• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics in the Bag?

6 posts in this topic

I keep a readers copy with each slabbed copy of the comics I collect. Currently, I place the slabbed book in a 3 mil reseable poly sleeve (from Bags Unlimited), and the reader copy in whatever bag/board they came in, or a Mylite2 if I replace the bag they came in.

The question is, do you think it is a bad idea to place the reader copy (in its bag with backing board) into the bag with the slabbed copy? I like the convenience of pulling out a slab and reading the comic with it, but I am unsure if there is any contamination, gases, etc I should worry about when placing a bag within a bag, especially if the 2 bags are not the same type.

Am I being paranoid?

- D.

This is an excellent question, and ties into a separate discussion/debate about whether to seal polybags or not. I've heard reasonable arguments on both sides of that debate...

I would say there may well be some risk in terms of trapped moisture, but this would probably depend on many variables; the climate where you live, for instance. I guess if you seal the 'inner' bag before inserting it in the 3mil 'slab bag' the chances of additional moisture making its way into the inner bag are pretty slim.

Only reason I don't mix slabbed with unslabbed... if you have the unslabbed book in with the slabbed and you have another similar pair placed next to it, there is a chance that you will not notice the unslabbed slide down to the bottom and when packing the pairs tight in the box, the slabbed copy's lower ridge will leave a nice indentation on your unslabbed...