• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will global recession affect comic valuations??

99 posts in this topic

Why do I smell so minty fresh? Is it due to all of the High Grade Goodness which surrounds me? No. It is because I've been taking a bath in the market for about 3 weeks.

lol Doh, I resemble that comment. :sorry:

Eh, who cares? There's always money to be made. You know what they say, when someone is losing bank someone else is making $$ :devil:

You just gotta move your game pieces around :applause:

I'm actually very bullish. Its just that being angry and complaining is more fun :headbang:

It's just that I have very little faith in the american people anymore, to do the right thing. Many of our corporations are unpatriotic, our citizams are greedy and fat and lazy and willing to give up many of their rights for cheap gas. People these days are rude and selfish and don't seem to consider the consequences of their actions. We are not willing to sacrifice anything for a common cause, it's no wonder the third world is going to eat us alive and many of the greedheads are going to be capitalizing on this to make themselves wealthier. We truly are headed for a fall.........or not. Just hedging my bet.

It's just that I have very little faith in the american people anymore, to do the right thing. Many of our corporations are unpatriotic, our citizams are greedy and fat and lazy and willing to give up many of their rights for cheap gas. People these days are rude and selfish and don't seem to consider the consequences of their actions. We are not willing to sacrifice anything for a common cause, it's no wonder the third world is going to eat us alive and many of the greedheads are going to be capitalizing on this to make themselves wealthier. We truly are headed for a fall.........or not. Just hedging my bet.

I recommend to movies for you to watch (Netflix) "Wagging a Living" and "Walmart, the high cost of low price".

I don't know if this helps the economy much, but I search out flea markets for old chisels and other hand tools (when I need them) , which were made in the US, pre 60's with top notch steel and workmanship....rather than buy a new set made in china, that won't hold an edge, is soft or brittle. Some of those chinese items are throwaway and a waste of money.

The loss of good manufacturing jobs in this country and greedy corporations moving their factories overseas to employ children and slave labor, is indicitive of the rot in our country.

Actually, this concept of child labour and slave labour is all relative as one person's garbage is often somebody else's treasure ! hm

Yes, being paid 10 RMB or the equivalent of just over $1.30 US a day to work in the overseas factories is indeed slave labour compared to the wages being paid in America. Yet those jobs are still highly prized in many countries as it is much better to be paid 10 RMB a day to do "soft" labour in an easy factory job as compared to being paid 2 RMB a day to do "hard" labour in the boiling hot farm fields with even longer hours.

The loss of good manufacturing jobs in this country and greedy corporations moving their factories overseas to employ children and slave labor, is indicitive of the rot in our country.

Actually, this concept of child labour and slave labour is all relative as one person's garbage is often somebody else's treasure ! hm

Yes, being paid 10 RMB or the equivalent of just over $1.30 US a day to work in the overseas factories is indeed slave labour compared to the wages being paid in America. Yet those jobs are still highly prized in many countries as it is much better to be paid 10 RMB a day to do "soft" labour in an easy factory job as compared to being paid 2 RMB a day to do "hard" labour in the boiling hot farm fields with even longer hours.

perspective...that is what it is about...

We are doing the little children a favor!! Cool!! Off to Wal-mart for me.

Tom Cruise to Matt Lauer: "You're glib Matt, you're glib". Cripes, quoting Tom Cruise!! I'm waaaay too sober!!

No...it's about greed and I doubt any of us would want our daughters working those soft jobs in those factories under those conditions.

No...it's about greed and I doubt any of us would want our daughters working those soft jobs in those factories under those conditions.

Daughter's? Sons don't count? ;)?

Seriously, I spent many years working with the unemployed, I was right in the middle of the last few recessions and all the changes...one of the keys is flexibility...people get used to doing something specific and sometimes, they just can't understand that with technology changing, the economy changing...that things sometimes have to be looked at in another way. After 9/11, lots of people had to make changes, most did...things happen, you adapt or give up.

My husband is an accountant, most of his clients are Limo Drivers...gas prices are bothering them, but...for the most part, they are not losing business...the same people keep hiring them.

I'm not seeing the sky falling yet...but I'd like to see some changes in our policy's, it's time. You can't keep giving away money to everyone ...even your parents can't ALWAYS bail you out. Some people might actually have to accept the fact they took a gamble and accept the loss. We bought another property a few years ago and were offfered one of those no interest loans...didn't even consider it for more than 30 seconds...but I'm not a gambler (except on mystery lots of comics;).

Yes, I would most definitely agree that it's all about perspective.

BH: It sounds like you would much rather throw your daughters out to the farm fields doing hard hard labour for a whole week to earn the same amount of pay they would otherwise receive in one day working in the factories. Either that or have your daughters servicing clients in other more immoral ways.

I am sure they would love to go to America to work, but they simply do not have that choice as that option is not part of their reality. hm

I didn't say anything of the kind and don't try to put words in my mouth . I think the way farm labor is set up stinks. I think it's immoral to use use illegal and legal farm workers they way we are using them and I think any company who profits from sweatshops should be ashamed of themselves.

One of my favorite things in life is when I get on my favorite comic book chat board to escape the cold cruel world. (I know, I work in a comic book store so the boards aren't that much of an escape.) But I especially love when I get on here to see what is going on in the comic book world and a real world political discussion breaks out. AWESOME!

A global economy, that's the ticket.

Can it work? Maybe someday. :wishluck:

Is the US greedy? Sure we are.

Is the rest of the world greedy? Absolutely.

Lend a hand to the less fortunate...

Let's all be greedy together! (thumbs u

One of my favorite things in life is when I get on my favorite comic book chat board to escape the cold cruel world. (I know, I work in a comic book store so the boards aren't that much of an escape.) But I especially love when I get on here to see what is going on in the comic book world and a real world political discussion breaks out. AWESOME!

A global economy, that's the ticket.

Can it work? Maybe someday. :wishluck:

Is the US greedy? Sure we are.

Is the rest of the world greedy? Absolutely.

Lend a hand to the less fortunate...

Let's all be greedy together! (thumbs u

BZ's thread seems pretty safe.

There's a rumour floating round that he hires illegals to bag and board his comics and to pick lint off the pulps. Oh wait... the rumour was about you. :o

That could be true, but I pay them very well.

They deserve it for all the hard work they do.

Sounds like you would want it that way!

There's a rumour floating round that he hires illegals to bag and board his comics and to pick lint off the pulps. Oh wait... the rumour was about you. :o

I would want legal aliens and legal workers to be payed well. Illegals should not be hired.

I would want legal aliens and legal workers to be payed well. Illegals should not be hired.

That's a shame. Will you bag my comics and pick the lint off my pulps?

I can't find anyone else who wants to do it.

They all think that kind of work is beneath them.

(BTW, try actually implementing that, and see if you can ever go have dinner at a restaurant again.)