• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC Decade - month by month sampler - The 1960s

592 posts in this topic

The thread moves on...

Welcome, everyone, to DC comics of 1962!

Several forumites have said to me that they would like more time per year, so it's not such a rush to get scans up. Well, let's leave this one running at 1962 over the next few days and even the whole week if interest does not falter.

Remember, books from 1960 and 1961 can still be shown under a "flashback" header.

As a DC year, 1962 had pretty much the same feel as 1961. The books had similar appearance, style and storytelling.

So what of 1962? It was a HUGE year in comics, probably the biggest year since 1938. But not because of DC. At the start of 1962 The Fantastic Four title was just beginning to establish itself over at Marvel. Spider-Man, Hulk and Thor would all debut in 1962 and comic books would never be the same again.

Let's hope we get some great contributions for DC Decade : 1962!

The thread moves on...

Welcome, everyone, to DC comics of 1962!

And let's hope we get some gooofy contributions too!

I'll start with this annotated Adventures of Jerry (or is that his cousin Bobby?) Lewis 72, October 1962, from the skypinkblu pedigree, recently posted on the 12¢ thread. Does anyone here think that A. G. is "Too good looling"?

49798-Jerry72.jpg

Jack

Two nice single-digit issues of Aquaman, #2 Apr '62) and #4 (Aug '62), also posted recently on the 12¢ thread. Attractive Nick Cardy covers with a kid sidekick run amuck and water-sprite buddy, Quisp!

Jack

51423-Aquaman2.jpg

51424-Aquaman4.jpg

Remember, books from 1960 and 1961 can still be shown under a "flashback" header.

Flashbacks from the '60s!

They warned us about those, but did we listen? No-o-o!

I think I forgot to post this one (from the 10¢ thread not long ago).

Mystery in Space 63, November 1960, 11th Adam Strange.

An oddball alien and his device, plus classic Infantino futuristic cityscape.

50209-MiS63.jpg

"A transparent solution of liquid iron", followed by tin, gold and barium. Pastures of plenty!

I commented at the time about how the colorist varied the background to complement each metal color.

50210-MiS63page.jpg

Jack

How about a FLASHback to 1961?

And another!

This is one of my few slabbed comics. My Greatest Adventure 57, July 1961, CGC 7.5, highest graded copy (at the time -- still true?).

Not a very good scan. I've learned a better way to compress so I don't have to shrink it so much.

Jack

52887-mga57.jpg