• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what's the authoritative word on seller paypal protection with int'l shipping?

35 posts in this topic

Are we still in a situation where many buyers abraod don't have confirmed addresses, so we're S.O.L.?

What exactly do I need in terms of tracking/confirmation?

What's the cheapest method?

Do UPS or FedEx have competetive ($-wise) methods (maybe slow ones?) or are they mainly a customs nightmare waiting to happen?

Third party services that aren't going to play games in terms of receipt?

mainly, let's say I sell $100 in comics to someone in france or germany or the u.k. or wherever, what's the cheapest way for me to send them and get delivery confirmation and protection from a chargeback?

mainly, let's say I sell $100 in comics to someone in france or germany or the u.k. or wherever, what's the cheapest way for me to send them and get delivery confirmation and protection from a chargeback?

To the best of my knowledge, the only way to ship via USPS and get a "trackable online confirmation" as required by Paypal is Express Delivery... which costs a fortune.

Unless it's a pricey item worth paying $25+ for shipping, it's a roll of the dice when shipping overseas.

To the best of my knowledge, the only way to ship via USPS and get a "trackable online confirmation" as required by Paypal is Express Delivery... which costs a fortune.

Unless it's a pricey item worth paying $25+ for shipping, it's a roll of the dice when shipping overseas.

And you still wouldn't get chargeback protection unless this method was used to send to a confirmed address....which 90% of the Europeans don't get from paypal

Would everyone recommend "No Paypal for International Bidders. International money orders only." ???

hm this sounds like a very good idea, to avoid the whole mess. I would prefer to do this, than to ban international bidders altogether.

hm

until I can send an international money order from my laptop, this will reduce my :takeit:s by a lot.

I'm lazy. :sorry:

I like my Paypal... but as long as it's an open invitation to all kinds of crooks I also understand you guys.

International Money Orders are a pain and expensive, especially on large amounts. I used to buy items with IMOs, but these days if a seller who doesn't take Paypal has a book that I'm not intensely interested in, I'll pass. It's too much hassle.

I do have a PP confirmed address, FWIW.

Would everyone recommend "No Paypal for International Bidders. International money orders only." ???

only if you never want to sell to an international bidder again

paypal is the only realistic option for overseas buyers unfortunately

My two cents, for what they're worth... :)

I think you'll find that you end up limiting your field of potential buyers by doing that, especially on lower priced lots.

In my experience, sending an IMO with tracking from Canada to the US costs $12 plus any banking fees. Not to mention the time involved in making the trip to the bank and post office. I only go to that amount of trouble for books worth more than $250 that I absolutely must have... Otherwise I just bide my time for someone who takes PayPal.

only if you never want to sell to an international bidder again

paypal is the only realistic option for overseas buyers unfortunately

So, the non-U.S. bidders who can't be bothered to pay with anything other than Paypal, I suppose you don't mind paying an extra $30 for FedEx shipping so the seller has some assurance he won't get totally boned with a chargeback?

:baiting:

As far as I know, US buyers will only have confirmed addresses for US sellers, so if you're selling internationally, I don't think Paypal offers any international "protection" no matter what shipping method you use.

There are a few countries outside the US that will have "confirmed addresses." If you send to these with a trackable delivery method, paypal Seller protection is in effect.

The problem is that international "trackable delivery" methods start around $25 - $30. USPS Express, FedEx, DHL and UPS.

Damn that Paypal! They costed me $120 two months ago when an Italian buyer of mine opened and won a chargeback claim! I was fuming and sent Paypal an email to get clarification on what I would need to do to avoid this in the future.

They have still to respond to me with a legitimate answer on how to protect yourself from these situations.

I spoke to a friend of a friend who works at Paypal and he gave me a similar canned response, except he added that you should use the "Print Shipping Label" option and pay for your shipping online through their website. He said this produces a tracking number that should cover you from these types of claims.