• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is ebay about to end all sniping?

322 posts in this topic

And unless somebody proves to me that they save money by using a sniping service, I will call such services useless. And these mythical "shills", and "punishment bidders" that are so abundant that you have to look around every corner before bidding really don't count. If they're so common, point me to 5 auctions where somebody, anybody, lost money by regular bidding instead of sniping.

How do you keep the sand out of your nose when your head's constantly buried in it?

Nice proof... Get your doctoral from statements like that? :)

Actually, I got my doctorate by studying prehistoric man.

Would you like me to tell you a little about Stannum Limpus Erectus?

You can receive doctorates in self exploration and psychology? Cool

At Snotnose Little *spoon* University? Nice program. Go Little *spoons*!!!!

Did you seriously just use a "I'm rubber and you're glue" type of insult?

Perhaps you should remove your tongue from Stannums rectum before trying to stick up for him again. It probably won't help...but it certainly couldn't hurt.

Who give a ding dang about Stannum? Im just poking the troll with a stick.

Postcount ++

:baiting: Your turn.

Look...I don't mean to hurt your feelings, or to imply that you're ugly...and I certainly don't mean to infer that you're stupid.

However...if someone took your face, and pressed it in dough....they could make one helluva gorilla cookie.

(Ok...I guess I did mean to do all of those things).

And unless somebody proves to me that they save money by using a sniping service, I will call such services useless. And these mythical "shills", and "punishment bidders" that are so abundant that you have to look around every corner before bidding really don't count. If they're so common, point me to 5 auctions where somebody, anybody, lost money by regular bidding instead of sniping.

How do you keep the sand out of your nose when your head's constantly buried in it?

Sure, since Limpus Erectus would be an oxymoron.

If you leave out the "oxy" part, you've got a pretty good one word description of him.

Sure, since Limpus Erectus would be an oxymoron, if Limpus was an acutal Latin or Greek term, I'm having difficulty believing you are clever enough to try to hit me with an oxymoron insult in Latin, so I'll see it as a juvenile attempt at a insult, and declare ShoNuff Maximus Minimus, finally, and forever, :winnah: Who can beat the cleverness of a insult :shrug:

It is both a joke and an oxymoron.

It's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinkin' they the Last Dragon that gives kung-fu a bad name.

Sure, since Limpus Erectus would be an oxymoron, if Limpus was an acutal Latin or Greek term, I'm having difficulty believing you are clever enough to try to hit me with an oxymoron insult in Latin, so I'll see it as a juvenile attempt at a insult, and declare ShoNuff Maximus Minimus, finally, and forever, :winnah: Who can beat the cleverness of a insult :shrug:

It is both a joke and an oxymoron.

It's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinkin' they the Last Dragon that gives kung-fu a bad name.

lol(worship)

And unless somebody proves to me that they save money by using a sniping service, I will call such services useless.

Two VERY common scenarios. Sniping protects against incrimental bidding, which a LOT of people use (including me at times).

Scenario one:

1st bidder: Opening bid of $1, with a max of $10.

2nd bidder (me): I enter my max at $50, bidding sits at $11

3rd bidder: Bids at $5 increments. Hits top bid with $51, max at $55 after nine bids ($15, $20, $25, $30, $35, $40, $45, $50, $55).

Result: 3rd bidder wins at $51.

Scenario two:

1st bidder: Opening bid of $1, with a max of $10

2nd bidder: Bids at $5 increments. Hits top bid with $11, max at $15 after three bids ($5, $10, $15).

3rd bidder (me): Snipe at my max of $50, hit top bid at $16.

Result: I win at $16, I win AND save money by not putting in my max early.

You assume (incorrectly) that everyone bids by entering their max first. Many don't. They bid by specific increments and stop just after the previous bidder's max has been beaten. I see it all the time.

:applause:

An actual valid scenario where sniping might save you money.

Thanks for the response. It's a very specific scenario that becomes invalid as soon as the layout (order of bidders, etc) changes, but it's still valid as is, and does happen. If it's worth the cost of sniping software and the minor extra time it takes to set, more power to ya. It's still a waste to me.

If you leave out the "oxy" part, you've got a pretty good one word description of him.

:Winnah:

:Winnah:

mojr1.jpg

Perhaps you should remove your tongue from Stannums rectum before trying to stick up for him again. It probably won't help...but it certainly couldn't hurt.

Postcount ++

Look...I don't mean to hurt your feelings, or to imply that you're ugly...and I certainly don't mean to infer that you're stupid.

However...if someone took your face, and pressed it in dough....they could make one helluva gorilla cookie.

Aunt Esther: Who you calling ugly, sucker?

Fred Sanford: I'm calling you ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies.

Sanford & Son quotes FTW!!! That was a knockout punch.

pwned.gif

Postcount ++

Aunt Esther: Who you calling ugly, sucker?

Fred Sanford: I'm calling you ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies.

Sanford & Son quotes FTW!!! That was a knockout punch.

So you're saying the Sanford and Son show stole my idea? :o

I'll have to contact them and demand royalties.

Thanks for pointing that out, Butt-Licker. (thumbs u

So, what made you chose the Latin/technical name for tin as your board name, Mr. Tin Man? hm

Long story: Techincally, uber-geek and largely irrelevant D&D references, along with:

Tin is the first part of my last name. (Brilliant, huh?) :)

I often do go by Tin Man in many other boards for multiple references, but that's often taken...