• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question on trading at Comic Conventions

14 posts in this topic

Wondercon is fast approaching which I plan to attend on Saturday. This year I was thinking about was whether it is worth taking dupes for potential trades. A few would be CGC'd and the rest raw. What sort of luck did other people have with this approach? Is it worth lugging some stuff up there?

It really depends on what you have to trade and what you're looking for, but I've often had good luck with trading. Just make sure the value/weight ratio is in your favor lol

Thanks for the advice. I would have mostly DCs with Batman appearances.

Wondercon is fast approaching which I plan to attend on Saturday. This year I was thinking about was whether it is worth taking dupes for potential trades. A few would be CGC'd and the rest raw. What sort of luck did other people have with this approach? Is it worth lugging some stuff up there?

:grin:

It worked out VERY well for me. I walked into WW Texas with $350 and about 25-30 comics to trade/sell. I ended up buying a HG IM #1 and flipping it for trade at the Con. I was able to use some of the books I brought as trade, and ended up selling the rest.

I went to the Con with $350, and left with FF #8 (CGC 7.0) FF #11 (CGC 7.5) and about 10-12 HG FF BA issues.

I thought I did quite well...

For me, mostly mid to lower grade Batman's, Detectives, and World's Finest. Some CGC'd, some not.

GA books like Batman & Detective dealers can move easily, so you'll probably have no problem there. Not quite sure about the demand for WF. I guess it'll depend what you're asking in trade.

Trading was how I actually got started collecting GA. A few years ago I had a 9.4 X-Men #100 and 9.2 Batman #234 at the time, along with some other BA and modern goodies, which I traded for 4-5 GA GGA material at WW Chicago. It was a great way for me to get started without breaking the bank.

I was definitely a little apprehensive about approaching dealers at first, but if you know the value of your books and what you're looking for in return, you'll come away a happy camper. Lastly, if you don't feel good about the deal don't be afraid to walk away and approach another dealer. You'll find there's a wide range of personalities and interest levels at any con. :)

I always bring a few books to a show. You never know what you will see and what trade value you will get in return. Last year at Wondercon, I did a monster deal for a Tec 31 that ended up not in my favor, but it was a good learning experience for me :D