• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FF 5 : What Are The Chances...

112 posts in this topic

I'm sure someone will appear shortly to defend the sale. I'd just like to know the circumstances of this transaction and how the book came into the sellers hands. If he is unwittingly going to be a source for DD to seed books through....he should know, if he doesn't know already.

...show me another one of that sellers auctions with a similar background paper. It's a DD book. Either Danny hoisted it on this guy, or Danny has a new mule.

My first thought as well. Hop on the Grand Central Parkway and it's 15 minutes from Floral Park to Astroria.

I'm sure someone will appear shortly to defend the sale. I'd just like to know the circumstances of this transaction and how the book came into the sellers hands. If he is unwittingly going to be a source for DD to seed books through....he should know, if he doesn't know already.

I think the fact that the trimming and resto is disclosed shows that Silver Age legit. I've seen them at many shows and they always appear to label restored books as such.

That said, if DD walked into their shop to consign, did Silver Age necessarily do anything wrong as long as the resto is disclosed? (shrug)

I'm just curious as to what transpired, because if DD did just walk in off the street, he obviously brought a cd with a full set of scans too. And the owner of Silver Age might want to know who he was dealing with, and that it could hurt his reputation if he (even unknowingly) added and abetted a guy who has ripped people off for decades.

I think the fact that the trimming and resto is disclosed shows that Silver Age legit. I've seen them at many shows and they always appear to label restored books as such.

That said, if DD walked into their shop to consign, did Silver Age necessarily do anything wrong as long as the resto is disclosed? (shrug)

Exactly, when was the last time did anyone see a listing that had this much disclosure. These guys are 100% legit, the only thing they forgot to do was pass on their business model to Heritage :applause:

untitled.jpg

Scan doesn't look like a DD scan to me. It's not nearly as clear and vibrant, and the shadow is on the left edge rather than on the bottom or top, which is where DD typically has the shadow line fall.

ymmv

I'm just curious as to what transpired, because if DD did just walk in off the street, he obviously brought a cd with a full set of scans too. And the owner of Silver Age might want to know who he was dealing with, and that it could hurt his reputation if he (even unknowingly) added and abetted a guy who has ripped people off for decades.

I hear you.

It's an interesting ethical question. Is selling DD books (with full disclosure) aiding and abetting? Or should every book that ever passed through his hands be relegated to some sort of comic purgatory... never to see the open market again?

hm

I'm 110% positive it's a Dupcak scan. Take a look at the superjumbo scan of the upper right corner and tell me that isn't a doctored scan. No book in the known universe looks like that. I'm not even talking about the book so much. The pixel quality of the scan has undergone a digital grooming.

So.....despite the declaration of restoration (which of course is imbedded in the body copy and not mentioned in the title or subtitle) the fact that the book is being sold with doctored scans is enough for me to consider it smarmy.

The seller did not scan that book himself.

I'm 110% positive it's a Dupcak scan. Take a look at the superjumbo scan of the upper right corner and tell me that isn't a doctored scan. No book in the known universe looks like that. I'm not even talking about the book so much. The pixel quality of the scan has undergone a digital grooming.

So.....despite the declaration of restoration (which of course is imbedded in the body copy and not mentioned in the title or subtitle) the fact that the book is being sold with doctored scans is enough for me to consider it smarmy.

Hey wow, Brad, I only could see one line of your post, until I quoted it.... bizzare!

Hey wow, Brad, I only could see one line of your post, until I quoted it.... bizzare!

I added stuff to it after my original post.

Ok, where was I going with this.

The scan's do look iffy, but all the major flaws are included with the trimming, and colour touch disclosures.

So the image distortion is almost irrelavant at this point to the buyer.

The immediately visible flaws are numerous and on full display.

You could assume though that they set the camera to it's lowest pixel resolution to get the image. Or the classic, stand back a fair bit, and zoom in with a budget camera... always great for fudging close-ups.

Those scans got a heavy dose of Photoshop. The book itself may be no more than a VG+ in real life. Odds are, the book itself does not come close to the scans. That's fraudulent in my book.

How many times do you have to see this modus operandi repeated to get it?

how is that book only a VG+ (putting aside the resto?)? i don't care how much pixelation fun is going on.

that's a nice copy.

and the restoration (or at least the fact that there is restoration) is disclosed.

i don't get it.

the problem with DD, et al. is not disclosing. there's nothing wrong with disclosing restoration or restoring. people sell restored GA books all the time --- with disclosure -- and there's no controversy.

yes, i understand the problem with buying DD consignment books

these dealers have been around a while though, i've seen them for years, though i've never been in the stores. kind of hard to intentionally run a fraudulent operation when you're a brick & mortar.

Those scans got a heavy dose of Photoshop. The book itself may be no more than a VG+ in real life. Odds are, the book itself does not come close to the scans. That's fraudulent in my book.

How many times do you have to see this modus operandi repeated to get it?

Well I'm not surprised someone else hasn't had a go at it, but with all the other big books this seller has on offer. It seems quite short sighted to risk their rep over this book.

Unless, as you say, the scan's were provided with the consignment of the book... could be the case hm

This is the only book in this format in their listings.

DD overgrades as well as photoshops.

:gossip:

You have ask why one of the most knowledgeable people in the business does not CGC his books to maximize profit? He can obviously detect resto, acc. to him get his resto past CGC, and grade well.

Why?