• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Most undervalued Comic Mags

12 posts in this topic

Being that I am a zine collector I naturally think the entire market is undervalued....with that in mind here is what I consider the most undervalued issues/titles in the comic magazine niche ...

In no order:

1.Blazing Combat #1 ... Hard to find , early Warren Mag, Frazetta art, nuff said.

2. Savage Tales 2-5: The Conan Mags before they moved conan to his own title in SSOC. Without looking too hard you can find these for 3-5 bucks in VF or higher on ebay. I recently bought a run of 2-9 for 25 bucks.

3. Any Skywald horror title , especially Scream.

4. HellRider: Bizarre Skywald version of ghostrider (predates ghostrider)

5. Weird Tales of the Macarbe 1-2 (seaboard I believe published this , boris cover on #2, well done all around)

6. Devilina #1 : you can pick this up for mere peanuts on ebay (picked up a vf+ copy for apprx 2 bucks a few months ago). Cool little 1970 vampirella clone mag.

7. Unknown Worlds of Science Fiction : Curtis/Marvel sci-fi title... Cheap cheap. Goes for around 3-5 bucks an issue in VF-NM.

8. Savage Sword of Conan 2-100: Only #1 really garners the money right now , you can still grab these geat early issues for next to nothing.

9. Curtis 1 shots: Deadliest hands of kung-fu,Legion of Monsters

10. The Warren Lord of the Rings Special: you'd think with the movie popularity this lil gem would be a rising star. Nevertheless it still basks in the relative obscurity of the comic mag market.

This is the next stuff that could go ballistic after CGC starts grading 'em. People wondering where the next Hulk 181's gonna' be. Maybe somewhere in your list. grin.gif

I'm not sure about this. I don't think that magazine prices will soar like comics did once CGC hit the scene. I think that collectors will realize that, just like comics, the magazines will eventually show up in all grades on the census. People will not be paying ridiculous prices for "common" 9.2's and 9.4's as they know that, in time, more ewill appear.

Chris

I think that collectors will realize that, just like comics, the magazines will eventually show up in all grades on the census. People will not be paying ridiculous prices for "common" 9.2's and 9.4's as they know that, in time, more ewill appear.

I have to think that if CGC uses the same standards to grade magazines as they do on comics, the high grades will be much much rarer. It is very difficult to find NM/M magazines from any company. I pulled out my comics & magazines form the mid 70s & the comics survived in much better condition. Add in that many more comics survived the 70s in collectible conditions than magazines & the speculators could have a field day. If the speculators move on to the b&w magazine search, some oddball mags are going to go way up.

I have to think that if CGC uses the same standards to grade magazines as they do on comics, the high grades will be much much rarer. It is very difficult to find NM/M magazines from any company. If the speculators move on to the b&w magazine search, some oddball mags are going to go way up.

Add to that the fact that circ numbers for most mags were fractions of the popular comic title numbers and you have the possibility for major increases for many items.

Im sure we are going to see some initial insanity for items like Vampirella #1,Savage Tales #1 but even casting that aside I expect an across the board increase for most of the bw mags. Basically it all depends on how much attention is thrown on this niche by CGC grading and the interest of specualtors. Up until very recently most comic mag collectors have had a private lil paradise where very few intruded and all items were quite affordable. Lets see what happens next. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Basically it all depends on how much attention is thrown on this niche by CGC grading and the interest of specualtors. Up until very recently most comic mag collectors have had a private lil paradise where very few intruded and all items were quite affordable. Lets see what happens next.

I agree, think it will be veery interesting. For those that don't follow b&w magazines, go do a search on ebay. Very rarely do you see NM/M items for sale. Most of the VF would have no hope of getting that from CGC.

A year or 2 ago, when I was focusing on Deadly Hands of Kung Fu, the covers of Bruce Lee & Billy Jack (yes...Billy Jack) were going for very high prices in relation to the rest of the run. Same for the last 3 or 4 issues from the Planet of the Apes run that was considered rare. I had a real nice run of Planet of the Apes until my wifes ex-cat used the box as a scratch post. I miss that cat....

3. Any Skywald horror title , especially Scream.

One of the foremost among these Skywalds would be Nightmare # 20. This magazine not only has a killer severed head cover, but John Byrne's 1st artwork (2 pgs), & a Hitler appearance! If you're a Byrne completist, this magazine is a must have.

283980-nightmare%2020.JPG

589a8b3fa4cc5_283980-nightmare20.JPG.3df8bd322c8daf102ad3fb8994630471.JPG

Yup that is an awesome issue and youre right, I shouldve singled that one out. Unfortunately that is one of the few Skywald mags I don't have.

Pieced together almost complete runs of Nightmare and Psycho however only about 50% done with my Scream run. For whatever reason it is much easier to find higher grade issues of Nightmare than either Psycho or Scream. Psycho IMO is a tough find in VF or higher but Scream is even tougher. 893frustrated.gif

As for Gothic Romances.... I am completely unfamiliar with this title confused-smiley-013.gif

So, what's the scoop ? Is it teen love or Romance Horror ? Are we talking 1950's Atlas ???

As for Gothic Romances.... I am completely unfamiliar with this title confused-smiley-013.gif

So, what's the scoop ? Is it teen love or Romance Horror ? Are we talking 1950's Atlas ???

Atlas/Seaboard one-shot magazine. Contains art by Neal Adams but mostly text pieces. Very hard to find in nice shape.....

Jim