• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Neil Gaiman's Sandman Art

4 posts in this topic

Cool posting over at Neil Gaiman's Blog -- I have often wondered about the final Death and Dream DPS from Kindly Ones, one of my very favorite pages:

"Hi Neil,

I hope all is going well with the new book, I am looking forward to reading it immensely when it is published.

I would be interested to know if you have kept any of the original art from The Sandman over the years. I know that the artists sell their work on after DC have finished with it and wondered if you requested certain pages or covers or were gifted them by artists, if so which page or pages do you cherish most.

Best Regards

Paul

---

I don't have much -- off the top of my head (and I'm sure to leave something important out) a couple of Dave McKean covers, a page from Colleen Doran's lovely Facade, a Shawn MacManus page from Three Septembers and a January, a Jill Thompson Brief Lives page, the double page of the amazing Michael Zulli sea serpent, the final Death and Dream spread from the Kindly Ones, and the first page of the last issue. I have a lovely Mike Dringenberg Sandman painting he did as an advert for a signing at Night Flight in Utah. A Jay Muth Dream pin-up. A Moebius Death I bought from a gallery. And, apart from an amazing page by Michael Zulli that was a test for the pencils effect of The Wake (which I should talk to DC about reproducing in the last of the Absolute Sandman volumes) I think that's about it.

And I treasure them all."

I treasure all of mine as well!

I don't have much -- off the top of my head (and I'm sure to leave something important out) a couple of Dave McKean covers, a page from Colleen Doran's lovely Facade, a Shawn MacManus page from Three Septembers and a January, a Jill Thompson Brief Lives page, the double page of the amazing Michael Zulli sea serpent, . . . . .

Thanks for solving a mystery. I'm not much of a SANDMAN collector, but that DPS is the one piece I have been looking for. Guess I can move on now :(

Well, up until a couple of years ago, Hempel still had the Death splash. He mentioned it to me in passing as he didn't have any other Sandman pages but was still holding onto that one as a present for Neil. Despite the fact that, some 10 years later, Neil apparently hadn't bothered to pick it up. He sounded a little fed up and I wondered if he might just end up selling it.

Guess not. :grin:

J