• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MiracleMan 2-D Copy Discovered!

6 posts in this topic

Guys,

Been away from the boards a long time - but thought I'd highlight this article on today's scoop - as it's an amazing find....

Overstreet advisor, Al Stoltz of Basement Comics, has always enjoyed the thrill of finding the most unusual and odd items of the comic world, and yet again, a rare and unusual book has just fallen into his hands. While digging in his warehouse last Friday, he opened a box and pulled through comics and items he purchased at least five years ago. Among the comics was a copy of Miracleman 3-D. After taking a closer look he realized that he was holding the second copy of the very rare MiracleMan 2-D comic book. Al had purchased this rare book and never even realized he owned it. Eclipse published 100 copies of each of their 3-D comics in black and white for those who could not see in 3-D and customers could order this version if interested.

"For some reason, these interesting type of comics just seem to find me,” said Al Stoltz.

Currently, there are two verified examples of the MiracleMan 2-D comic book with the other known copy located in the comic book collection of Michigan State University Special Collections Department.

"We are looking to document any copies of these book and also any verifiable sales of the MiracleMan 2-D edition," said Gemstone Publishing’s managing editor, Tom Gordon III. "Anyone with copies of this book should contact us at feedback@gemstonepub.com."

I was very interested to read this article.

I was a big Miracleman collector and had the best registry set for 2 years - but more importantly amassed a lot of detailed info about scarce MM items (there are lots not generally known).

In fact, I assisted chrisco37 a couple of years back in getting the 2D into Oversteet.

Actually, with Al's find there are now in fact, 3 known copies - and 1 suspected.

1. The Michigan State University copy.

2. Al's copy.

3. A copy owned by UK collector Derek Wilson. (no.92 of 100)

Derek has a huge Miracleman collection - including a lot of rare art. He definitely has a 2D copy and was able to provide the following facts -

- 100 copies produced

- signed and numbered in red ink by Cat Yronwode at the bottom of a variant page which explains amblyopia (variant page replaces the full-page ad for Mr. Monster no.3).

- Purchased only by mail order.

- Cost 2.5 times cover price.

- Has slightly thicker paper & stiffer cover

Derek has bought quite a lot of MM items from me. I offered him £400 for his copy but he wouldn't sell (don't blame him). I would offer Al the same amount if it's genuine (as above).

I think actually, they'll be two versions - one signed and one not.

In any case, Al has found EASILY the rarest copper age comic.

The 1 suspected copy - is from my memory - a copy was sold on eBay in 2002 for about $150. I distinctly remember this as it the auction was only accepting USA bids (I'm in England). I did email Mike Browning about it.

Al Stoltz does certainly have a talent for finding rare gems. One year at SD Con I bought a copy of "The Romance of Money" which has Jack Kirby's first pro work anywhere. It was the first print. The following year I saw him again at SD Con and he had the same book, 2nd print. I considered buying it, but it was gone when I came back. What are the chances of that?!?

Here's the copy I did get....:cloud9:

52746-trom.jpg.dabea46cf9ad66e2b80adff8e8bab329.jpg

Al Stoltz does certainly have a talent for finding rare gems. One year at SD Con I bought a copy of "The Romance of Money" which has Jack Kirby's first pro work anywhere. It was the first print. The following year I saw him again at SD Con and he had the same book, 2nd print. I considered buying it, but it was gone when I came back. What are the chances of that?!?

Here's the copy I did get....:cloud9:

You sure that's Kirby? Interior maybe?

Thats certainly one of the rarest modern works.When Eclipse went bankrupt,I bought approx. 500 pounds of sealed boxes that contained office and warehouse books of theirs. I went thru it piece by piece looking for things like this,hoping to find file copies.Ended up with stuff like the corrected versions of a New Wave book.

i'm curious to see what it sells for.