• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PARADISE TORONTO COMICON JULY 12-13 2008

221 posts in this topic

Paradise Conventions is happy to announce the artist of our 2008 Program Cover

Special Guest

MARK SPARACIO

Mark Sparacio studied sequential art for three years under the legendary Will Eisner at the School of Visual Arts in Manhattan. While still in school, Sparacio received his first job to do a painting for the movie poster for the United Artist film, “The Draughtsman’s Contract”, which led to a long run as a freelance illustrator in the advertising industry. As the market for illustration collapsed, the door opened for Sparacio to go back to the medium that is his first love: comic books. As well as doing painted covers for Alpha-Omega’s “Spirit” comic book, Sparacio has done cover paintings for Billy Tucci’s “Shi”, DC comic’s “Green Lantern”, Comic’s Buyers Guide and Alter Ego. He has done paintings for card sets for UpperDeck /DC comics and Topps’ “Wacky Packages” and “Garbage Pail Kids”. Sparacio will be penciling the upcoming title “Liberty Girl” for Heroic Publishing as well as Ken Lillie-Paetz’ “Elsinore” for Devil’s Due Publishing. He is also developing his own Sci-Fi/ superhero comic and hopes to find a publisher soon. Sparacio lives with his wife and two sons on Long Island, New York.

Paradise Conventions is happy to announce

Special Guest

BILLY TUCCI

Billy Tucci is an illustrator, writer and filmmaker best known for his modern-day samurai fable Shi. Through Billy's Crusade Fine Arts, the multi-Eisner Award nominated Shi has been printed in four languages and has sold more than 4 million comic books. His warrior-woman has also grossed over 25 million dollars in prints, toys and other merchandise worldwide while garnering several international creative and printing awards.

Shi has been featured on FOX, NBC, and E! television while also gaining recognition in The New York Times, Wall Street Journal and USA Today. The character has also crossed over with many comic book icons including Daredevil, Witchblade and Wolverine.

Billy is also one of the few comic book creators recognized by Wizard on both their Top Ten Artists and Writers list.

The former paratrooper is also an honorably discharged veteran of the US Army, the New York and Rhode Island National Guards

Paradise Conventions is happy to announce

Special Guest

SCOTT WEGENER

Scott Wegener lives in New Hampshire with his wife Dorinda and their 7yr old Widget. He is the co-creator and artist of Atomic Robo. He has most recently worked on Punisher War Journal for Marvel, and has worked on several anthologies for Image Comics. Scott shares his small studio with a poet, a washer/dryer, and a box of dust that used to be his three-legged cat.

I can hardly wait for this. I mean I was excited about Tucci (even if it does mean I have to buy Shi all over again) but then I saw BEYONDER would be there and well-- I mean it doesn't get better than that.

This is a good guest list and I'm jazzed Linsner is coming back. We got a KILLER sketch done last year, but as much as I love Dawn I wouldn't mind something more mainstream either.

Paradise Conventions

is happy to announce

J.TORRES

J. Torres is the series writer of Wonder Girl and Teen Titans Go, as well as a contributing writer to Batman Strikes and Legion of Super Heroes in the 31st Century for DC Comics.

His graphic novels include the Eisner Award nominated Alison Dare, the ALA listed Days Like This, the Harvey nominated Sidekicks and the Shuster Award winning Love as a Foreign Language, all published by Oni Press.

His upcoming projects include the Family Dynamic miniseries for DC and new Degrassi: The Next Generation webisodes for Epitome Pictures.

Paradise Conventions

is happy to announce our next

FRANCIS MANAPUL

Artist, Legion of Super-Heroes (DC Comics) Was born in Manila, Philippines on August 26th, 1979 and moved to Toronto with his family in 1989. Francis works out of his home studio in Toronto and enjoys movies, music, poker and video games when he isn't at the drawing table.

Francis began his career at the age of eighteen with a book published by SLG Publishing called "Love in Tights". He moved on to Top Cow Productions, where he worked on several books including a long successful run on their flagship title Witchblade. Francis collaborated with writer Joshua Ortega to launch the mini-series Necromancer. Beginning in late 2006 he collaborated with creator Jason Rubin (Crash Bandicoot) on his creator owned mini-series called Iron and the Maiden.

In 2007, Francis signed a two year exclusive contract with DC Comics and his first project at DC is the "The Legion of Superheroes", with writer Jim Shooter

Paradise Conventions

CAMERON STEWART

Cameron is an Eisner Award-nominated Canadian comic artist who has worked for DC, Marvel, and Dark Horse.

Stewart is best known for his work on Catwoman with writer Ed Brubaker, and Seaguy and Seven Soldiers: The Manhattan Guardian with writer Grant Morrison.

October 2006 saw the release of The Other Side, a graphic novel about the Vietnam war illustrated by Stewart (and written by Jason Aaron), for which he travelled to Vietnam for research. The Other Side was nominated for an Eisner Award in the Best Limited Series category of 2007.

In 2007, Stewart created drawings which appeared in a comic book-style animation sequence at the end of the music video for Canadian pop singer Skye Sweetnam's song "Human", the first single off of her sophomore album Sound Soldier.

www.cameron-stewart.com

Paradise Conventions

CAMERON STEWART

Cameron is an Eisner Award-nominated Canadian comic artist who has worked for DC, Marvel, and Dark Horse.

Stewart is best known for his work on Catwoman with writer Ed Brubaker, and Seaguy and Seven Soldiers: The Manhattan Guardian with writer Grant Morrison.

October 2006 saw the release of The Other Side, a graphic novel about the Vietnam war illustrated by Stewart (and written by Jason Aaron), for which he travelled to Vietnam for research. The Other Side was nominated for an Eisner Award in the Best Limited Series category of 2007.

In 2007, Stewart created drawings which appeared in a comic book-style animation sequence at the end of the music video for Canadian pop singer Skye Sweetnam's song "Human", the first single off of her sophomore album Sound Soldier.

www.cameron-stewart.com

sweeeet.

Paradise Conventions

RAMÓN PÉREZ

Ramón, is a long time artist on role playing games, collectible card games, magazines and recently comics, he has pencilled every genre from sci-fi to teen drama, including his own online comic strip Butternut Squash. Ramon has recently begun working for DC Comics, and is involved in producing a three issue Wildcat story for JSA Classified #35-#37 that runs from February to April 2008.

Ramon Perez’s Blog: http://thecalaverakid.blogspot.com/

Butternut Squash Webcomic: http://www.butternutsquash.net

Kukuburi Webcomic: http://www.kukuburi.transmission-x.com/

Paradise Conventions

is pleased to announce our next

HOWARD WONG

Howard writes his own biography I am Canadian. I live in Toronto, Ontario with my wife, two daughters and our dog.

I launched my comic book writing career creating the smash hit, 3-issue mini series, After the Cape (Shadowline/Image Comics). Starting in November 2007 the series continues with After the Cape II. I also contributed to a short story for the Grunts (Arcana Comics) trade paperback titled Iron Snake in the Desert. I'm currently working on other projects that hopefully you will be seeing soon.

Before all of that, I wrote skits for variety shows and articles for a school newspaper, while attending university.

http://www.myspace.com/howard_wong

http://www.comicspace.com/howardwong/

Paradise Conventions

DAVE SIM

Dave Sim was born in Hamilton, Ontario in 1956 and grew up in Kitchener, where he still lives. In 1977 Sim began publishing Cerebus the Aardvark, the comic book that would change his life and transform modern comics. Although it began as a clever sword-and-sorcery parody, Cerebus later evolved (with assistance from Sim's collaborator, Gerhard), over nearly three decades, into a sophisticated work of art, an ambitious and complex 300-issue graphic novel exploring not only the comics medium, but also other facets of popular culture and society at large, not to mention Sim's personal life. The longest-running comic in Canadian history, it is truly unique and stands as one of the country's greatest achievements in comic art, one that has deservedly received international acclaim, including the Eisner, Harvey, and Shuster awards.

2008 sees the launch of two major projects for Dave the first being Judenhass, a personal reflection on The Holocaust in the form of a 56 page graphic novel. Begun in response to the sixtieth anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz (2005) it will be released during the sixtieth anniversary of the founding of Israel this May. And his latest comic work Glamourpuss a new project, described as "part haute couture magazine parody that's SO 'six months ago'," part "homage to the classic photorealism black & white 'beyond noir' comic strips of the 1940s and 50s," and part "strangest super-heroine comic book of all time.

http://www.glamourpusscomic.com/

(DAVE WILL BE APPEARING SATURDAY JULY 12 ONLY)

Paradise Conventions

DAVE SIM

Dave Sim was born in Hamilton, Ontario in 1956 and grew up in Kitchener, where he still lives. In 1977 Sim began publishing Cerebus the Aardvark, the comic book that would change his life and transform modern comics. Although it began as a clever sword-and-sorcery parody, Cerebus later evolved (with assistance from Sim's collaborator, Gerhard), over nearly three decades, into a sophisticated work of art, an ambitious and complex 300-issue graphic novel exploring not only the comics medium, but also other facets of popular culture and society at large, not to mention Sim's personal life. The longest-running comic in Canadian history, it is truly unique and stands as one of the country's greatest achievements in comic art, one that has deservedly received international acclaim, including the Eisner, Harvey, and Shuster awards.

2008 sees the launch of two major projects for Dave the first being Judenhass, a personal reflection on The Holocaust in the form of a 56 page graphic novel. Begun in response to the sixtieth anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz (2005) it will be released during the sixtieth anniversary of the founding of Israel this May. And his latest comic work Glamourpuss a new project, described as "part haute couture magazine parody that's SO 'six months ago'," part "homage to the classic photorealism black & white 'beyond noir' comic strips of the 1940s and 50s," and part "strangest super-heroine comic book of all time.

http://www.glamourpusscomic.com/

(DAVE WILL BE APPEARING SATURDAY JULY 12 ONLY)

:o(worship)

Paradise Conventions

is pleased to announce our next

EVA HOPKINS

Eva Hopkins has been in the comic industry for almost 9 years. Her primary employment is as colorist on Dawn & office goddess for Linsner.com. 2005 marks her solo comics debut with the B & W short story anthology Fear of Flight. Featuring dazzling art by Linsner, the Fillbäch Brothers, Kevin J. Taylor & Jeff Lafferty, Fear of Flight is a collection of 5 stories, all written by Eva, & is 40 pages of B & W indie comics goodness - on sale at the Luna Muse Studios table. Luna Muse Studios is Eva's new studio. She will be able to play there. It's still very much in development, being new like it is.

Fear of Flight is one of a recent small wave of comics that have been digitally printed. Eva thinks digital printing is keen, & will allow indie creators greater control over small-run projects, giving even a mini-comic the chance to shine.

Eva's current focus of attention is the 2008 debut of the co-creation between her & Dawn's Joseph Michael Linsner, Dark Ivory A goth brunette teenage bloodsucker, think "My So-Called Life As a Vampire". She also has plans for a second short-story anthology & a "Fear of Flight" T-shirt.

http://www.linsner.com/

http://www.lunamusestudios.com/