstores and comics shops. In the English-speaking world, The Sandman: Endless Nights has been recognized as a turning point for the genre by sources from the New York Times and Entertainment Weekly to USA Today and Publishers Weekly -- confirm additional copies for your store today!

Oh, did you want one? insane.gifflowerred.gif

I'll have the full scoop for you later today. I was waiting to hear back from my Diamond rep on a couple things and he finally returned my call about an hour ago. Once I finish moving this cord of wood (hopefully before it starts raining again), you're next up on my list. Seems like my days off are five times as busy as the days I am at the shop...

Oh, did you want one? insane.gifflowerred.gif

I'll have the full scoop for you later today. I was waiting to hear back from my Diamond rep on a couple things and he finally returned my call about an hour ago. Once I finish moving this cord of wood (hopefully before it starts raining again), you're next up on my list. Seems like my days off are five times as busy as the days I am at the shop...

cloud9.gifthumbsup2.gif

I never read Sandman, It's a good book to read?

foreheadslap.gif

blush.gif I think that means OF COURSE!!!! great, smile.gif

any sugestions? or any book it's ok?

Start at the beginning, but force yourself to continue reading at least through 30 pages no matter what... That first 15 pages or so is really dry and a lot of people give up on it. But it gets sooooo much better...

Start at the beginning, but force yourself to continue reading at least through 30 pages no matter what... That first 15 pages or so is really dry and a lot of people give up on it. But it gets sooooo much better...

That's about the new book or any book of sandman?

That's about the new book or any book of sandman?

Best to start at the beginning with the first trade paperback... and that's the one that's pretty dry for 15-20 pages...

I started with the Season of Mists, which is a good enough place to start. It is Book 4. Book 2, A Doll's House is also a nice jumping in point. The first book is worst, imo, though still worth the time to read. But it you start there you might not really "get" the whole series, as it took Gaiman awhile to figure out what the heck he was doing.

didn't they split it, driningberg drew the first couple and then jones? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif i can't remember, this was back in 1991. confused-smiley-013.gifeither way, sandman didn't start getting good untill the intro of his older sister "death" in issue #8 "the sound of her wings". 893applaud-thumb.gif

Cover to TPB states, Illustrated by:

Kelley Jones

Mike Dringenberg

Malcolm Jones III

Matt Wagner

Giordano

George Pratt

P. Craig Russell

And, Edian, to answer your question, Yes! It is a marvelous series. As House said, stick w/ it. It's a little confusing at first, but you'll be really into it by the end of the first trade. "Season of Mists" was my favorite storyline as well. But most of the issues are fabulous. One of the best books of alltime.

I'm almost finished reading "Endless Nights", and it's great that it is getting some well-deserved attention. The Chapters of "Despair" and "Delerium" are amazing. I'd suggest reading the TPB's at least thru #4 (Season of Mists) before you read "Endless Nights". Those will give you a good intro to all the Endless before you go much deeper w/ Endless Nights.

Chris

And, Edian, to answer your question, Yes! It is a marvelous series. As House said, stick w/ it. It's a little confusing at first, but you'll be really into it by the end of the first trade. "Season of Mists" was my favorite storyline as well. But most of the issues are fabulous. One of the best books of alltime.

I'm almost finished reading "Endless Nights", and it's great that it is getting some well-deserved attention. The Chapters of "Despair" and "Delerium" are amazing. I'd suggest reading the TPB's at least thru #4 (Season of Mists) before you read "Endless Nights". Those will give you a good intro to all the Endless before you go much deeper w/ Endless Nights.

Chris

Thanks Chris, I'm going to look for the TPB's and read them, thanks again.