• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC Decade - month by month sampler - The 1960s

592 posts in this topic

Thanks for all the great 1963 scans. Although the thread has cooled off a bit - as I knew it would, which is why two days per year would have kept it better focused - we are still moving on. 1964 begins Monday!

Thanks for all the great 1963 scans. Although the thread has cooled off a bit - as I knew it would, which is why two days per year would have kept it better focused - we are still moving on. 1964 begins Monday!

Hey steelcity sorry I haven't been around all week. Lately I've only found time on the weekend to scan books. 1963 is a cool year for DC. I went thru a bunch and got carried away with my scanner. Thought I'd show some stuff that no ones been posting. I have complete runs of most of these titles including so many more. I've seen Adventure Comics, Superboy, Green Lantern, Justice League, all the Superman & Batman titles but these here I haven't seen posted on this thread or hardly any threads. At least none lately.

So here goes.........Hope ya'll's PC's don't melt! lol

Again as the prevoius year...Blackhawk is issued all 12 months for a complete 1963 grouping.

blackhawk180fc.jpg

blackhawk181fc.jpg

blackhawk182fc.jpg

blackhawk183fc.jpg

blackhawk184fc.jpg

blackhawk185fc.jpg

blackhawk186fc.jpg

blackhawk187fc.jpg

blackhawk188fc.jpg

blackhawk189fc.jpg

blackhawk190fc.jpg

blackhawk191fc.jpg

Here's the complete 1963 Challengers of the Unknown

challengers29fc.jpg

challengers30fc.jpg

challengers31fc.jpg

challengers32fc.jpg

challengers33fc.jpg

challengers34fc.jpg

The complete 1963 Flash including the one shot Annual!

flash134fc.jpg

flash135fc.jpg

flash136fc.jpg

flash137fc.jpg

flash138fc.jpg

flash139fc.jpg

flash140fc.jpg

flash141fc.jpg

flashannualfc.jpg

flashannualbc.jpg

Sadly this is the only 1963 Fox and Crow I have at this time.

foxcrow77fc.jpg

A few "Our Fighting Forces" from 1963.

off75fc.jpg

off77fc.jpg

off78fc.jpg

off79fc.jpg

1 Heart Throbs and a few Secret Hearts from 1963. I'm still working on the Romance titles.

secrethearts81fc-1.jpg

secrethearts85fc-1.jpg

secrethearts87fc-1.jpg

secrethearts92fc-1.jpg

The complete 1963 Showcase

showcase42fc-1.jpg

showcase43fc-1.jpg

showcase44fc-1.jpg

showcase45fc-1.jpg

showcase46fc-1.jpg

showcase47fc-1.jpg

The complete 1963 Wonder Woman!

wonderwoman135fc-1.jpg

wonderwoman136fc-1.jpg

wonderwoman137fc-1.jpg

wonderwoman138fc-1.jpg

wonderwoman139fc-1.jpg

wonderwoman140fc-1.jpg

wonderwoman141fc-1.jpg

wonderwoman142fc-1.jpg

FLASHBACK 1962 RUDOLPH

rudolph196162fc.jpg

The final issue and scarcest of all the Rudolph comics. The 1962 - '63 Giant-sized annual. There were only 13 issues of Rudolph beginning in 1950. And this is by far the toughest one to get. In any condition! I've never been able to get any of these in high grade. Anyone of you have nice copies?

rudolph196263fc.jpg

Yikes!! Over 50 different books here. I never even got to all the Metal Men, some of the other war titles, Aquaman, Atom, etc. And I have some beautiful HG's of many of these. Not sure if I'll do this many again. Course it gave me a good reason to start scanning more of my collection and to have some fun at the same time.

In 1964 only a few new titles are introduced. Doom Patrol, Hawkman the 80 Page Giant series and the one shot Sgt. Rock's Prize Battle Tales. Hope to see some nice examples of these this coming week. My 80 Page Giant run really needs to be upgraded. Okay...I'm done.

....1963 is a cool year for DC. I went thru a bunch and got carried away with my scanner. Thought I'd show some stuff that no ones been posting. I have complete runs of most of these titles including so many more. I've seen Adventure Comics, Superboy, Green Lantern, Justice League, all the Superman & Batman titles but these here I haven't seen posted on this thread or hardly any threads. At least none lately.

So here goes.........Hope ya'll's PC's don't melt! lol

WOW, what a great 1963 set!

I can't resist commenting on a few books.

Again as the prevoius year...Blackhawk is issued all 12 months for a complete 1963 grouping.

blackhawk184fc.jpg

Fantastic run. I should really hate DC for taking Quality's marvelous aviation adventure team and turning them into a cheezy pseudo-superhero team with sci-fi villains (really culminating a few years later, of course), but I can't resist these covers!

I always liked DC's split characters (Metamorpho, Ultra, Composite Superman, etc.), but this one is unfamiliar. Only appearance?

blackhawk185fc.jpg

There's that 1963 typeset text again!

What an alien! Did he wander over from one of Sprang's Batman covers?

blackhawk188fc.jpg

Zinda cover appearance! :luhv:

I'm surprised they didn't include her almost every month.

blackhawk189fc.jpg

hm. Replace those skis with a surfboard....

Similar to Kirby's Black Racer too (Is that the right character? I don't know Fourth World very well.)

Here's the complete 1963 Challengers of the Unknown

challengers30fc.jpg

And Kirby's adventure team follows Blackhawk down Pseudo-Superhero Lane.

I liked Multi-Man even though his powers were vaguely defined. Anything the plot required, I suppose. Did DC kill him off in Crisis, or was he fully ignored by then? Does he ever show up in modern DC continuity?

challengers31fc.jpg

The kind of Grand Golem that Challengers were really good at facing. Pretty good faux Kirby on this cover.

challengers32fc.jpg

Typeset again! Visually attractive monster/villain.

The complete 1963 Flash including the one shot Annual!

flash135fc.jpg

Utter classics! I forgot these were so close together. Multiple Flashes on all three that I quoted.

Leave it to DC and Infantino to turn a costume change into an iconic cover.

flash137fc.jpg

Those early Justice Society appearances really caught my imagination. (Everyone who was confused by Earth-1/Earth-2, raise your hands.)

flash139fc.jpg

Deserves a "classic cover" tag in Overstreet. Infantino split cover, futuristic cityscape, Flash and his inverse... wonderful.

Sadly this is the only 1963 Fox and Crow I have at this time.

A few "Our Fighting Forces" from 1963.

1 Heart Throbs and a few Secret Hearts from 1963. I'm still working on the Romance titles.

Great to see humor, war and romance represented.

The complete 1963 Showcase

showcase43fc-1.jpg

Except for Sergeant Rock, who was already pretty well established, not DC's best year for introducing successful new features in Showcase.

That @#$%%^& Doctor No issue -- hard to get. The only hole in my run between 32 and 77!

Fun covers, nice copies.

The complete 1963 Wonder Woman!

Yeah, I'm getting jealous.

wonderwoman141fc-1.jpg

Mouse Man ... cheeeeze.

wonderwoman142fc-1.jpg

Kanigher going nuts trying to figure out how many "Wonder Females" he could squeeze onto one cover. He made it up to eight!

FLASHBACK 1962 RUDOLPH

rudolph196162fc.jpg

The final issue and scarcest of all the Rudolph comics. The 1962 - '63 Giant-sized annual. There were only 13 issues of Rudolph beginning in 1950. And this is by far the toughest one to get. In any condition! I've never been able to get any of these in high grade. Anyone of you have nice copies?

rudolph196263fc.jpg

Wow. I only have two easy ones, 1952 and 1959-60. Very nicely produced books. I suppose they didn't survive because young kids got them for Christmas and beat the tar out of them during their Christmas break. Besides, who would bother do collect a kiddy comic book, right?

Yikes!! Over 50 different books here. I never even got to all the Metal Men, some of the other war titles, Aquaman, Atom, etc. And I have some beautiful HG's of many of these. Not sure if I'll do this many again. Course it gave me a good reason to start scanning more of my collection and to have some fun at the same time.

In 1964 only a few new titles are introduced. Doom Patrol, Hawkman the 80 Page Giant series and the one shot Sgt. Rock's Prize Battle Tales. Hope to see some nice examples of these this coming week. My 80 Page Giant run really needs to be upgraded. Okay...I'm done.

Fabulous overview -- thanks. I stashed away some 1964 scans for this week, coming up soon.

Jack

...Fabulous overview -- thanks. I stashed away some 1964 scans for this week, coming up soon.

Jack

Not as many as I hoped.

45465-Jerry84.jpg

First

Adventures of Jerry Lewis 84, Oct 1964.

Arnold Drake lays the Spider-Man parody and corny humor on heavily, Bob Oksner draws pretty girls.

Real Life calls. I'll try to post more 1964 later.

Jack

That's a great start Jack. I like the old Jerry Lewis covers. Enjoyed your comments on my books. Made the scans even more worthwhile. You find those Fox & Crows yet?

No, I think all my Fox and Crow comics are in storage. All I have at hand is whatever I've bought in the last few months, unfortunately. I'm sure there are several 1964 books there, but no time to scan today. I'll have to live vicarously through yours.

Jack