• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To mylar or not to mylar...

111 posts in this topic

Welcome to the boards (thumbs u

All of the Mylars come in sizes ranging from Modern through Golden Age as do the backing boards.

HotFlips and Comic Supply are two board members that sell these items, good luck and welcome back to collecting!

Welcome to the boards (thumbs u

All of the Mylars come in sizes ranging from Modern through Golden Age as do the backing boards.

HotFlips and Comic Supply are two board members that sell these items, good luck and welcome back to collecting!

Thanks for such a quick reply karma. Before I order any in bulk, do you all know which sizes are being used in the above photos specifically? I'm using them for mostly moderns, and I don't want so much room around the comic--thus taking up so much room to store. But then again I don't want such a tight squeeze that the board/comic begin to warp/bow or the corners start getting pinched.

Thanks again!

No sorry, I'm not sure which exact sizes are shown in the example above but with a little luck, the original poster of those pics will see this thread and help clarify that for you.

Hi and welcome to the boards!! I will be glad to help you if you have any questions. If you tell me the size of the comics you need mylite2's for i can point you in the right direction. There are 2 sizes for moderns: 700M2's (Current) and 725M2's which are standard size. Both come with a flap.

The 700M2's are 7 x 10 1/2.

The 725M2's are 7 1/4 x 10 1/2.

The full-back are coated on both sides and are a 42 point stock.

The half-backs are coated on one side with a 24 point stock (same as any backing board).

Any guestions, just holla!!

Jeff

Thank you both...

Hotflips, I have what I suppose would be considered moderns (currently being printed). Comics are 6 1/2" wide.

I don't want a lot of room around the comic, but I also don't want it so tight that it bows the mylar and squishes the comic. I also don't want the board so small that the comic might get a rolled spine or anything...especially if it's a comic with slightly more thickness (more pages) than an average issue. I was thinking "standards" (752M2's) would be more of what I was needing once a half-back & comic are inserted into the mylite2. The current seems more like the right size, but I wonder if it "shrinks" in size when a board/comic are inserted and expand the mylite2.

Is there a way to see pics of a modern comic in each size of mylite2 (current, standard, and maybe even silver) with a half-back as comparison if we're not sure from which is which from the previous posts?

I want to then take the mylite2's w/ comic & board and place them in a nice, thick top loader for display and extra protection. Oakman29 has a nice example in one of his posts that shows his collection displayed.

So, I suppose in addition to the above question, I also would like to know if the half-backs offer any less archival protection over time than the full backs since only one side is coated. I don't need a full back for it's thickness since the top loader will take care of that, but will having only one side coated make it less effective or last only half as long effectively as a full back?

Most of the people use full-backs for the most protection. That being said, i have never heard any complaints about a half-back either. As far as using a topload for the extra protection it will make the comic more sturdy.

However, keep in mind that a toploader is made from PVC and is NOT archival no matter what most manufacturers say. I manufacture the toploads but tell people that if they are keeping books in them for long term that they are not archival safe. All you need is a mylar (or mylite2) with a full-back and you should be safe. Toploads are great for displaying them at a convention with the intent to sell because they make for a great presentation. They are also good to ship comics as well.

I do not have any pictures of the comics inside the mylars but im sure there are board members here who can tell you the correct size you are looking for.

I think the 725M2's (7 1/4 x 10 1/2)are the way to go. Hope this helps,

By the way, there are current comics (which are being printed now) and modern comics (which are like 80-90's stuff).

Jeff

Hmmm...well, I definitely don't want to effectively cancel all the care I give the comics with unsafe archival methods. Not to beat a dead horse--you've answered my questions well (thanks for that!)--but won't a mylar effectively negate any chemical from the top loader?

I'll probably play it safe by storing a majority of my comics with mylite2's and full-backs, but there are a few issues I'd like to display (no sunlight, no flourescents) in the top loaders. I do think they look nice in them. Won't the mylar encasing the comic inside the top loader stop any degregation that may come from the top loader?

I was under the impression that, even though mylite2's aren't air tight or dent proof, they'll protect the comic inside from harmful chemicals outside. Are we saying the top loader pvc would emit gases that would enter the mylar and harm the comic? I can't see any other way the toploader would cause damage in any other form...Then again, you are the manufacturer. I'm sure you know best on this.

Also, If nobody has any pics, I think I will play it safe and go with the 725M2's you suggested, along with full-backs. I could try and go to the LCS to confirm this size, but with a newborn it's hard to get anywhere outside of work. That's also why "play money" is budgeted tight, and I don't want to spend on a mylar size that might be wrong. Your help thus far is greatly appreciated.

And thanks for the edumucation on current and modern comics. So much to learn, so much to read;)

I always edumacate myself on these boards. There are a lot of knowledgable people here.

Look, ill be honest, im not a chemist. Id o not learn the long-term effects of putting something that is archival against something that isnt what the outcome would be. I just know that serious collectors who look for the best possible archival solution use mylars without toploaders for the fear that something "may" happen to them.

That all said, when you know what you are going to need, shoot me a PM and ill hook you up as i do with all the board members here.

Jeff

Also, If nobody has any pics, I think I will play it safe and go with the 725M2's you suggested, along with full-backs. I could try and go to the LCS to confirm this size, but with a newborn it's hard to get anywhere outside of work. That's also why "play money" is budgeted tight, and I don't want to spend on a mylar size that might be wrong. Your help thus far is greatly appreciated.

E. Gerber sells "sample" packages of all of the mylars and boards that have been discussed. I got one from them a few years ago for around $7.00.

www.egerber.com

1-800-79-Mylar

Nice thread! I just ordered my first ever mylar supplies today from ComicSupply. I got GA Myl2 and halfbacks and ordered a set of larger sized archives and fullbacks. I am planning on putting the books in the myl2 and halfback then putting all of that in an archive with a fullback. These are for GA pedigrees that are coming out of slabs(so i can read em!). Peds include: edgar church, rockfords, lost valleys and D copies!