• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Production tears around staple on Valiant VVSS?

11 posts in this topic

I'm putting together a batch of comics to submit and thought I might include this Armorines #1 VVSS. It would be a surefire 9.8 except for this:

armorinesstaple.jpg

I know it's hard to see (crumby digital camera!) but the spine is torn open a little at the top staple. I would say it's a production flaw. I see a lot of later Valiants with spine's like this. It's as if the cover stock used is on the brittle side and doesn't like being folded in half without splitting like a green-stick.

The rest of the book is spiffing 9.8 worthiness (qualified for the sigs of course).

Anyone seen this type of flaw get slabbed? Effect on grade?

armorines1vvss.jpg

Are you asking about the cracking that occurs on the spine or a staple tear?

I have plenty of valiant 9.8s that have the "spine crack"... it's definately production related and happens when the coverstock is folded sharply.

Well, it depends. If you mean the ink has flaked and cracked, that's acceptable to a point in 9.8. It's actually acceptable to a point that's beyond what I personally will accept - the only CGC book I have ever returned to a seller was a Rai 2 that had way way too much ink flaked off the spine to be acceptable.

Now, if you mean the PAPER has actually cracked at the spine, even at the staple, my opinion is that you have little hope of a 9.8, whether it's production related or not. While these are allowed to a very limited extent at the top and bottom of the spine, my feeling from submitting many (700? 1000? more?) Valiants that splits in the middle of the book are tougher to swallow.

I have plenty of valiant 9.8s that have the "spine crack"... it's definately production related and happens when the coverstock is folded sharply.

Well, it depends. If you mean the ink has flaked and cracked, that's acceptable to a point in 9.8. It's actually acceptable to a point that's beyond what I personally will accept - the only CGC book I have ever returned to a seller was a Rai 2 that had way way too much ink flaked off the spine to be acceptable.

Yes, I was referring to the "crack" in the ink on the sharp fold. In my experience, if the cracking/flaking is a relatively fine line that doesn't flare out at the spine corners, it could make 9.8. If it flares out at the spine corners, less than 9.8.

Given the nature of the paper, ink coverage and folding process, I'd think it would be almost impossible to find some of these issues without some of this cracking along the spine.

So what you are saying is there is a crack option in this thread?

:cloud9:

I agree with you though, I think there can be the production ink crack, and or even minor flaking. But once it gets handled a few times and starts to increase those flecked and chipped areas or flare them out, that to me drops it out of true HG.

Yes, I was referring to the "crack" in the ink on the sharp fold. In my experience, if the cracking/flaking is a relatively fine line that doesn't flare out at the spine corners, it could make 9.8. If it flares out at the spine corners, less than 9.8.

Given the nature of the paper, ink coverage and folding process, I'd think it would be almost impossible to find some of these issues without some of this cracking along the spine.

Yes, agreed, the early superhero Valiants almost all have the flaking to some degree.

I'm putting together a batch of comics to submit and thought I might include this Armorines #1 VVSS. It would be a surefire 9.8 except for this:

armorinesstaple.jpg

I know it's hard to see (crumby digital camera!) but the spine is torn open a little at the top staple. I would say it's a production flaw. I see a lot of later Valiants with spine's like this. It's as if the cover stock used is on the brittle side and doesn't like being folded in half without splitting like a green-stick.

The rest of the book is spiffing 9.8 worthiness (qualified for the sigs of course).

Anyone seen this type of flaw get slabbed? Effect on grade?

armorines1vvss.jpg

The cover stock for the Platinum Spiderman #1 had similar issues. I had many copies with cracks that graded 9.6 (no 9.8's) out of 6 submitted.