• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chuck's Emails Save Mile High!

5 posts in this topic

From his latest missive:

"If you think about it, I believe that you can see how the Internet has completely transformed my life. Not only was Mile High Comics almost bankrupt in 1996, but my public persona was far from positive. After 25 years of selling comics through both mail order sales and retail stores, I had failed in my attempts at public communication to such an extent that I would discover enemies that I didn't even know I had around almost every corner. This hurt me very much, as I could never figure out why so many people disliked me. I had always worked to be as honest and fair in all my dealings as I could possibly be, yet my message was simply not getting through. It seemed that because I had built a large company in a very unconventional business, that there were endless number of people who were willing to assume that I had done something "wrong" in my climb to the top, and was thus fair game for their universal enmity. Being broke, and simultaneous publicly scorned, is not at all a happy state of affairs.

The turning point in my life began when I started writing this newsletter, in 1998. While my earliest newsletters were almost exclusively hype and hustle messages, I did include a few personal elements, mostly because I just wanted to. As your first feedback messages started coming back to me, I began to realize that I had stumbled upon a wonderful new means for communicating my thoughts and passions. With that thought fixed in my mind, the determination I made right from the beginning is that I would write all of our newsletters, and that I would always be totally candid. Whatever was happening that week in the company, or my personal life, that was of note would be included. This was a very risky decision, as I knew darn good and well that being very open about your personal life (and company affairs) can sometimes be quite difficult. There have been many times when I have had a hard time writing my columns because I was fighting back tears during particularly difficult passages. The reality is, however, that many of the columns that have been the most trying for me to write are also those which have resonated the most with you. That means a lot to me at this point, because if my feedback was telling me that you didn't care, I would have long ago stopped writing this column. Like most other online executives, I would then have delegated writing the weekly newsletter to a staff member. Blessedly, however, the many hundreds of letters I receive each month tell me that not only do you care about me, but you also have great fondness for my family, and all the talented staff members at Mile High Comics. With your strong positive reinforcement as an incentive, I promise you that I will keep writing this newsletter as long as I possible can. We all thank you very, very, much for being a part of our lives."

Can anyone fill me in: I thought Chuck was in line to buy Marvel around the 1996 time period, but here he says he was nearly bankrupt. Is this right?

- D.

but my public persona was far from positive.

Still is.

. This hurt me very much, as I could never figure out why so many people disliked me. I had always worked to be as honest and fair in all my dealings as I could possibly be

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Chris

Drice: I think Marvel could have been had for a song around 1996...wasn't Marvel almost bankrupt at that point?

Funny to think that Chuck now acknowledges peoples' dislike for him - but only after the fact, as something that happened but isn't happening now ... his personal 'reality distortion field' just keeps humming along...you'd think it would run outta batteries once in awhile...