• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

World Around Us thread

27 posts in this topic

I agree.....those are very cool! Reminds me of when Mica posted his massive Classics Illustrated Collection. Lots of great painted covers I'd never seen.

Red

here are the final four books from the series. It looks like they never wrapped up some of the series that they had running. sure wonder what happened to "The Armada" or "The Witches of Salem"

WAU34FISHING.jpg

Great set, Jim!

Do you know what the circle-H means? I think I have it on some of mine too. Distributor's mark?

(Comical placement on this cover.)

Jack

here are the final four books from the series. It looks like they never wrapped up some of the series that they had running. sure wonder what happened to "The Armada" or "The Witches of Salem"

[

WAU36FIGHTFORLIFE.jpg

Oi, this book, this book.

I have to share. This was a grail of mine for many years. I had it as a child, lost it and really wanted it back. Searched dealers for years, pre internet without success. A lot of them didn't know what I was talking about.

As an active collector, I never gave up hope. I was in NYC late 90's and had an entree to Joe Koch's warehouse, so visited and pulled a lot of books. Mid grade silver age DC & Marvel and odd ball books (Archie Fly's, Jaguars, Shadows, Super Heroes vs Super Villains, Lightning's Captain Marvel (they don't get any odder) and a bunch more.

Anyway, towards the end of my scavenger trip I mentioned this particular book to Joe and he said he might have it. His warehouse is huge and contains tens of thousands of books.

Anyway, I found it.

Had that rush that only true collectors get.

Why am I telling you this? Because I told Joe this. When he totalled my purchases this book was not included. I queried and he said no problem, gift for you.

Needless to say, I will continue to buy from Joe. I know the grading is iffy, but I find with his pricing I can be comfortable with it.

Oh, that book has Jack Kirby art. Rough in places, but definitely Jack.

I am not sure what the stamp on the cover means, but I would guess that it is some kind of distributors stamp. I found it on almost 1/2 of the books that I have.

here are a couple prime examples of the the return spray. As you can see they went ENTIRELY AROUND the book, not just a quick mark. The paint us even worse on the back as is shows more on the white. the spray soaks in to each page of the book, sometimes 1/4 of an inch

WAU26CIVILWAR.jpg

WAU27HIGHADVENTURE.jpg