• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

4 Part Comic Artist Question

14 posts in this topic

Forgive me if these have been covered in the past (and if they have, this thread can die a quick death)....I haven't started many threads here, but was tossing these questions around in my mind this morning and was curious how other forumites might answer these:

1. What comic artist(s) (if any) did you hate or dis-like when you were younger, but now you really enjoy?

When I was a kid, for some reason I absolutely despised Gene Colan. Love his stuff now. If you buy any of the stuff he did in Marvel's Essentials collection (like Tomb of Dracula), you can really appreciate his stuff in black and white.

Also: Arthur Suydam.

2. Is there an artist that when you first saw their work, you said: Holy :censored:, that is some great stuff and he/she continues to be one of your favorites?

For me, this artist is Bill Sienkiewicz. I absolutely love anything he does (unfortunately he doesn't do much work in comics these days). His New Mutants run blew me away.

3. Are there any artists that you liked in the past, but now you don't appreciate their art?

I know I'm not alone on this one: Todd McFarlane. I liked his stuff early on, but looking back on it now....it doesn't date well. There are probably others, but I can't think of them right now.

4. What artist(s) made (or make) you say 'Man, why couldn't they get anyone else to draw this book/cover?

Al Milgrom and Don Perlin :censored: me off in the 80's when they'd draw my favorite books and/or covers. And though I never really bought anything of theirs, I never liked Erik Larsen or Rob Liefield and refused to buy anything they drew.

I still get :censored: when I see Al Milgrom's stuff.

1) Gil Kane. I've said this story a few times, but when I was younger I couldn't stand his art. As I became older, I learned to appreciate it. Now I just love his work, especially his BA covers :cloud9:

2) Kirby & Eisner. Loved their art from the first time I saw them. Guess I could also throw Lou Fine in there. He's become my new favorite.

3) I honestly can't think of anybody

4) Frank Robbins

1) George Tuska

2) I'll go with Sienkiewicz here as well. And I totally agree about his New Mutants work. Very under-appreciated. Not to mention Elektra:Assassin

3) Kirby's bronze work....i.e. Black Panther, Cap, Forever People. I really liked it as a kid but I see it now and realize it consisted of about 5 poses over and over. And what's with those hands?

4) Al Milgrom and Gil Kane.

1. What comic artist(s) (if any) did you hate or dis-like when you were younger, but now you really enjoy?

I hated Jack Kirby when I was younger. Now I like his work but the earlier stuff.

2. Is there an artist that when you first saw their work, you said: Holy , that is some great stuff and he/she continues to be one of your favorites?

John Buscema. Loved his work and still do.

3. Are there any artists that you liked in the past, but now you don't appreciate their art?

I agree with McFarlane. I liked the early stuff, but I think he drew one of the worst Hulk's ever!

4. What artist(s) made (or make) you say 'Man, why couldn't they get anyone else to draw this book/cover?

Todd McFarlane. His Hulk work was terrible. All the same line weight, all little scratchy lines ever where and the huge brow on the Hulk. BLECH. I also agree with Milgrom: I cant even read Milgrom drawn books.

John Buscema's one of those guys that I never really paid much attention to when I first started collecting, but I've become a huge fan in the last couple years.

Now Sal Buscema on the other hand.....not so much.

John Buscema's one of those guys that I never really paid much attention to when I first started collecting, but I've become a huge fan in the last couple years.

Is this your bid to gain entry into the Selling Forum? :baiting:

Sal's not great, but he's not awful. He's a fine journeyman artist. With a good inker to flesh him out (Klaus Janson comes to mind, or Joe Staton or maybe even Ernie Chua/Chan), his books can look pretty damn good. I even like some of his Hulks towards the end of his run. Without a good inker though, the weakness of his work - incredible repetition in layout, poses and expressions - becomes readily apparent. I'll take an upturned Kane nose over a Buscema open mouth any day! I have trouble getting through many of his MTUs.

On the other hand, he was a great inker on his brother; John is quoted as saying Sal was his favorite.

I still need to answer the 4-part question at hand....

Sal Buscema is a great artist......well was. Check out some Avengers in the 159-169 era. I believe he drew 159 with Graviton as an example. It is great work.

For Sal it is all about who inks his pencils, and we hope it isnt himself.

Artboy99

Is this your bid to gain entry into the Selling Forum? :baiting:

lol I figured I opened my big mouth over there, so why not?

I'll take an upturned Kane nose over a Buscema open mouth any day! I have trouble getting through many of his MTUs.

ROFL - yeah, Sal was great with the open mouth! Any time I think of Sal Buscema I think of his Spidey run where Tombstone, Robbie and JJJ all looked like the same person, only colored differently.

Believe it or not, Paul Smith on Uncanny X-men. Now I fully appreciate this guy.

2. Is there an artist that when you first saw their work, you said: Holy , that is some great stuff and he/she continues to be one of your favorites?

Mark Silvestri for me.

Stephen Platt! Loved this guy when I was reading Moon Knight. Now it's just too wacky for me

hands down for me, Sam Keith. Totally not my style.

No one, really.

The closest is probably those "boring" adventure comic strip artists like Hal Foster on Prince Valiant and Milt Caniff/ Rockwell on Steve Canyon.

2. Is there an artist that when you first saw their work, you said: Holy :censored:, that is some great stuff and he/she continues to be one of your favorites?

Robert Crumb.

I liked Silver Age Marvel superheroes more or less across the board, but now I can see that some of the art was just plain mediocre. Don Heck's Iron Man, whoever Stan could talk into drawing X-Men in any given month, etc. The stories were still fun.

Ernie Chua/Chan and Rick Buckler. Oooooggggg -- so many covers! No wonder comic books almost died in the 1970s.

Jack

1. Frank Robbins. Used to hate him, now I'm kind of intrigued by his style.

2. Well, there was a guy named Frank Frazetta. Fell in love the first time I saw his work and he's still my favorite.

3. Gotta agree with BA Kirby. Collected all that stuff, and now I cringe at a lot of it.

4. Ernie Chan (just butchered so many great Buscema Conan covers). Also Rich Buckler (horrible sloppy JLAs and others) and Gene Colan (dont' know why but I just can't warm up to his style).