• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT, but need some help. Planning a family trip to Disneyworld

37 posts in this topic

The last time I went (winter 2002) we stayed at the Polynesian with four children under 7. Everybody had a good time, and the hotel is on property, so just jump on the monorail. The pools are nice, there's a nice view of the park, easy on and off, and it isn't ghastly expensive. Recommended!

We`re going to split our stay between the Polynesian and the Animal Kingdom lodge this summer. I actually wanted to stay in the Contemporary Hotel for at least just a day because my childhood memory of visitng Disneyworld was the hotel where a monorail came right through the hotel building itself (and thinking that was the coolest thing I`d ever seen), but we were too poor to stay there when I was a kid. Unfortunately, I couldn`t seem to get a booking there for this summer.

Other friends have highly recommended the Grand Floridian.

We've stayed at the Polynesian and the Contemporary and both were great. I got a view of the Castle in the Kingdom (our first time, at the Polynesian) and I remember my oldest daughter staying up after we all went to sleep. That image of her sitting on her bed, wide awake at mid-nite staring at the Castle in dis-belief will forever be etched in my mind. It was a magical moment and well worth paying 2-3 times the cheaper room rate. Mind you we only stayed one day.

You'll have a blast. That place is truly a no-expense-spared out of this world experience. You can stay for days or weeks and not see everything. Get lots of rest before you go cause there is so much to take in that it tires you out. Bring hats, sun lotion, lots of water, lots of camera memory cards/film and snacks etc. as everything is brutally expensive and the wait in lines alone on a busy day can feel like forever.

If you get a chance to go to the Magic Kingdom on a nite when they have a parade / fireworks show it is worth it. The parade rocks!!!

I Have stayed at a couple places right across the street from the entrance for under $75 a night...

Yup. You can do that too and I probably would for most of my stay if i ever go again...but I don't regret spending $400+ (with a very weak Canadian $ at the time it was more like $500 CAN) for our room. It's much more convenient with my 4 kids and if you can do it even for a short time it is an unreal experience.

R.

We are taking the kids, too, for the last week of February! It'll my first time, though my wife went 4 or 5 times as a kid/teenager. Our 2 kids are beyond excited --- they are 8 and 4, so I think that they're just the right age for this. :banana:

Can't offer any advice on a hotel, though. We were able to swap our timeshare for one in Orlando that's about 2 miles from the park. Would be neat to stay in one of the monorail hotels, though . . . maybe next time.

We are taking the kids, too, for the last week of February! It'll my first time, though my wife went 4 or 5 times as a kid/teenager. Our 2 kids are beyond excited --- they are 8 and 4, so I think that they're just the right age for this. :banana:

Can't offer any advice on a hotel, though. We were able to swap our timeshare for one in Orlando that's about 2 miles from the park. Would be neat to stay in one of the monorail hotels, though . . . maybe next time.

Is it Westgate??

Monorail hotels are great, but I like the Boadwalk, too...you can get to the back of Epcot by boat, and sneak in past all lines, or go right to the shore of the Magic Kingdom. It's a little newer than the Polynesian, very elegant...and the boardwalk is cute. If you stay there and rent a car, you can just drive to valet at the Grand Floridian and take the monorail if you like. (unless that changed recently)

have fun:) We used to go every year...and I always enjoyed it:)

You really can't go wrong with most of the Disney Hotels. Even the more economical ones still have some magic. Over the years, I have been lucky to stay at about 6 of the hotels at Disney. Florida resident discounts sure do help during the slower season.

Your friends are correct in that the Grand Floridian is very nice. It is one of the best there. Also, the Swan and Dolphin are nice.

Man, you just can't go wrong. I also like what a lot of folks on here are saying about the Contemporary and the Polynesian - aw heck - tough choice -

You may have already been here, but here is a comparison link for their hotels

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/resorts/resortBenefitComparison?id=BOSOPResortCategoryComparisonPage

No, the place we have booked is called Orange Lake Resort. Never been there, but it looks pretty sweet: http://www.orangelake.com/home.html :applause:

Orange Lake is close to the action and has all amenities on site. I have stayed there each year for the past 15 years and will be there again in March for Spring Training. You will enjoy it.

The last time I went (winter 2002) we stayed at the Polynesian with four children under 7. Everybody had a good time, and the hotel is on property, so just jump on the monorail. The pools are nice, there's a nice view of the park, easy on and off, and it isn't ghastly expensive. Recommended!

My advice exactly. Polynesian is far and away the best value. The close proximity to everything important to young kids is ideal- it allows you to break up your day by going back to hotel- recharge- then hit the parks again.

Orange Lake is close to the action and has all amenities on site. I have stayed there each year for the past 15 years and will be there again in March for Spring Training. You will enjoy it.

Hi Kreton, and welcome.jpg to the boards!

It's great to hear you've been going to Orange Lake for so long, and approve of it so highly. Since this is our first time, this means loads.

So, I have a follow-up question for you --- I have already booked a rental car for the entire week, and we could use this to get to a different park each day. Would you recommend doing this (and paying for daily parking at Magic Kingdom, Epcot, etc)? Or, does Orange Lake have a shuttle that's convenient enough to skip the car altogether?

My wife and I are Disney Vacation Club members, and travel to Disney resorts (in Orlando and other locations) every summer. Honestly, it all depends on what your specific aims are. Fortunately, with the transportation available (buses, boats, etc), you can make it to any park from any resort within a reasonable amount of time.

If you are looking for the most bang for your buck- the All-Star hotels are cheapest, but I would suggest the Old Key West resort. Less expensive than the mono-rail hotels, but still wonderful rooms (and a little known fact: the OKW rooms are just slightly larger than their counterparts on other resorts, i.e. single, double, etc).

If you want a rundown of the restaurants, fun places to go, etc, send me a PM. We've been going there for years and are pretty familiar with it. :) (I also know where to find the best beer down there!)