• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC GRADING CONTEST - SIGN UP AND RULES

24 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I'm trying my hand at running a contest...a year long affair to be exact...

Very simple concept...I'm hoping this will catch on, because I think it sounds fun!

The premise of this contest is to check how close to CGC grading we really think we are...OR AREN'T :devil:

RULES (READ CAREFULLY!):

1) It's easy - Before you send your books to CGC, you list the books you are submitting and what EXACT grade you think they will get. Any PLODs or GLODs UNLESS STATED IN THE ORIGINAL GRADING GUESS will not count. For example, if you predict a 9.0 and it comes back a PLOD 9.0, the grade will not count.

INCLUDE PAGE QUALITY ON YOUR GUESS.

The scoring will consist of two separate statistics. EXACT numerical grade accuracy and PQ accuracy. You will only get credit for an EXACT numerical grade predicted. Under/Overgrading will not get you any points.

PQ will be a separate stat and not count against the numerical grade score. PQ accuracy percentage will be the tiebreaking factor in the case of a numerical grade tie!

2) Once you have posted your predicted grades, post a scan of your submission form with the books listed and the date legible. This is to try to help prevent any possible integrity malfunctions among Board Members (not implying anything, so don't take offense)

3) When they come back graded, you copy your original post with a quote (it will be double checked) and then post the results.

4) Scans of the books aren't necessary on the pre submission grading guess posts, but MANDATORY when posting results...the serial number of the slab must coincide with the book and the date it was submitted...Once the book has been graded and it's in the system you can post the link to the submission status results, or a large enough scan to where the serial number on the label of the book can be double checked to verify the date(s) are correct!

5) There will be a 20 book minimum for the year (grading tiers do not matter), with at least ONE book being submitted quarterly to prevent someone subbing 20 books in February, getting 100% and sitting on the score. It's supposed to be fun but fair at the same time...

The best percentage of accuracy of 20 or more books submitted will win. PQ will only come into play in the case of a tie.

Stats will be updated on a separate thread as each individual's results come back...

6) IF YOU WANT TO BE ENTERED IN THE CONTEST, SIMPLY MAKE POST IN THIS THREAD. CUTOFF DATE FOR ENTRY IS 27 JANUARY 2008. (1 week from today)

I need a minimum of 20 participants signed up before the start date otherwise there will be noe contest :makepoint:

7) End date of this contest is Jan 31st, 2009 (any submission results MUST be posted by then)

8) There will be prizes for 1st, 2nd & 3rd place

Contest Winner will be announced on 1 Feb 2009

If someone wants to help me keep track of the stats it would be much appreciated

Volunteers anyone? :wishluck:

That's an ambitious game! But if it happens, I'm game.

I'll be submitting a bunch of books sometime fairly soon.

Could be embarrassing though, if I say they're all going to be 9.8's and they come back ranging from 6.0 - 9.0 :eek:

That's a thought. Predicting grades on minty moderns is a LOT easier than F-VFish silver etc. You might want to think about a way of scoring that difference, or of insisting on a range of grades or tiers (shrug)

I'll be submitting a bunch of books sometime fairly soon.

Could be embarrassing though, if I say they're all going to be 9.8's and they come back ranging from 6.0 - 9.0 :eek:

That's a thought. Predicting grades on minty moderns is a LOT easier than F-VFish silver etc. You might want to think about a way of scoring that difference, or of insisting on a range of grades or tiers (shrug)

That's a great idea! I will try to figure a fair way to do the scoring. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I want to make it fair (yet fun) for everyone. Yes sending in a bunch of 9.6's moderns can be redundant without some form of disparity.. Gives someone who only uses the Modern tier an advantage over someone who only sends in GA/ SA

Looks like I WILL have to use scoring after all, instead of simple percentage correct :pullhair: Maybe a higher score for grades under 9.0? hm

I will ponder this. Again, suggestions will be helpful...

Thomas

I think that hellblazer brings up a very legitimate point here. if someone were to submit 20 moderns that all looked almost perfect, the chance of getting all 9.8's and 9.6's would be quite high, indeed.

on the other hand, if someone were to submit mostly mid-highgrade SA books, the

percentages would drop dramatically...........and mid grade GA subs would probably be even tougher.

not to complicate things further, but it would really take some sort of sliding scale where a 9.6 got "X" and an 8.0 got "X" plus and a 6.5 got "X" plus/plus.........and so on.................... (shrug)

have to ask what is a plod & glod ?

Purple label of Death - book has some kind of restoration

Green label of Death - problems like pulled staple or page missing

Here's a more detailed description of the different labels:

http://www.cgccomics.com/grading/label_description.asp

labels-CGC.png

:busy:

51312-X-men272CGC92.jpg.2be0a7e24e0f2eac33751447b71e1a36.jpg

I think that hellblazer brings up a very legitimate point here. if someone were to submit 20 moderns that all looked almost perfect, the chance of getting all 9.8's and 9.6's would be quite high, indeed.

on the other hand, if someone were to submit mostly mid-highgrade SA books, the

percentages would drop dramatically...........and mid grade GA subs would probably be even tougher.

not to complicate things further, but it would really take some sort of sliding scale where a 9.6 got "X" and an 8.0 got "X" plus and a 6.5 got "X" plus/plus.........and so on.................... (shrug)

I think Points should ONLY be awarded for exact grade predicted successfully. This isn't a contest to see who has the best books, it's to see who can grade their books the closest to CGC standards as possible

Maybe...

Moderns are worth 2 points per correct guess

BA/CA - 3 points

GA/SA - 5 points

Perhaps make a limit on how many moderns can actually be used for the contest.

No more than half of contest entries can be moderns? Or if we have the moderns scoring lower, the other BA/SA's would also come into play.

Getting EXACT PQ on anything but moderns would be worth a bonus point?

Getting EXACT PQ on anything but moderns would be worth a bonus point?

guessing PQ exactly should definitely be worth points to the participants. it really is an important aspect of comics grading even if it has been a little foggy how much CGC factors PQ into their technical grade.

Still trying to figure this out to make it more (excuse the term) universal & enjoyable. It's more difficult than I initially thought, as some forumites have brought up some good points. I wanted to keep it a simple matter of percentages, but would that really be fair if someone threw all moderns in? Predicting what CGC will grade is hard enough, and I think in the end it will take care of itself, but that's my opinion...

I'm thinking two different methods:

(20 book minimum - not sure if there should be a maximum)

1) Keeping it simple as a matter of percentage - Hit or miss NUMERICAL grade (No more than 10 moderns allowed) AND guess PQ for each book as a separate stat in case of a tie

For example:

djpinkpanther67 sends in 5 books to be graded:

djpp predicts:

FF #37 - 9.0 OW/W

FF #59 - 9.2 OW/W

FF #83 - 9.2 OW/W

FF #100 - 9.0 OW/W

RESULTS from CGC

FF #37 - 8.5 OW/W

FF #59 - 9.2 OW/W

FF #83 - 9.0 OW/W

FF #100 - 9.0 WP

Score would be 50%, plus 3 PQ bonus points (or keep PQ as a percentage 75%)

2) Keep score with penalties for under/overgrading the highest score at the end of the year wins (I'm not sure if this is fair, as some folks who sub more would have an advantage as their sheer numbers would overwhelm :eek: ). PQ is a bonus point. No limit for moderns but they won't be worth nearly as much as GA/SA, and the penalty for screwing up a modern grade will be higher

GA/SA score 5 points for correct guess (-1 for undergrading/overgrading) (PLOD/GLOD -5 UNLESS GUESSED AS SUCH)

BA - score 4 points for each correct guess (-2 for UG/OG)(PLOD/GLOD -4 UNLESS GUESSED AS SUCH)

CA/moderns - Score 3 points for correct grade (-3 for UG/OG, PLOD/GLOD)

Getting the PQ right would be worth a point regardless, getting it wrong is no points

For example:

djpinkpanther67 sends in 5 books to be graded - his guesses:

FF #37 - 9.0 OW/W

FF #59 - 9.2 OW/W

FF #83 - 9.2 OW/W

FF #100 - 9.0 OW/W

RESULTS from CGC

FF #37 - 8.5 OW -1 points/no points for PQ

FF #59 - 9.2 OW/W 5 points awarded/1 point for PQ

FF #83 - 9.0 OW/W -1 points awarded, 1 point for PQ

FF #100 - 9.0 WP 4 points awarded, no points for PQ

Total score for the 4 books would be 9 points

Am I getting closer? Thoughts? Should there be a maximum number of books allowed?