• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bill Hughes auctions results and did you win anything?

73 posts in this topic

I collect HG BA Marvel horror, so I was eyeing this book - Though I have a 9.6 I'm very happy with, I was curious to see what it went for. Final bid = $ 1051.. That's through the roof for this series; 9.8s fetches maybe $3-400.. But hey, you can't argue with 9.9 though. A ridicolous copy :cloud9:

WhereCreaturesRoam-7.jpg

Nik: When I first came back to the hobby my only goal was pedigreed Green Goblin issues but that was very liniting and not very fun, so obviously I expanded :) The Northland book fits my original goal plus if I ever find who owns the White Mountain copy (also a 9.2) I have trade bait. So no matter what, it's a win/win situation. I think you also convinced me in another thread that waiting months for a WM copy of anything to show up can make the hobby stagnant for a collector, so I've expanded my horizons a bit. Thanks for the advice.

Jim

Nik: When I first came back to the hobby my only goal was pedigreed Green Goblin issues but that was very liniting and not very fun, so obviously I expanded :) The Northland book fits my original goal plus if I ever find who owns the White Mountain copy (also a 9.2) I have trade bait. So no matter what, it's a win/win situation. I think you also convinced me in another thread that waiting months for a WM copy of anything to show up can make the hobby stagnant for a collector, so I've expanded my horizons a bit. Thanks for the advice.

Jim

That is really cool. Glad you snagged a great book!

White Mountain and Northland are both excellent pedigrees with superb examples of key books. The Northland Collection had at least two copies of the #14.

I have White Mountain copies of a couple of Goblin books. They were both listed as NM copies, being sold by a guy called John Hauser, in a 1995 edition of CBM. I seem to remember he was a vet in San Francisco.

Here they are:

AmazingSpider-man97WM.jpg

AmazingSpider-man98WM.jpg

Nik: You know what makes them even sweeter, their 71's, my birth year.

Let's do the math, White Mountains with 71 written on them + Goblin covers = :cloud9:

Jim

White Mountains with 71 written on them + Goblin covers + :cloud9: in public = $$$$$$$$$$

They must have done a job marketing this auction. I haven't heard of it until now.

Same here. I had no idea the auction was even taking place. (shrug)

:makepoint:

You always keep things to yourself you hoarder (tsk)

ok, mr. you can have the funny pages I won :sorry:

That was my Funny Pages. Highest certified! Awesome book.

Well with everybody concerned about a posibility of a recesssion and with the quality of books available for sale, the Bill Hughes auctions ended earlier tonight to kick off the first of 4 quality auctions to occur in the next month or so. Was anybody watching anything and how do you think the auctioned fared? Better yet did anybody win anything? I was really only watching one particular book and participated for the first time in a VintageCollectables.net auction. I am also pleased to say I won said book.

Although I didn't set a GPA record, I definitely didn't pick it up for a "steal".

I also guess I have officialy decided to add other pedigree books to my collection other than White Mountains, which I'm not quite sure is a good or bad thing. :)

Anyways I'd love to hear other collectors thoughts of the auction as a whole.

Jim

I won four books, an Avengers and three Marvel Team-ups. Prices weren't steals but not ridiculous, either. It was my first auction on that site though I've bought from Bill off his site. There didn't seem to be as much sniping as I'm used to elsewhere which was nice.

I picked up a much wanted Silver Age first appearance File copy in 9.4....................I can't tell you what I got as it is a "Secret" :gossip:

Wait....I just told you anyway.......Secret Squirrel #1 from 1966 in 9.4 with ow/w pages.....1st appearances of Secret, Morocco Mole, Squiddly Diddly, Winsome Witch.

Did I mention that Secret Squirrel rulez?

Scott