• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what's the authoritative word on seller paypal protection with int'l shipping?

35 posts in this topic

I spoke to a friend of a friend who works at Paypal and he gave me a similar canned response, except he added that you should use the "Print Shipping Label" option and pay for your shipping online through their website. He said this produces a tracking number that should cover you from these types of claims.

Your friend is certainly mistaken.

For Paypal Seller protection, there must be a trackable proof of delivery.

Simply printing a Global Priority Mail label through Paypal only proves you printed a label... not that it was delivered anywhere.

Only Express mail, FedEX, DHL and UPS provide online, trackable proof of delivery.

Believe me, I know that when it comes time to file a claim for Seller protection, Paypal goes by the letter of their law. No loopholes, no exceptions.

Doesn't a chargeback only work with Paypal credit card payments?

If so, is there a way to insist on Paypal bank transfer or whatever it is called?

Just trying to find a way that's acceptable to both sides :wishluck:

No. If a buyer claims that there was "unauthorized use" of their account, Paypal will "chargeback" your account, no matter what the original payment method was. If you maintain a balance in your account, they WILL seize it... and if that doesn't cover the amount of the chargeback, they will tell you that you owe them the remainder.

Believe me, I know. :cry:

If so, is there a way to insist on Paypal bank transfer or whatever it is called?

No. If a buyer claims that there was "unauthorized use" of their account, Paypal will "chargeback" your account, no matter what the original payment method was. If you maintain a balance in your account, they WILL seize it... and if that doesn't cover the amount of the chargeback, they will tell you that you owe them the remainder.

That's sad...

So basically, as a seller, cash in an envelope would be the new option #1, right? hm

Would everyone recommend "No Paypal for International Bidders. International money orders only." ???

only if you never want to sell to an international bidder again

paypal is the only realistic option for overseas buyers unfortunately

So, the non-U.S. bidders who can't be bothered to pay with anything other than Paypal, I suppose you don't mind paying an extra $30 for FedEx shipping so the seller has some assurance he won't get totally boned with a chargeback?

:baiting:

Don't use FedEx.

I read in another thread they won't pay out insurance on any collectible more than $100.

:eek:

That's sad...

So basically, as a seller, cash in an envelope would be the new option #1, right? hm

It's been done.

I had a board member from France many years ago send me over $400 in cash for some FFs.

If you got a low grade FF #2 for sale, I got $400 and an envelope right in front of me... :baiting:

Sold one a month ago...would have been able to send it to you for $5.00 insured and all, and delivered within 3 days :(

Would everyone recommend "No Paypal for International Bidders. International money orders only." ???

So, the non-U.S. bidders who can't be bothered to pay with anything other than Paypal, I suppose you don't mind paying an extra $30 for FedEx shipping so the seller has some assurance he won't get totally boned with a chargeback?

Don't use FedEx.

I read in another thread they won't pay out insurance on any collectible more than $100.

:eek:

If you use FedEx, you have to buy insurance through another third party. It costs about $15-20 for every $1000 insured.

ok, this is from Paypal. In the past, they only used to cover US-US and Canada-Canada and Uk-UK sales only but I guess they have expanded it, although i would need clarification, but they have added a little dousy they didn't used to have (middle of first paragraph) which basically means you're screwed anyways.

A Chargeback is covered if it was due to non-receipt of merchandise, or an unauthorized payment. A Reversal is covered if it was due to an unauthorized payment. The Seller Protection Policy does not cover Claims for Significantly Not as Described or for non-receipt of merchandise, or sales of intangible goods, services, or licenses for digital content. PayPal Claims are not covered by the Seller Protection Policy. For more information on winning a PayPal Claim see the Buyer Protection Programs section of this agreement.

11.3 Qualification Requirements. In order to qualify for coverage under the Seller Protection Policy, you must meet the following requirements:

1. You must have a Verified Business or Verified Premier Account at the time of the transaction,

2. The transaction must be between a US, UK or Canadian buyer and a US, UK or Canadian seller,

3. The payment must be listed as Seller Protection Policy Eligible on the Transaction Details page, or cleared by PayPal through Payment Review,

4. You must accept a single payment from one PayPal Account for the purchase,

5. You must not charge a surcharge for accepting PayPal,

6. You must ship the purchased item to the address listed on the Transaction Details page,

7. You must ship the item to the buyer within 7 Days of receiving payment,

8. You must have trackable online proof of delivery from an approved shipper to the address on the Transaction Details page. For transactions involving $250.00 USD or more, you must provide a proof of receipt that was signed or otherwise acknowledged by the buyer and can be viewed online, (If you paid in a currency other than US dollars, the following amounts apply for this section: $325.00 CAD, €200.00 EUR, £150.00 GBP, ¥28000.00 JPY, $350.00 AUD, 330.00 CHF, 1,600.00 NOK, 2,000.00 SEK, 1,500.00 DKK, 800.00 PLN, 55000.00 HUF, 6,000.00 CZK, $400.00 SGD, $2,000.00 HKD, $380.00 NZD), and

9. You must respond to PayPals requests for information within the time period PayPal specifies.

Additional qualification requirement for unauthorized payments:

a. The address on the "Transaction Details" page that you ship to must be a Confirmed Address. This requirement does not apply to Chargebacks due to non-receipt of merchandise.

Please note that in order to qualify for our Seller Protection Policy you must ship the item as required in this section. If you hand deliver an item, or provide delivery in any manner other than required in this section, your transaction will not qualify for the Seller Protection Policy.

No confirmed address here. Paypal will not confirm ANY German addresses.

That's what we get for starting two World Wars... :boo:

Funny stuff Rudi lol

Jerries!!!

it's not a case of not being bothered, in my case I use online banking only. I have no idea how I would even go about getting an international money order

it's not a case of not being bothered, in my case I use online banking only. I have no idea how I would even go about getting an international money order

Brick & mortar bank? (shrug)

I've never seen an IMO.

Simply said, all you can really do is INSURE the parcel and when they chargeback for lack of receipt, file the insurance claim. I guess thats what I am going to have to do from now on. Seems like post offices can pay certain amounts from within the office. I got burned on USPS insurance the first time I ever filed for it and never used it since.

About the only thing going though unless you say "NO INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING"

Underdog could chime in here with the appropriate responses.