• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Magnus Robot Fighter #12 cgc 9.8.........

31 posts in this topic

selling on ebay. Bid up to $225.00. Item #190191913580

Wish I still had mine. :(

Woo hoo! I just got one back from CGC on Tuesday. Time to sell!

I would say so!

I was outbid real quick on that one. I stopped at 69.00. I figure i'll wait until I can get one for the same price that I got selling mine, on ebay, not too long ago, which wasn't much.

it's one of the few Magnus covers that I actually think stand out too tho. I like the 1st four covers, but #'s 0 and 12 are the only two that I think are REALLY good... maybe some other people feel the same way and want the pretty books... maybe....

There are lots of them in CGC 9.8 (43, actually) compared to most pre-Unity Valiant books.

However... if we assume that collectors are only willing to pay to slab their 'best condition books'...

and that when it comes to Magnus #12, only books in the top 10% would be 'best books' worth slabbing,

it seems that the 24% rate for CGC 9.8 (43 out of 181 submissions) would mean that

of the top 10% of these books, only 2.4% are in CGC 9.8 condition.

If 97.6% of the print run is in "less than 9.8 condition"... then it's 40-to-1 odds

that you'll buy a copy "raw" and get a grade of CGC 9.8 on it.

At $20 each, buying 40 would cost $800. Buying one CGC 9.8 costs $250.

Almost seems like a bargain. hm:grin:

i fished one of these out of a dollar box a few months ago. i was thrilled, although it's probably more like a 9.2.

I think the last unslabbed copy I bought was about $6 for a book that arrived in around 7.0 condition. :tonofbricks:

There are lots of them in CGC 9.8 (43, actually) compared to most pre-Unity Valiant books.

However... if we assume that collectors are only willing to pay to slab their 'best condition books'...

and that when it comes to Magnus #12, only books in the top 10% would be 'best books' worth slabbing,

it seems that the 24% rate for CGC 9.8 (43 out of 181 submissions) would mean that

If 97.6% of the print run is in "less than 9.8 condition"... then it's 40-to-1 odds

I'll take the left over 39 copies for $150! :)

I'll take the left over 39 copies for $150! :)

Well, if you spend $800 to get 40, then sell one for $250...

you've got to sell the other 39 for $550 to break even.

$150 is just a little under that $550 mark. :P

Don't forget grading fees...

I may copy and paste this into my eBay listing lol

Good point... let's say pre-screening was used to get that one 9.8.

40 ungraded copies cost $800, pre-screening costs $4 x 39 = $156.

Grading costs $16 for that one book that passes the CGC 9.8 pre-screen.

Shipping to and from CGC costs probably $35 (round trip).

So, let's see... that's $1,007 in total costs... just to get one CGC 9.8.

(... which gets sold for about $250.)

39 copies leftover need to be sold for $757 to break even.

Seems like it's easier to drop $250 for the book on eBay than to play the submitting games.

(thumbs u

Good point... let's say pre-screening was used to get that one 9.8.

40 ungraded copies cost $800, pre-screening costs $4 x 39 = $156.

Grading costs $16 for that one book that passes the CGC 9.8 pre-screen.

Shipping to and from CGC costs probably $35 (round trip).

So, let's see... that's $1,007 in total costs... just to get one CGC 9.8.

(... which gets sold for about $250.)

39 copies leftover need to be sold for $757 to break even.

Seems like it's easier to drop $250 for the book on eBay than to play the submitting games.

(thumbs u

I agree with your math. Eventhough census says 43 slabs or whatever at the moment - which IMHO is ridiculously high when you look at other pre-unity keys like in SOLAR or HARB, you never know how many also of those 43 are truly available to the marketplace. I bet you more than half of these easy have been hoarded and will never see the light of day.

(worship)

According to your website, there are 50,000 copies in existence. Assuming that there is only a 2.5% chance of any one particular book is a 9.8 that still leaves you with 1207 copies out there waiting to be discovered.

So for a Magnus 12 CGC 9.8 to either increase or maintain its price you need 1) a willing buyer and 2) a willing seller. Since we just agreed that $250 is a great incentive to find and grade a 9.8, I can say that point 2 has been meet. But I have a hard time believing there are 1207 buyers out there for a Magnus 12 CGC 9.8 at $250. Heck, I have a hard time believing there are 1207 buyers for a Magnus 12 CGC 9.8 at any price above slabbing cost.

But lets cut those numbers down due to 9.8's 'never reaching the light of day' for a variety of reasons. How about 200 copies in 5 more years. Not even 1/5 of what's out there..Will the their be enough buyers to support a $250 price tag? 200 copies in 9.8 shows that a particular book in a particular grade isn't really all that rare. It simple becomes a demand market because there's plenty of supply (shrug)

Also we have to look at that 2.5% modifier. Is that based on all averages in the comic industry? Because 1990 books have the privilege to be treated with kid gloves when they first came out so I'd expect an even higher modifier.

You know I love Valiants Greg but I just wanted to play devils advocate and stir the pot a little. ;)