• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can anyone give me some info on this Canadian Spidey?

10 posts in this topic

I don't know about the later ones but I am sure that the earlier ones were either given after at Safeway and through the RCMP despite its cover prices. I heard of stories of people getting them from Safeway employees either for free or at a low cost, as they were going to discard them anyways. I can confirm that a board member was able to get some of the early issues from a RCMP officer. The Overstreet lists this issue at $18 in the regular section and not the promo section. However, I'll be surprised if anyone will pay that much.

I don't know about the later ones but I am sure that the earlier ones were either given after at Safeway and through the RCMP despite its cover prices. I heard of stories of people getting them from Safeway employees either for free or at a low cost, as they were going to discard them anyways. I can confirm that a board member was able to get some of the early issues from a RCMP officer. The Overstreet lists this issue at $18 in the regular section and not the promo section. However, I'll be surprised if anyone will pay that much.

Thanks for the reply Greggy. I really need to get a new Overstreet guide one day. Lost my older copy while moving and i'm hoping they will come out with a hard cover issue this year. I'd like to sell some of my books but it's hard to do, not having any idea of values

Thanks for the help everyone.

I think I know what it is, but I am not 100% sure because I don't own a copy.

A fellow named Eric who has his office on Queen Street at the end of the Don Valley Expressway decided to put out some anti-drug comic books. He contacted Jim Craig a local artist who did some comics for Marvel in the early seventies. He decided to set the comics in major Canadian cities. At some point in this he contacted Marvel and one way or another got their permission to use Spider-man. The comics were either sponsored by the government or by charitable organizations or both. I have no idea if Marvel kicked in money or if Eric kicked in any of his own.

Initially the books were very valuable. I saw one being sold at the Chicago comic convention for $10. In Canada they were being given away. As a school teacher I am sure I could have gotten as many as I wanted for free. Since that time they have been reprinted by Marvel in the USA and at that point the Canadian versions lost most of their collectable value. I think you are looking at one of the Marvel reprints there.

There were problems with the book. The one I remember was that there was a sexuality in the drawing that PTA types think is wrong for kids. We don't notice this anymore but the depictions of women in the comics, tend to overstate their sexual features. I don't remember the other problems Eric had.

At a certain point he decided to get rid of Spider-Man and a comic was created called, "Dr. Jay and the Junior Jays". At the time baseball was very popular in Toronto and the comic focused on our baseball team. It came out as a digest sized magazine with puzzles, games, comics and anything else they could put into it. I don't think it exists anymore but Eric's office is still there on Queen Street. Who knows what he is thinking up now?