• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hobby fun or just plain dumb?

19 posts in this topic

Okay, a question for the forumites. For my job I travel up to 3 hours in all directions from home nearly every week. As such I frequent most every comic store from Chattanooga, Knoxville, Johnson City, to Nashville. After a couple of visits to each store invariably the store owner will ask me if I want to have him start a keeper file for me.

My response is "no thanks" that would take the fun out of collecting by making the new books to easy to get. For me the hunt is part of the fun of collecting. It makes the find so much more personal once you find the book your looking for. using this method it took me 4 weeks to get a copy of FF 500(still cover price) and also forced me to settle for a Batman 608 2nd print(the horror).

Of course the stores usually offer a discount on books if your willing to create a file with them in order to help lock you up as a return customer. So, what do you folks think....Am I throwing money down the drain or do you share my thrill of the hunt?

Am I throwing money down the drain or do you share my thrill of the hunt?

Oh I definitely LOVE the hunt. It is equal to the acquisition at least. But for New Books? Honestly, I don't see any real "hunting" happening - it sounds like, by refusing a keeper file from the stores, you are kind of making a self-fulfilling prophecy" kind of thing - that is, givinh yourself enough time to NOT find a book that it may be off the shelf and require some searching. For me, the hunt is looking for a particualt 50 year old book in at least a minimum condition. Now THAT is a hunt! lol

PS - question for you - I once did biz with ChooChoo Comics in Chatanooga. Seems they are no longer around but I got my Adventures Into the Unknown #1 from them, amoung many other cool precode horrors. Are you familiar with them?

For moderns, get an account. They are not worth a 3 hour drive IMO tongue.gif

gotta make the drive anyway(need to feed momma and the kids), not just for the books(forget momma, get more books). The travel does give the a chance to see a larger variety of books for sale.

I don't see any real "hunting" happening - it sounds like, by refusing a keeper file from the stores, you are kind of making a self-fulfilling prophecy" kind of thing - that is, givinh yourself enough time to NOT find a book that it may be off the shelf and require some searching.

Doesn't sound much different than counting to 100 before looking for somebody in a game of hide and seek. It also reminds me a bit of how I somewhat artificially make my collecting harder by going after high grade. I could be satisfied with Fine copies of my Marvels, but going after 9.6s is a LOT more challenging!!!

PS - question for you - I once did biz with ChooChoo Comics in Chatanooga. Seems they are no longer around but I got my Adventures Into the Unknown #1 from them, amoung many other cool precode horrors. Are you familiar with them?

sounds familiar but can't say for sure. Where were they generally located in Chatt.

PS - I'm working on them 50 year books. I now have a grand total of 4 G.A. books(1 war, 2 horror, and 1 superhero).

Well, would a 9.6 satisfy you in the same way? (sorry - do not wish to get tooooo personal here! 27_laughing.gifcrazy.gifgrin.gif)

I sense some kind of double entendre here, but not being totally certain that was your intent, I'm going to respond straight up...9.6s satisfy me in a different way. I look at comics as providing two primary functions to a collector--as an item to read and an item to display. A 9.6 is the ultimate display item, but it doesn't fill the reading function very well on expensive books because you hate to read them for fear of ruining their extreme display value. On the other hand, Fine or lower books are easy to read because you're not afraid of causing any defects that aren't worse than what's already there, unless you're reading them while eating ice cream or something.

So one satisfies reading, the other display. They're both satisfying in different ways.

I sense some kind of double entendre here

You really can take the fun out of something!!!!! foreheadslap.gif893frustrated.gifcrazy.gifblush.gifgrin.gif

PS - I do agree with your assessment. With my horror books I have some in NM and some in VG. Both impact me differently but both impact me positively.

Okay, a question for the forumites. For my job I travel up to 3 hours in all directions from home nearly every week. As such I frequent most every comic store from Chattanooga, Knoxville, Johnson City, to Nashville. After a couple of visits to each store invariably the store owner will ask me if I want to have him start a keeper file for me.

My response is "no thanks" that would take the fun out of collecting by making the new books to easy to get. For me the hunt is part of the fun of collecting. It makes the find so much more personal once you find the book your looking for. using this method it took me 4 weeks to get a copy of FF 500(still cover price) and also forced me to settle for a Batman 608 2nd print(the horror).

Of course the stores usually offer a discount on books if your willing to create a file with them in order to help lock you up as a return customer. So, what do you folks think....Am I throwing money down the drain or do you share my thrill of the hunt?

I think hunting for moderns is kinda like going to the grocery store to hunt for a chicken.

You really can take the fun out of something!!!!! foreheadslap.gif893frustrated.gifcrazy.gifblush.gifgrin.gif

Couldn't figure out what the double entendre might have been!! The first image that flew through my mind when I saw the word "satisfy" was that I screw my comic books or something shocked.gif, but that was too bizarre to be what you meant. confused.gifinsane.gif

Couldn't figure out what the double entendre might have been!! The first image that flew through my mind when I saw the word "satisfy" was that I screw my comic books or something shocked.gif, but that was too bizarre to be what you meant. confused.gifinsane.gif

Well you are kind of in the general area but it was more a peripheral looming of a concept than anything as direct as what you suggest. Sheesh. Next time I get a looming peripheral I should probably just smile and go on to the next post! frown.gif

Well you are kind of in the general area but it was more a peripheral looming of a concept than anything as direct as what you suggest. Sheesh. Next time I get a looming peripheral I should probably just smile and go on to the next post! frown.gif

My second thought was that you might have been suggesting a 9.6 woman instead of a comic since they're both graded on a scale from 1 to 10, but since I really don't see people using something as specific as .6 for a woman, I ruled that one out too.

You're too enigmatic for me!!! thumbsup2.gif

My second thought was that you might have been suggesting a 9.6 woman instead of a comic since they're both graded on a scale from 1 to 10, but since I really don't see people using something as specific as .6 for a woman, I ruled that one out too.

I thank you for the thumbsup2.gif but my psyche is deeply troubled beyond the healing power of an emoticon. I know, in time, I shall recover but for the moment - well - I shall seek out some TPBs of Casper and seek the lighter side of horror to assuage my guilt. crazy.gif

[quoteMy second thought was that you might have been suggesting a 9.6 woman instead of a comic since they're both graded on a scale from 1 to 10, but since I really don't see people using something as specific as .6 for a woman, I ruled that one out too.

try rating that special women in your life with any kind of scale other than Mint 10 will only get you a goose egg in return.

Only greggy in "Crisis" seems to survive the human ranking system.

So, what do you folks think....Am I throwing money down the drain or do you share my thrill of the hunt?

I've got a better way for you to spend your time than making it difficult for yourself to obtain books that should be easy to find. First, gather up every book you have in your collection and load it into your car (or truck, depending on how many books you have). Then, you must drive your collection at least 3 states away from where they are currently being stored. Once you arrive, you then build a stone temple in the shape of a pyramid. This temple must have a base that is exactly 9 square feet, and it must be precisely 9 feet tall at the point. You must then park your vehicle precisely 3 miles away from this temple and then make your way back to it while crawling on your hands and knees. Then, climb to the top of the temple, punch yourself in the nuts, and scream as loudly as you can, "I'm a person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point for playing this game"! Once you have accomplished this feat, walk back to your vehicle, drive back home, and put your comic collection back where it belongs. tongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

But seriously, the "thrill of the hunt" is one thing, but making it artificially difficult for yourself to find something that should be easy to obtain is just masochistic. tonofbricks.gif

235570-PyramidContest.jpg

Gene

. Then, climb to the top of the temple, punch yourself in the nuts, and scream as loudly as you can, "I'm a person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point for playing this game"!

But seriously, the "thrill of the hunt" is one thing, but making it artificially difficult for yourself to find something that should be easy to obtain is just masochistic. tonofbricks.gif

Oh no, I've been doing this stuff wrong? Hit the nuts after you climb the temple, not before, No wonder I never was getting to the top!!

Yeah, I know I'm making things harder on myself...just checking with others to see if it makes me certifiably insane or just poorer.

So, what do you folks think....Am I throwing money down the drain or do you share my thrill of the hunt?

I've got a better way for you to spend your time than making it difficult for yourself to obtain books that should be easy to find. First, gather up every book you have in your collection and load it into your car (or truck, depending on how many books you have). Then, you must drive your collection at least 3 states away from where they are currently being stored. Once you arrive, you then build a stone temple in the shape of a pyramid. This temple must have a base that is exactly 9 square feet, and it must be precisely 9 feet tall at the point. You must then park your vehicle precisely 3 miles away from this temple and then make your way back to it while crawling on your hands and knees. Then, climb to the top of the temple, punch yourself in the nuts, and scream as loudly as you can, "I'm a person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point for playing this game"! Once you have accomplished this feat, walk back to your vehicle, drive back home, and put your comic collection back where it belongs. tongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Gene

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Hilarious! A nice tribute to the Bug (28 days Bug?) who is by far the funniest person on these forums!

DAM