• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

9.4?? Really

32 posts in this topic

I was looking in the CGC gallery for some of my books and stumbled on this one. How is this a 9.4

http://www.cgccomics.com/gallery/details.aspx?comic=5163

When this one (which is one of mine) got a 9.2

http://www.cgccomics.com/gallery/details.aspx?comic=3143

ugh. maybe those giant spine creases were considered part of the sketch.

With all due respect. Just because The CGC says a book is a certain condition doesn't mean it is so. It is there opinion. There opinion is sometimes wrong. Sometimes a few including myself would say very wrong. I would never grade the first book a 9.4. The second book I would. The first book with the 2 huge marks would be a 8.5 if the rest of the book is perfect IMHO.

They don't look like creases to me.

You don't get two random giant creases like that without some other damage associated with whatever event which would have caused the crease.

thoes creases are pretty huge, and definately take away from the eye appeal of the book.

I understand the confusion Daniel. My Michael Lark Fallen Son cover looks like it got a 9.4 simply because of two barely noticeable finger prints on the back cover, while despite the fact that the book is in mint condition.

My guess would be that those 'creases' are an illusion. Stray hairs on the scanner or something?

CGC do not grade books with spine creases that large as 9.4, I'm sure of it.

Or damage to the book after it was slabbed?

Violently shaken...?

It's gotta be little scraps of plastic or something in the shell. I can't believe those would be creases and still get a 9.4.

My question is what the hell that sketch is supposed to be? A skull with no jawbone? (shrug) Yuck. :P

FallenSon3SketchBromSS94.jpg

FallenSon3SketchBromSS94.jpg

They are on the comic, the grader notes mention 2 minor creases that break color on the upper spine. I didn't inquire about the 9.2 , but imagine it has some type of more severe impact creasing that didnt break color.

I guess my question is why are 2 flaws like this allowed on a 9.4 Modern. Oh well, guess I have been undergrading!

And JC, you should know better that to on another collectors book, even if you think it is not even worthy of lining your bird cage, it might be somebody else's favorite book.

To each his own I say.

And JC, you should know better that to on another collectors book, even if you think it is not even worthy of lining your bird cage, it might be somebody else's favorite book.

I am not shatting on a book, but a *concept* of all these sketch variant, RRP, limited to X copies, manufactured collectibles, speculative BS.

Those aren't even comic books anymore.

No they arent comics, they are works of art. That is why I am collecting them. How cool is it to have an ORIGINAL COVER drawn on a comic by your favorite artist. You basically have a one of a kind collectable. This is not a variant but a way to personalize your collection. I love the idea and that is why have the largest collection of fallen son books. Eventually I want to get 100 and put out a book of all 100 with ALL proceeds going to cancer research.

No they arent comics, they are works of art. That is why I am collecting them. How cool is it to have an ORIGINAL COVER drawn on a comic by your favorite artist.

Agreed, I just don't like the speculative aspect of CGC grading this manufactured collectible. Seems to be just a tad too money-oriented for me, as opposed to Con sketches, which are also one-of-a-kind pieces of art.

But hey, to each his own - I just wish you nuts would stop whining about what grade CGC gave your book, as that shouldn't even enter into it for a true "work of art".

First off I there was no"whining" about any grade. I was just putting forth information comparing one book to another and asking how one could recieve a grade when it has glaringly obvious damage to the cover and another a lesser grade with no signs of physical damage

This was to strike up an intelligent discussion but I guess that is nearly impossible when there are people on this forum who just want to chime in with nothing productive to the conversation.

Pay JC no mind, most of us are used to his particular brand of sunshine and have learned to tune out his grumpy bucketisms.

Your post was fine, as was your question. I learned something about how CGC grades a certain flaw so this thread was productive as far as I'm concerned.

(thumbs u

Ze-