• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To mylar or not to mylar...

111 posts in this topic

I have been out of the comic bagging world for many years now.

Would it be too much to ask for someone to post pics of the different styles here in this thread?

I honestly have no idea the difference in a mylar and a mylite or how in the heck one could slice open a comic.

Thanks.

It's all mylar. I don't know when people started referring to Archives as Mylars. I had a customer the other day who referred to it as that.

You mean you put a Mylite2 into an Archive right?

Open top mylars absolutely suck. I don't understand why anyone uses them, the potential for damage is just too great. They stink for mailing too.

Somewhere, a vein in FFB's forehead is pulsing, and he's not sure why.

I love Archives. Although Andy is right, they do suuuuuck for shipping. But that is why i keep old bags and boards so I dont have to ship in them anymore.

Archives and a fullback +2 pieces of Microchamber paper=:cloud9:

I use the Mylites2/Fullback setup. I, too, am concerned about the sharp, rigid edge of a mylar slicing into a book.

In most cases, the Mylite2/Fullback is enough for me. With higher end books, I supplement with a mylar as well to protect against cover dents and drop damage.

I use the identical setup on my GA. On SA I just go with Mylites and a fullback.

It's all mylar. I don't know when people started referring to Archives as Mylars. I had a customer the other day who referred to it as that.

You mean you put a Mylite2 into an Archive right?

Yup. :grin:

i use mylars(archives) only with no backing boards. I like the way it looks better and it also eliminates the danger and difficulty of removing and/or putting them in the mylar. It is so much easier to place a book in a mylar if there is no backing board! My books are stored upright in a shelf. They have been stored this way for the last 5 years with no problems at all. I suppose if i were to transport them i might want to use fullbacks for extra protection.

Why is it a bad idea? Its just like a normal comic flap. They aren't the ones that are prescored and will slice your book.

Its just like a mylite2 but thicker, and yes m2's are in stock.

It's not like a m2 flap because it's "firmer" which means that the flap will invariably interact with the book (so to speak) while inserting/removing the book. It's just a general bad feeling. M2 flaps are too flimsy and thin to be a concern.

My opinion...of course.

Why is it a bad idea? Its just like a normal comic flap. They aren't the ones that are prescored and will slice your book.

Its just like a mylite2 but thicker, and yes m2's are in stock.

It's not like a m2 flap because it's "firmer" which means that the flap will invariably interact with the book (so to speak) while inserting/removing the book. It's just a general bad feeling. M2 flaps are too flimsy and thin to be a concern.

My opinion...of course.

I agree..the m4 flap is not as malleable therefore making it very easy for the mylar to catch on small tears on the cover and spine... 2c

Would it be too much to ask for someone to post pics of the different styles here in this thread?

I honestly have no idea the difference in a mylar and a mylite or how in the heck one could slice open a comic.

Thanks.

Here you go ...

Mylite

cgc_mylites1.jpg

Mylite2

cgc_mylites2.jpg

Archive

cgc_archives.jpg

Mylite2 + Archive combo

cgc_archives_mylites2.jpg

Just the bags

cgc_all.jpg

Thanks.

Here you go ...

Mylite

cgc_mylites1.jpg

Mylite2

cgc_mylites2.jpg

Archive

cgc_archives.jpg

Mylite2 + Archive combo

cgc_archives_mylites2.jpg

Just the bags

cgc_all.jpg