• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Non-Comic Comic OA

15 posts in this topic

I've just come across Art Adams' t-shirt design for Monkeyman & O'Brien. (I could have loved M&O'B, if more had been done with them.) It's a great piece of Adams' art, to my mind, but unfortunately resides outside of my price range right now. Still, it's a solid piece of comic OA -- except, of course, that it was meant to appear on a t-shirt, not in a comic.

Which made me wonder: What kind of collector's value is there in comic-oriented art that hasn't appeared in a comic? I'm thinking of t-shirt designs, toy packaging, ad pieces for upcoming comics, that kind of thing.

And...are there any other rare and wonderful pieces out there?

I've just come across Art Adams' t-shirt design for Monkeyman & O'Brien. (I could have loved M&O'B, if more had been done with them.) It's a great piece of Adams' art, to my mind, but unfortunately resides outside of my price range right now. Still, it's a solid piece of comic OA -- except, of course, that it was meant to appear on a t-shirt, not in a comic.

Which made me wonder: What kind of collector's value is there in comic-oriented art that hasn't appeared in a comic? I'm thinking of t-shirt designs, toy packaging, ad pieces for upcoming comics, that kind of thing.

And...are there any other rare and wonderful pieces out there?

Bruce Timm did an entire line of designs for Marvel that were used for T-shirts, posters and merchandising. Timm's designs were also used for all those great Batman Animated series toys, books, and various items.

Dale Keown designed the image that was used on all of the Hulk movie merchandising, toys, posters, and was used over and over again on posters and permiums.

Those are just a couple, they command nice prices.

Best,

C

I've got an Adam Hughes piece that was a non-comics character done as a poster for a comic shop. There are no shortage of people making me offers on it.

I remember a Wonder Woman piece he did for a non-comic design (either a shirt or a plate) selling for a pretty good price a while ago.

Unpublished con sketches and commissions have good resale value as long as it's a good piece by a good artist.

So I don't think that it MUST be a published piece of comic OA to be worth something.

It doesn't hurt though. ;)

I've got an Adam Hughes piece that was a non-comics character done as a poster for a comic shop. There are no shortage of people making me offers on it.

I remember a Wonder Woman piece he did for a non-comic design (either a shirt or a plate) selling for a pretty good price a while ago.

Unpublished con sketches and commissions have good resale value as long as it's a good piece by a good artist.

So I don't think that it MUST be a published piece of comic OA to be worth something.

It doesn't hurt though. ;)

Yes! The Sally piece you have is beautiful, Gorgeous, just...just.... :cloud9::cloud9:

I have three pieces that Scot Eaton did for Marvel's 2005 Style Guide which are then used for various Marvel products. These three 11x17 pages were all digitally merged and colored by Brian Haberlin (who did a fantastic job IMHO). They all ended up being used on the My Marvel Monopoly game by USA OPOLY which recently came out. Published in a comic or published on a product (in this case a Monoply game), these are fantastic pieces in my opinion. You just aren't going to find many pieces that have this amount of Marvel characters all in one place. I shudder to think what these pieces might cost as a commission from a big name artist. I bought these from Scot for what I consider to be a steal and have no doubt I could turn a nice profit on them if I ever decided to sell them. He is truly one of the good guys out there. Scot may not be considered one of the "hot" artists out there, but he is a fine penciler in my opinion. He draws heavyweight characters very well and had a fine run on Thor. I've always thought he would do well on the Hulk as well.

Chris (thumbs u

Heroes_vs_Villains_1_eaton.jpg

Heroes_vs_Villains_2_eaton.jpg

Heroes_vs_Villains_3_eaton.jpg

Heroes_vs_Villains_Eaton.jpg

heroes_vs_villains_monopoly.jpg

I actually forgot another non comic published piece that I own. It is a piece that was done by Dave Watkins for the Lamar Snowboard company and used on their snowboard model called "Slayer". The detail on this piece is amazing!

Slayer_watkins.jpg

Slayer_Snowboards.jpg

Jose Garcia Lopez, Jim Aparo, & Carmine Infantino also did some art that was was used for toys, t shirts, lunch boxes, etc.....

Heritage had Infantino's art from the 60's or 70s that was used for t shirts featuring Joker, Penguin, & Catwoman for sale about 1-2 years ago.....They didn't sell, but when I have time, I can research the archives and find the auctions.....They were in that 20K range ! - I'd love the Joker one !

I have three pieces that Scot Eaton did for Marvel's 2005 Style Guide which are then used for various Marvel products. These three 11x17 pages were all digitally merged and colored by Brian Haberlin (who did a fantastic job IMHO). They all ended up being used on the My Marvel Monopoly game by USA OPOLY which recently came out. Published in a comic or published on a product (in this case a Monoply game), these are fantastic pieces in my opinion. You just aren't going to find many pieces that have this amount of Marvel characters all in one place. I shudder to think what these pieces might cost as a commission from a big name artist. I bought these from Scot for what I consider to be a steal and have no doubt I could turn a nice profit on them if I ever decided to sell them. He is truly one of the good guys out there. Scot may not be considered one of the "hot" artists out there, but he is a fine penciler in my opinion. He draws heavyweight characters very well and had a fine run on Thor. I've always thought he would do well on the Hulk as well.

Chris (thumbs u

Chris those are fantastic! Great artwork to have. The coloring is very good also.

Chris those are fantastic! Great artwork to have. The coloring is very good also.

Thanks for the kind words grandz. I agree that Brian Haberlin did a bang up job on the digital coloring. I wish that they would issue this one as a poster.