• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why Pedigree?

191 posts in this topic

Here's a good example of what makes some pedigrees more desirable. Here are pictures of a CGC 9.4 copy of Thrilling 62 from the current Comiclink auction, and the Okajima copy of the same issue - courtesy of adamstrange (hope you don't mind).

Which copy has more appeal?

The one with the biggest boobs.

Back in the day, way back in the last century, Pedigree copies USED to mean HIGH GRADE. Either each book actually WAS in HG or was "HG by Association" meaning that every MH or Allentown, etc copy sold at a multiple of top Guide and thought to be HG..

When CGC came along, it was the Rise of the Equally HG no-name copies. Equally-graded no-name and Pedigree copies were valued equally. Said a different way, that meant that no-names GAINED in value while Peds lost some. And now, with the slabs coming back from CGC, it was obvious that not all Ped copies were in NM or NM+ and no longer warranted a steep multiple of Guide. Why pay the same multiple for a 9.0 Church copy when there was a 9.4 no-name copy? Common sense dictated that the actual condition of each comic was more important than whose basement it was stored in for 40 years.

But, lately, appreciation for the Pedigree mystique has reclaimed it hegemony over collectors minds. There's no doubt that a large majority of us actually see a greater value in the assurity of the Pedigre copy of a particular book over an equally graded copy. When it comes time to sell, the Ped copy is moving ahead again of its lowly common brothers. And since grading is based on the sum of many factors, some of which dont agree with everybody the same way, many Ped copies have a look and feel that many consider makes themsuperior to equally graded copies.

So basically, where are we are now is that the Ped mystique is still there, Except we have begun to separate out the non-HG Ped copies. No more 5x Guide for all of them.

Excellent post!

I agree, excellent post Aman... but what about the CGC factor in terms of diluting the definition of a pedigree collection? CGC has certainly muddied the waters with things like "The Dallas Stephens Collection" on the label... those who frequent these boards understand that such designation is not on par with an actual 'pedigree', but we represent a tiny fraction of the overall collector and dealer communities...?

Personally, I don't own any pedigree books, but acknowledge the appeal... I like the idea of owning a book that previously was owned by an industry influencer such as an artist, writer, or publisher. Likewise, I think owning a book once read and owned by Edgar Church would be pretty cool.

All I can say is to each their own. I normally don't chase peds but do own a few. Bought originally to compare to their "common" brothers. Then there are some that would be pretty cool to have (as stated above) such as this book, and by the way, NOT in HG condition. As a collector though I'm thrilled to own it! :cloud9:

Unseen9CGC5.0ChurchCopy.jpg

Yeah, I got one for $32!

I had to pay more for my Okajima. :sorry:

Different people value different things. Knowing the history of a book is very important to some and they are willing to pay for it. Interesting histories have added value to all types of collectibles - not just comics.

Although it is humorous to note how so many faux pedigree collections with interesting stories have come out of the woodwork. Even major dealers hype small collection with fanciful stories..."It was a dark, stormy night and hidden beneath the boxes of clothes was the almost perfectly preserved copy of....." .. Get the picture? A little creative marketing goes a long way.

Different people value different things. Knowing the history of a book is very important to some and they are willing to pay for it. Interesting histories have added value to all types of collectibles - not just comics.

Although it is humorous to note how so many faux pedigree collections with interesting stories have come out of the woodwork. Even major dealers hype small collection with fanciful stories..."It was a dark, stormy night and hidden beneath the boxes of clothes was the almost perfectly preserved copy of....." .. Get the picture? A little creative marketing goes a long way.

a la the Tremont Collection.

Here's a good example of what makes some pedigrees more desirable. Here are pictures of a CGC 9.4 copy of Thrilling 62 from the current Comiclink auction, and the Okajima copy of the same issue - courtesy of adamstrange (hope you don't mind).

Which copy has more appeal?

I have no doubt the eye appeal of the Okajima copy is superior in person.

But there's too many variables to let these scans serve as a proper comparison. Different scans with different settings (Adamstrange always has the richest, most color-infused scans), and the slabbed book is being scanned through the case, which will help to dull even the nicest copy, while Adam's is scanned raw.