• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are Atlas war titles that scarce?

13 posts in this topic

With just a fairly random look at the CGC census, I was surprised at the lack of representation from the Atlas war titles.

Intrigued mostly by the covers I have always kept an eye out for decent looking copies, and have thought that these were difficult to find in higher grades or even in FVF.

Are these that scarce or do they just not carry enough demand and value to justify grading?

Is it possible that the Salida copies are some of the only existing hig grade copies?

A little of both. Most people who buy them have no desire to slab them. However, they are exceedingly difficult to find in grade. A nice FN is almost the best you can hope for at times. I'll try to dig out a few of my nicer books for ya...

edit: These are ones I happen to have scanned. I have maybe 12 or so in nice shape. That's years worth of work for a cheap-o like me.

51047-battle10.jpg.c41d5b5636ff663b7907809b9824ad16.jpg

51048-battlefield2.jpg.1dc38821f511b2fe597ca66fbd14d66b.jpg

51049-Battlefield7a.jpg.381458c46706d86c2d2feca5d2b4e754.jpg

Very nice. I really like the Battlefield #7.

They're all :censored:.

:gossip: Buttock, I'll pay your postage just to take them off your hands.

With just a fairly random look at the CGC census, I was surprised at the lack of representation from the Atlas war titles.

Intrigued mostly by the covers I have always kept an eye out for decent looking copies, and have thought that these were difficult to find in higher grades or even in FVF.

Are these that scarce or do they just not carry enough demand and value to justify grading?

Is it possible that the Salida copies are some of the only existing hig grade copies?

Cheap books don't generally justify grading. When you were looking at the lack of graded Atlas War did you also look at other Atlas genre books and their CGC population? For example, Westerns? Crime? Satire? Teen Comics? Romance? Jungle? None of these will have very many graded comics. 40 day turnaround plus grading fees on a $75 book don't produce any significant incentive to slab. Nor does a $75 price significantly incentivize current owners from parting with their copy. I don't think the war books very common but we'll never know how uncommon they re until the price gets high to bring out the copies.

There are some nice copies out there.

Bethlehem

SgtBarneyBarker.jpg

Battlefront11.jpg

Salida

Battlefront19.jpg

River City

MensAdv20.jpg

Cheap books don't generally justify grading. When you were looking at the lack of graded Atlas War did you also look at other Atlas genre books and their CGC population? For example, Westerns? Crime? Satire? Teen Comics? Romance? Jungle? None of these will have very many graded comics. 40 day turnaround plus grading fees on a $75 book don't produce any significant incentive to slab. Nor does a $75 price significantly incentivize current owners from parting with their copy. I don't think the war books very common but we'll never know how uncommon they re until the price gets high to bring out the copies.

There are some nice copies out there.

Well said. But I think the main reason is becuase Atlas collectors like to read em!

BATTLE_63.jpg

BATTLE_65.jpg

BATTLE_68.jpg

BATTLE_70.jpg

SGTBB_03a.jpg

River City

MensAdv20.jpg

You've posted some nice books over the years, but this may be my favorite. I give it about 7 of these :cloud9: and 12 of these (worship) and a :applause: thrown in for good measure.

........wanna sell it.......?

"Nor does a $75 price significantly incentivize current owners from parting with their copy."

I'd say this has a lot to do with why there aren't many higher grade copies graded. As hard as these are to get why would anyone part with them at guide prices.

Here are a couple of the ones I been able to luck upon over the last few years.

Man15.jpg

Waradventures12f.jpg