• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A New Collecting Project...

22 posts in this topic

I remember collecting a bunch of the Marvel collectible trading cards when I was a kid--some of which had some pretty nice art work. Perhaps I'm getting a case of collector's ADD (since I've been getting swamped with lots of ideas to add to my collection), but I've thought about picking up a set of cards and getting them signed by the artists.

1. Anyone else do anything along these lines? I can't imagine I'd be the first lol

2. Thoughts, ideas, or recommendations for sets to start with?

I just thought this would make another nice, long-term project.

I've thought about the same thing. I have a couple sets of Marvel Masterpieces. If the opportunity did present itself to get the card signed, and I remember that I have that card, I would totally do it.

I have been doing this for some time. It is fun but sometimes hard. Many of the sets were made by high demand guys. Todd Mcfarlane had a spiderman set, and a spawn set. Quesada contributed to some sets. Jim Lee. Greg Hildebrandt.

Now with that being said I have gotten some sets signed. The kubert x-men set, some cards from dave dorman, seinkiwicz, Joe Jusko, ect. Jim Lee even signed some for me aswell as quesada. My Mcfarlane set will probably never get signed that is 90 cards.

There's an older guy who frequents alot of the southern shows. He carries around a huge cooler filled with card upon card that he gets signed for him and his grandchildren. Nice guy and he has quite the collection.

There's an older guy who frequents alot of the southern shows. He carries around a huge cooler filled with card upon card that he gets signed for him and his grandchildren. Nice guy and he has quite the collection.

I think I met that guy. It's not "thecollector" from the boards, but rather he actually goes by "The Collector", am I right? I met him the other year, while waiting in line for Jim Lee, and he told me that his thing is getting trading card sets signed by all the artists that worked on them, and that he's known throughout the convention circuit as "The Collector". He mentioned to me that he has many complete signed card sets.

I think I met that guy. It's not "thecollector" from the boards, but rather he actually goes by "The Collector", am I right? I met him the other year, while waiting in line for Jim Lee, and he told me that his thing is getting trading card sets signed by all the artists that worked on them, and that he's known throughout the convention circuit as "The Collector". He mentioned to me that he has many complete signed card sets.

I am actually friends with this guy. he has shown me alot of his collection he has some impressive autographs

I've seen that guy too, but it was at the Paradise Toronto Comicon show, prior to the Fan Expo that Jim Lee was at. He explained what he does, to Ken Lashley (oh, where has he gone again).

I am actually friends with this guy. he has shown me alot of his collection he has some impressive autographs

I bet he does have some impressive stuff. From the few stories he told me and my friends while waiting in line, I know he must have an insane collection of cards and autographs among other things.

I think he's friends with everyone, never stops talking

Something to think about...

If 'The Collector' and 'thecollector' were to meet up at a convention, would it be like Earth-1 Superman and Earth-2 Superman coming face to face for the first time? hm

I'm thinking I might give the 2007 Marvel Masterpiece set a try. Good looking cards and a pretty good variety of artists. Not quite as many heavy hitters in there, but still a few nice ones to pursue. SS Witnesses, I might be PMing you in the near future when these arrive :grin: