• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ultimate Line in 2004

15 posts in this topic

Got this off of CBR:

It is expected that the Epic line will publish all announced titles, with a big splurge in February, but after that projects that have been greenlit, but not announced, may well be cancelled. I hear that already Epic editors Stephanie Moore and Cory Sedlmeier are working on non-Epic projects. The Ultimate line, making up some of Marvel's best selling titles, will continue along a similar model.

If this is true, and that is a big if, then I think the Ultimate line of books has a good future. One of the coolest aspects of the Ultimate Uniiverse is the tightly woven interaction of the characters across the titles. It will be really impressive if Marvel learns it's lesson from the 90's and does not flog this successful horse to death by flooding the market with other Ultimate titles. The introduction of Ultimate FF bodes well I think and is a logical inclusion. Especially with both Bendis and Millar collaborating on the story lines. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but Millar coplots with Bendis and Bendis writes the scripts for UFF?

I must admit, now that USM and UXM have been out for several years and seen the introduction of the major villains and characters, I am very curious how Marvel would maintain it's audience. With any luck, they will rely on the solid work of Bendis and Millar and the cadre of excellent artists who have so far contributed to these titles.

Russ

One of the coolest aspects of the Ultimate Uniiverse is the tightly woven interaction of the characters across the titles.

Definately! As you said, the key to this is that the Ultimate line has been writtten by only 2 people, Bendis & Millar. I think that we can expect the same quality when UFF comes out (I think you're right about the creative duties on the title). With many of the characters already created, the FF should have their fair share of bad guys to deal w/ right away, as well as some new ones (can't wait for Ultimate Doom!).

BTW - does anyone know the date for the last issue of Ultimates? Thx!

Chris

I just got an email from X-World for December pre-orders and they credit Millar and Bendis as the writers for UFF1. Should be a treat!

I must admit, I am not a huge FF fan but I am excited about the Ultimate take these two will give it. I am really curious how strong a role Doom will play in the title. He is a villain who could really tear things up in the world. An Ultimates vs Doom showdown would be truly awesome! With the FF right in the middle of course!

Russ

Millar and Bendis as the writers for UFF1. Should be a treat!

I just can't get excited about the prospects of a teenaged Fantastic Four...have you read the previews? Reed Richards as a high-schooler? Count me out...

Gene

Millar and Bendis as the writers for UFF1. Should be a treat!

I just can't get excited about the prospects of a teenaged Fantastic Four...have you read the previews? Reed Richards as a high-schooler? Count me out...

Gene

What!?!?! I had no idea. FF as high schoolers doesn't really sound good. frown.gif I'll give it a go, though, as everything Bendis does seems to be golden. Teenagers!!! WTF! mad.gif

Chris

Try to read a book before condemning it...

I think until now Marvel as been presenting some serious direction on the U. marvel universe. Maitaining a small number of books, looking for the best writers/artists to develop them, promote the interaction and the introduction of new ideas,...overral the grade is a high one. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Now with the U. FF maybe we'll have some more expansion of the U. universe, either they are teenagers or not, just let us wait, read the book and after it have our sayings. Afterall, some of us aren't teenagers anymore... wink.gif

Regards, Pedro.

Here's the preview for Ultimate FF #1 from "Marvel Previews":

ULTIMATE FANTASTIC FOUR #1

Written by BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS & MARK MILLAR

Penciled by ADAM KUBERT

Cover by BRYAN HITCH

The Ultimate Universe at long last gets the fourth corner of its foundation as the World's Greatest Comic Magazine finally [sic] last makes its long-awaited Ultimate debut! Witness the birth of The Four - Reed Richards, Johnny Storm, Susan Storm & Ben Grimm - superhero icons for the new century!

High school genius Reed Richards invites his friends to join him on the journey of a lifetime - and the Ultimate Universe will never be the same! It's a series about science, high adventure and above all else FAMILY, set in the most dynamic and unpredictable Universe in the comic book world!

32 PGS./ALL AGES...$2.25

UPC: 5960605499-00111

The preview also shows a teen-aged Ben Grimm beating up some bullies who just gave another kid (Johnny? Reed?) a "swirly" in the high school bathroom toilet.

No, I am not making this up. It's obvious to me that Marvel is trying to make Ultimate FF the "Smallville" TV series of comic books.

Gene

I had heard that they were going to be teenagers and I'm okay with that. The Ultimate books are targeted at a younger group of readers so I wasn't really surprised by the decision to make them teens. Now whether or not younger people are reading it, I don't know. Maybe Lighthouse could shed some light on that.

As I said in an earlier post, I have never been a big FF fan so I will probably be much more lenient in my judgement than others on this board. As long as I am entertained, then I really will not care how old Reed and the rest are.

Russ

sounds promising smile.gif I agree with not flooding the market with Ultimate long term titles - (Ultimate Speedball?) but I do like the major crossovers that come out weekly in the form of short term mini series (Ultimate War, Ultimate Six, Ultimate Daredevil and Elektra)

What kind of comics do you like?

I like a wide range of stuff, though for the most part I shy away from stuff targeted at teens and pre-teens (including most manga) and I prefer, for lack of a better term, "pretty art" (Greg Land and Jim Lee - thumbsup2.gif Chris Bachalo and Humberto Ramos - 893censored-thumb.gif NO!!)

I'm not saying a book targeted for a younger audience can't be appealing - as much as I try not to like it, I keep buying and reading Ultimate Spider-Man because it's such a solid read. However, Ultimate Peter is only a few years younger than Marvel Universe Peter was in AF15...it's a much smaller stretch than having Ben Grimm fighting school bullies to save Reed from getting his head flushed down the toilet.

I will pick up UFF #1 and give it a read, but I admit that this "high school hijinx" FF is a big turn-off going in. I'm not the only one who thinks so - go look at some of the fanboy message boards where they are ripping the Smallville rip-off concept to shreds. Unfortunately, I can pretty much guarantee that UFF #1 will be the only issue I will be buying because I will bet big money that NOTHING HAPPENS IN THE ISSUE. It'll be the first part of a "made for TPB" 6-part origin story and all we'll figure out in issue #1 is that Reed likes Sue and Ben and Johnny don't like each other and that Reed is a science whiz. You probably won't see them in costume until issue #5 (if you're lucky).

Gene

although ultimate FF could be a cool concept, I'm hoping it's actually more of a millar influenced book than a bendis one. I like Bendis, but I don't want the FF to become too bogged down in dialog. I think it would have been more interesting (and just as pitchworthy to hollywood) to make ultimate hollywood about a group of young 20s FF members who are a little older than the rest of the teen aged ultimate marvel u. Although the Ultimates are the "adults" in the marvel universe... shaping the importance of the ultimate ff could have made this series a standout one... I'm hoping for great things, but I'm not expecting much... I question whether Bendis understands what separates the FF from the other marvel titles... but we'll have to see.