• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frazetta GRAIL day, month, year, decade, whatever!!!!

46 posts in this topic

The VAST majority of Frazetta oils are in Frank and Ellie's hands. Frank was one of the few artists that demanded that the art be returned after publication. That said, a number of oils have escaped into the public. There are likely 25-30 out in collectors hands but are nearly impossible to pry free. All the true iconic paintings are still with Frank and Ellie (Death Dealer, Egyptian Queen, etc).

I have a copy of the Russ Cochran catalog from the late 1970s/early 1980s that had this cover for sale. If I can find it, I will scan it and post the page. I believe the asking price was a few thousand dollars. Ugh!

This was a deal years in the making and I thank all my friends and fellow collectors who gave me encouragement to make it happen. I also want to thank the seller for making the deal possible. I finally have a nice high-res image of the piece out of the frame for all to enjoy.

So, without further ado, the original cover to Vampirella 5 by the Modern Master: Frank Frazetta:

Fraz2.jpg

That is by far the most incredible piece I've seen on these boards!!!! :o

Not an easy feat!!! (worship)

Super Congrats on this pick-up!!!!

Here is Russ Cochran's very first Graphic Gallery catalog from 1973. Inside you will find four Frazetta oils for sale including mine:

900600241.jpg

The sticker price kills me!!!

Yes, but back then that was a lot of money.

I'm curious. Can you tell if the oil or linseed oil is present on the masonite?

Or have the pigments held up through time? Thanks.

So, without further ado, the original cover to Vampirella 5 by the Modern Master: Frank Frazetta:

Fraz2.jpg

Sweet Lord in heaven! Absolutely beautiful!! Congratulations on an amazing purchase! (worship) (worship)

Yeah, as the seller told me. It's classic Frazetta with the three "B"s: babe, beast and barbarian!

Plus a little side view of a 4th "B" worth mentioning. Great piece!