• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Slightly OT-PSA to change to half point system. How would this make you feel...

19 posts in this topic

i dunno.

Last but not least, remember that cards submitted under this program will never be in jeopardy of going down in grade. So, the only risk in submitting cards under this new program would be the cost of the submission since there is no guarantee that the cards will reach the higher, half-point grade. In other words, cards submitted under this service will always be returned to the customer, at minimum, in the same grade they arrived in.

seems like a money grab for both sellers and PSA

i dunno.

Last but not least, remember that cards submitted under this program will never be in jeopardy of going down in grade. So, the only risk in submitting cards under this new program would be the cost of the submission since there is no guarantee that the cards will reach the higher, half-point grade. In other words, cards submitted under this service will always be returned to the customer, at minimum, in the same grade they arrived in.

Yep :thumbsup: Thats ridiculous, IMO

"Slightly" off-topic? This is the comics forum, isn't it?

Not trying to be difficult, though. I imagine that cardies are very interested. :hi:

I guess I wanted people to see what can happen. What if CGC were to change the grading scale 15 years into grading?? I think tons and tons of people would be pretty upset.

i dunno.

You think CGC is listening?

Introducing 9.3, 9.5 and 9.7...

Just submit your 9.2s, 9.4s and 9.6s. Worst case scenario is they stay the same...

This reminds me of those "Wizard Special Editions" that were CGC-graded 9.5. I never really understood why they wouldn't just issue 9.4s or 9.6s, so as not to confuse anyone. I think I'll go poke around the census for these, and see how these 9.5s are displayed.

People who have completed a set of say, 1954 Topps, probably spent years and years of researching, meticulously collecting cards over a long period of time, not necessarily for selling but for their personal collection. Now, they're being told if they want to upgrade their cards to the new ACTUAL grading representation, they have to spend an extremely high amount of money to have their cards regraded.

Ridiculous.

i dunno.

Just submit your 9.2s, 9.4s and 9.6s. Worst case scenario is they stay the same...

:tonofbricks:

i dunno.

Food for thought, CGC drops 9.2-9.8 and goes with the PSA model of 9.0 & 10.0 only, no inbetweens(other 1.5-8.5 grades still apply) hm

Did anyone other than myself find that it was weird how they added .5's everywhere EXCEPT for 9.5?

Now, to me, that makes much less sense than anything else they have done.

And while i understand some of the indignation here, going to a .5 increment scale seems to be a good thing.

Did anyone other than myself find that it was weird how they added .5's everywhere EXCEPT for 9.5?

Now, to me, that makes much less sense than anything else they have done.

And while i understand some of the indignation here, going to a .5 increment scale seems to be a good thing.

Just a brief bit of introduction here... there are three major card companies that grade cards, while PSA and BGS are the two most dominant players in the market.

Beckett grades cards according to four subcategories, and based on those grades gives the cards an overall grade. They have had the .5 grading category in place since their inception.

PSA on the other hand didn't have this .5 grading scale, so their "PSA 10" was the equivalent of BGS 9.5. BGS also has a "10" pristine grade -- but PSA doesn't have this grade. PSA would grade a pristine card the same grade they would give a gem mint card ("10").

Now, here is the dilemma: someone submits a near perfect card to PSA and it is returned with a 9.5 grade. They decide they want to sell their card on the auction block but their happens to be a similar PSA 10 card on the same site.

The buyer is going to purchase the 10. There is no differentiation between the old 10 and the new 10.

If PSA wanted to implement a 9.5 grading scale they would have to do something to the holder to differentiate the new grading methods from the old... maybe color or something like that.... but then, you have two cards both graded 10 with different value.

The whole thing would be a giant headache, but that's why, in my opinion, they didn't go with a 9.5 grading range.

"Slightly" off-topic? This is the comics forum, isn't it?

Not trying to be difficult, though. I imagine that cardies are very interested. :hi:

I guess I wanted people to see what can happen. What if CGC were to change the grading scale 15 years into grading?? I think tons and tons of people would be pretty upset.

There seem to be an awful lot of card threads starting up. Especially after they deleted the card portion of this site.