• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Philadelphia comic shops

20 posts in this topic

My favorite store in Philadelphia was Showcase Comics

Store Hours and Locations

Bryn Mawr Store

874 W. Lancaster Ave.

Bryn Mawr, PA 19010

Mon., Tues., Thur.

Wed., Fri, Sat.

Sunday

610-527-6236

10:00am - 7pm

10:00am - 9pm

11:30am - 6pm

Granite Run Mall Store

1067 W. Baltimore Pike

Media, PA 19063

Monday - Saturday

Sunday

610-891-9229

10am - 9:30pm

11am - 6:00pm

Another store that I used to visit was ran by Bob Horn

Captain Blue Hen Comics

1800 Lincoln Hwy E

Lancaster, Pennsylvania 17602

(717) 397-8011

Captain Blue Hen Comics is the one-stop provider of comic books store in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. Stop by our location in charming Lancaster to see us or call us at (717) 397-8011. At Captain Blue Hen Comics we are reliable and committed to serving all of your comic books store needs. We strive to offer a high level of service and quality in everything we do.

Isn't Joe Verenault in Philly?

I think Passaic, NJ...close!

Passaic is in North Jersey, Joe is in South Jersey. Passaic used to house the Passaic Book Shop where many old time jersey collector filled out their collection.

Stores in Philadelphia:

Showcase/Atomic City (in between 6th and 7th on South St.) -- disorganized store, overpriced, over graded books.

Fat Jack's (20th and Sansom): not a bad store, not much in the line of GA. A few GA Actions on the wall, not much else in the line of GA. Grade fairly, some staff are really nice, others not so much.

Ontario St. Market: Disorganized store, waste of time.

There's a few others inside the city but not down town... nothing in the line of substantial GA.

As I said, having been to places like Nashville, Chicago, Houston, New York etc., seems like every other city I go to I find great vintage issues... Philly is one of the driest spots I've ever been in (in terms of storefronts).

You could always call Dave Reynolds, he's in King of Prussia, lots of nice stuff.

South Jersey. I'm not sure how you'd get to see him though... you could email him. The post seemed to be for stores.

For some reason I seem to recall Joe telling me his office was located in a stripcenter/store-front.

The Showcase comics shop is on the main line from Philadelphia. You can catch a train at suburban station. The shop is only a few blocks from the Bryn Mawr station. I also found one listed on South Street (an interesting area to visit). Penn's Landing may be close to there or Univ of Penn. I haven't been to that one.

642 South St

Philadelphia, PA 19147-2102

Phone: (215) 625-9613

bb

South Jersey. I'm not sure how you'd get to see him though... you could email him. The post seemed to be for stores.

For some reason I seem to recall Joe telling me his office was located in a stripcenter/store-front.

That could very well be. I've never visited Joe outside of a show, but probably should do more business with him given his close proximity.

The Showcase comics shop is on the main line from Philadelphia. You can catch a train at suburban station. The shop is only a few blocks from the Bryn Mawr station. I also found one listed on South Street (an interesting area to visit). Penn's Landing may be close to there or Univ of Penn. I haven't been to that one.

642 South St

Philadelphia, PA 19147-2102

Phone: (215) 625-9613

bb

For someone visiting, let me just suggest that a "few blocks" from the train station, is a touch misleading as I have done this once or twice before and it's a bit of a haul walking once you get off the train, plus if you are not familiar with the area, it won't be super easy to make your way out to Lancaster Ave. Also, if you are looking for GA, it is certainly not worth the trip out there. While I love this store, it would be a waste of time for someone looking for high grade vintage or GA in any grade. If you want a really cool store, then yes, you should stop by.

The South St. store is near Penn's landing. Mike and Judy Clark sold the majority of their interest in the South St. store, and it has suffered for it. The management of the store is really not the greatest, but again, if you are looking for vintage stuff you can actually buy, this is probably not the place. Now that said, it is in the "center city area" and you could certainly find other stuff to do on South St.

Another store that I used to visit was ran by Bob Horn

Captain Blue Hen Comics

1800 Lincoln Hwy E

Lancaster, Pennsylvania 17602

(717) 397-8011

Captain Blue Hen Comics is the one-stop provider of comic books store in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. Stop by our location in charming Lancaster to see us or call us at (717) 397-8011. At Captain Blue Hen Comics we are reliable and committed to serving all of your comic books store needs. We strive to offer a high level of service and quality in everything we do.

Nice, I have been there before (years ago) :)

Contacting Dave Reynolds is a good idea. I sold him a few comics and traded for a bunch more. He always seemed fair. Email address used to be: davesamerican@earthlink.net

Dave stopped by my house a couple of times to do business. He had a nice selection of golden age stuff and Terry always supplied additional books when he needed them. Ask him what he did with that Suspense 3 that I sold him. Below is the companion Suspense 4 that I sold to someone else. Joyce Kaltenbach originally owned both books. All I have left is the picture (from an auction).

bb

2198104213_dc3bc3c548_b.jpg