• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is ebay about to end all sniping?

322 posts in this topic

using sniping software sucks. I hope they can end the practice.

If you want an item...bid on it and sit your tail in front of the computer til the auction ends.

using sniping software is cheating.

Sour grapes from a loser... :makepoint:

:sumo:

jonesper :whistle:

Bastiche :censored:

If you want an item...bid on it and sit your tail in front of the computer til the auction ends.

jonesper :whistle:

Bastiche :censored:

:cry:

I hate being called a cheater...sniping is a tool used by me and millions others in order to increase the chances of winning a book at a predetermined maximum price...

I hate being called a cheater...sniping is a tool used by me and millions others in order to increase the chances of winning a book at a predetermined maximum price...

Not for long..... :whistle:

Yup, Yahoo ended the auctions. There's plenty of chatter about high level purchases. I think instead of anyone trying to create competition for eBay -- a decidedly uphill battle, unfortunately -- rumors are flying that Yahoo may "buy" eBay (parenthesis because eBay is worth more than Yahoo right now.)

The story.

The only companies with the cash and synergies to attack ebay are Microsoft and especially Google. Microsoft teamed up with Amazon in the late 90's to try to attack ebay, but it didn't work out, probably because sellers still loved ebay at the time. If they did it again today and put $$$$$$$ behind it, they could steal some ebay business.

But Google has the cash and muscle to take at least 50% of ebay's business away from them. And given Google's desire to dominate every aspect of the internet, I am surprised they have not done it yet. Maybe they are just waiting to buy ebay outright when the stock sinks low enough.

Just curious ... does sniping software work on ComicLink or Heritage?

I think there may be some type of software out there since I have seen bids placed within 3 seconds of the auction ending on heritage...

then my tools will be my finger and a stopwatch... ;)

On a serious note, how is this going to work with eBay's "one click bid", where you can automatically bid up to the next increment really fast? It won't be able to work if a manual number has to be entered. (shrug)

I've never used any of them so, if you don't mind, another question ... what's the difference between sniping and setting a max bid by simply putting it into the auction on eBay?

Meaning, setting sniping software at $100 and putting a bit in of $100 when the current price is twenty bucks or so ...

On a serious note, how is this going to work with eBay's "one click bid", where you can automatically bid up to the next increment really fast? It won't be able to work if a manual number has to be entered. (shrug)

Dunno...haven't explored that yet... hm

then my tools will be my finger and a stopwatch... ;)

(thumbs u

Yup, Yahoo ended the auctions. There's plenty of chatter about high level purchases. I think instead of anyone trying to create competition for eBay -- a decidedly uphill battle, unfortunately -- rumors are flying that Yahoo may "buy" eBay (parenthesis because eBay is worth more than Yahoo right now.)

The story.

The only companies with the cash and synergies to attack ebay are Microsoft and especially Google. Microsoft teamed up with Amazon in the late 90's to try to attack ebay, but it didn't work out, probably because sellers still loved ebay at the time. If they did it again today and put $$$$$$$ behind it, they could steal some ebay business.

But Google has the cash and muscle to take at least 50% of ebay's business away from them. And given Google's desire to dominate every aspect of the internet, I am surprised they have not done it yet. Maybe they are just waiting to buy ebay outright when the stock sinks low enough.

If the 800lbder bought feeBay then there never would be anyone to challenge them. Fees would rise and rise.

We need Google to start their own auction site :wishluck: Competition!!

Or bring on some Teddy R. style trust bustin' :sumo:

This'll never happen, of course, but the best company in position to compete may be Craigslist as folks are already trained to go there to look for goods. But the mission won't allow it.

Maybe Amazon starting small, like a "liquidation auction" or something where they sell bulk "leftovers" ... might not be a bad way to test the market.

I use a sniping service because I either forget to bid on an item or I fall asleep waiting for the auction to end.

I think sellers will realize lower selling prices if eBay does away with snipe bids simple because there will be fewer people bidding on the auction because they miss it altogether. I mean which would you rather do, wait on an auction on eBay or go out to dinner and a show?

I think it will push more sellers to consignment sites.

I agree.

Bid the highest you will go, and walk away. Come back when auction ends. If you win, you win. If not, move on.

Sniping is just a sign of immaturity and/or insecurity in knowing the value of what you're biddding on IMO...

And the "I'm lazy" angle doesn't work either....you can place your bid, say, a full day before the end of the auction if you decide you want it and know what to pay for it.

I can't fairly compete without sniping software as most auctions end at 4 AM for me...and even if I stay up, I'm not as fit and dexterous then as I should be to manually snipe (shrug)

Why don't you just decide on a price, and bid it before you go to bed? (shrug)

Because it leaves you open to shilling...especially with the new "hide-IDs" that ebay uses and it shows your hand too early.