• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How accurate is Showcase NE grading ?

51 posts in this topic

Yep, but many of Saturday's auctions from SNE are in the alleged VF range.

So, there's a risk of overgrading here, from what you're telling me.

Thanks for your answers, BTW. gossip.gif

Not a risk of overgrading - a certainty.

Trust me...they will be overgraded and Dan from SNE is the biggest assface on the planet.

I would only buy from them if you are getting an incredible deal

893frustrated.gif

Sniped out on a few lots in the last seconds... crazy.gif

Oh well, I hope the winners where aware they were overgraded by 1.0 to 2.0.

If that ASM 136 was actually a CGC 9.4, it would be in a slab faster than you could spit.

Not necessarily, this guy sometimes has comics pouring out of his eyes, and he very infrequently sells Bronze books that are slabbed. I assume he only sends in the Silvers since forecasting 9.4 or better is tough when you're dealing in that many books; I talked to him about 2 months ago related to the Winnipeg, Twilight, and Diamond Run pedigrees and he said he had bought 6 full Marvel runs in 2003 that would be taking him months to grade and list. His volume is a few million bucks worth of inventory a year, and he often gets over guide on the books he lists as being 9.4 or better, so like most high-end dealers, I'm sure he frequently sells raw on books under $100 rather than risk getting back an 8.5 to 9.0. This is evident in his listing style...he lists high grade early Silver individually when they're 9.0 or better, but on late Silver and Bronze, he usually lists them as a lot and puts an "average" grade on it.

I've bought about a dozen books from Dan...about half were overgraded by 1 to 2 notches and half were right on. One had fairly easy to find undisclosed restoration...that one convinced me not to buy high grade early Silver from him if it wasn't slabbed.

I bid on a few of his auctions yesterday, and someone who sniped me sent me e-mail telling me he had sent 35 books that he bought from Dan in to CGC and got back all 9.4 to 9.8 grades on them. Dan gets some great books, but he doesn't identify which ones are great consistently enough.

I bid on a few of his auctions yesterday, and someone who sniped me sent me e-mail telling me he had sent 35 books that he bought from Dan in to CGC and got back all 9.4 to 9.8 grades on them.

I highly doubt there were any key issues in there, or even a semi-key like ASM 136. I'm not referring to buying a lot of Daredevil 147-157 in "NM or higher", but the fact that I do not trust them to actually list even a moderate key NM or higher at the right grade, especially if it's in a large lot.

I mean, the guy was selling ASM 121-122 in CGC 4.5 to 8.0, so why wouldn't he include a CGC 9.4 or higher ASM 136 (if it was CGC 9.4) in the submission? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I mean, the guy was selling ASM 121-122 in CGC 4.5 to 8.0, so why wouldn't he include a CGC 9.4 or higher ASM 136 (if it was CGC 9.4) in the submission? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I doubt he thought the 4.5 was a 9.2 or better, I've seen no evidence his grading is THAT bad. I would assume he bought them already slabbed since he specializes in buying entire collections, but who knows.

I doubt he thought the 4.5 was a 9.2 or better, I've seen no evidence his grading is THAT bad.

Of course not, but it seems that if Showcase can make additional cash through slabbing the book, then they seem to go that route.

JC - the best way to prevent yourself from getting one is to announce you want one!

Who said I wanted one? I'm just highlighting yet another part of the obvious board favoritism to the Yes-Man.

If I wanted one, all it would take is a bunch of "CGC is the greatest, speculators are buying in at the bottom floor" posts, and if I got one now, it would likely be derogatory, so I'm happy with whatever appears at the present time.