• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comico's Grendel 3-issue series by Matt Wagner

12 posts in this topic

If anyone enjoys this series but did not get the 20th anniversary HC - I highly recommend it!

My question is, did Wagner ever answer or continue what happened after #3? I know Devil By the Deed goes over the history in a broad swath and covers it - but did Wagner ever explain why the series ended at #3 on a cliffhanger and if he ever plotted out more issues and what was supposed to happen? It appears that the rooftop storytelling was to culminate in a battle to the death, which Rose loses...but I was wondering if Wagner ever explained what happened at Comico after issue #3...

Matt's usually at SDCC, so you should ask him in person. My understanding is it was partly about timing, given that he was offered the opportunity to restart the story as a back-up in Mage. He would do these in color as well. In addition, I think he decided to change the way he drew them, as you can tell in Devil by the Deed. The art is phenomenal in that series, and significantly different than the art in Grendel 1-3.

I really liked this series too, and the HC's that Dark Horse put out recently really are fantastic. I'm still looking for Grendel #2 to complete my set of those 4 early issues from Comico tho... But having that hardcover is really great.

The art did improve in Devil By Deed, but there's definitely something raw about the earlier work that I really like. It's unpolished quality really gives the feeling of, "Wow, this guy really likes what he's doing and just really wants to tell this story." And... I dunno... it feels good to read those.

And if anyone's looking to offload a #2.... :)

I really liked this series too, and the HC's that Dark Horse put out recently really are fantastic. I'm still looking for Grendel #2 to complete my set of those 4 early issues from Comico tho... But having that hardcover is really great.

The art did improve in Devil By Deed, but there's definitely something raw about the earlier work that I really like. It's unpolished quality really gives the feeling of, "Wow, this guy really likes what he's doing and just really wants to tell this story." And... I dunno... it feels good to read those.

And if anyone's looking to offload a #2.... :)

What is it with issue 2? That's the one I never picked up either. (shrug)

they were all tough back in the day. Now high grade Primer 2s are as common as air.

It was either a warehouse find or the publisher/distributer going bankrupt and the subsequent liquidation that led to a flood of copies hitting the market.

Three to four years ago I bought 3 Primer 2s off of Kochcom on ebay. Two came back graded at 9.6. He had a supply of those HG books for a long time. I should have picked up more. This makes me think there was something out there at the time (warehouse find/distributor liquidation) that gave him the stock.

Three to four years ago I bought 3 Primer 2s off of Kochcom on ebay. Two came back graded at 9.6. He had a supply of those HG books for a long time. I should have picked up more. This makes me think there was something out there at the time (warehouse find/distributor liquidation) that gave him the stock.

I bought mine from Kochcom too. Unfortunately they only came back 9.4's and 9.2's. He used to have 4-5 Primer #2's going on ebay each week for the longest time. I heard rumors that they were from a warehouse find.

I bought mine from Kochcom too. Unfortunately they only came back 9.4's and 9.2's. He used to have 4-5 Primer #2's going on ebay each week for the longest time. I heard rumors that they were from a warehouse find.

Yep, they bought all of Comico's back stock inventory. They literally had 100's of Primer #2's in high grade that they actually undergraded and sold for cheap. Every Kochcom copy I ever heard of were all coming back from CGC at 9.0 to 9.8! I contacted them about a year ago and he said he still had a few copies but they were lower grade and he wanted over $100 each.

-William

funny... that's where I got mine too... I haven't had it graded, but I gave it a NM-

2-NM-.jpg