• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why Pedigree?

191 posts in this topic

Mac can afford to get a strike. You can't :sumo:

Whether I take part in these forums on not, will have not have any effect on my well-being, nor should it have with anyone.

I honestly just came back to blow some money at the VCC. (shrug)

You have been a member for almost six years and you almost have 24,000 posts. I don't see why someone who has so many posts would not care about if he got banned or not.

And I make no admission to comic book might- anyone who knows my collecting habits knows I'm a low down, low grade collector. Seriously though guys, no need to get feathers ruffled. Ok?

So now you are threatening to ruffle feathers? Good lord man, this is an internet chat room. There is no need for such open hostility.

:baiting:

Whaaa? JC, c'mon man. You know I wasn't threatening you-- my point was that I come from a place where I understand the competitive mindset of an athlete.

I know, but just imagine if I posted that same comment, STRIKE!! lol

Well, then it'd be unfounded based on the context of the remark. And I'll be the first to admit to being new here, but I'd like to think the mods I've interacted with would take that into account before penalizing someone.

All that aside, it was simply a point of comparison. I can totally understand the frustration on pedigrees- it seems like an unsubstantial reason for inflating the price on a comic. But then again, we've all had those same discussions about how slabbed books in 9.8 are somehow worth more than a slabbed 9.6 or even their raw counterparts. It comes down to collectors wanting to up the ante for the standard of their collection.

I used to find it odd, but then again, others find my interest in low grades odd. So, it comes back to whatever floats your boat. :)

ok, heres my take on the Ped. subject. I own Amazing Spiderman 101- 425 raw in what I would call near mint. So in my thinking of what to do with the 100 down run I decided 1) I could just collect raw, 2) I could collect just slabbed, 3) I could collect slabbed Peds. So I decided that I would collect all 100 slabbed, with a least 20 being Peds from the same collection. Them you have to look at the best quality peds out there, I decided to go with Pacific Coast. As of this writing I own the #98 9.4 Pacific Coast with my eye on my 2nd one. The other 80 issues will all be 9.0 or better until the lower numbers where I will buy what I can afford. So for me its not just about collecting Amazing Spiderman.

One thing that I have learned about collecting golden age is that no 2 books are alike, even if they are technically the same grade. I have seen 9.0's of a certain issue that look pristine, and 9.0's that I wouldn't inflict on my worst enemy.

Bottom line, the Mile High pedigree books are purely amazing. Case in point, I just passed on anice 9.0 book, because I own the Mile High copy. The 9.0 book I passed on looked nice, but even though the books are in the same grade, and even though I paid more than 2x for the Mile High, there really is no comparison. The Mile High is simply gorgeous, both in cover reflectivity and overall appearance.

I had always intended to grab the non-pedigree copy and sell off the Mile High, but owning the Mile High book ruined me for any other copies of the issue. I am sure others feel the same.

The same cannot be said for some other pedigree books. Rockford, Recil Macon, and Cosmic Aeroplane are a few that come to mind (in general).

People collect books for a multitude of reasons. Be that certain issues, great covers, runs, pedigrees, etc. Thankfully, there is no "right way" to collect.

Why does a pedigree even matter? Who cares if a 9.6 book has a pedigree or not? The origin of a book shouldn't influence it's value. Who cares if a book was once owned by Mile High or Nick Cage? These factors are vagueries used to inflate the price of the book that should have no bearance on it's value. At VERY best, a Pedigree is another bullet point in an auction, adding some merit to the authenticity of a book. It does provides a buyer with reassurance but does NOT increase the overal sigificance of a book. ...so why pay more for peace of mind?

This subject really irks me!!

A pedigree or a book from a known collection offers something else besides the book as a bonus to me.

Take a Green River book.

As well as owning the book you also get a fantastic back story on a person who put together a great set of books and ended up using them to partly fund payments for legal services rendered.

This alone is obviously seen as a reason to pay above the average price for some books. It also creates great side conversation regarding a collection. I can't tell you where 90% of my reading copies originated from but have a great deal of information regarding my 150+ pedigreed books.

None of this makes it right to pay more for a book from a collection or pedigree but it does offer something that many collectors want and thats individuality.

You may not agree with spending more on a book from a pedigree or collection but it gives you no right to tell people who love this area of collecting that they are wrong for having a different view to yourself.

Happy collecing in whatever field you may choose.

Russ...

ok, heres my take on the Ped. subject. I own Amazing Spiderman 101- 425 raw in what I would call near mint. So in my thinking of what to do with the 100 down run I decided 1) I could just collect raw, 2) I could collect just slabbed, 3) I could collect slabbed Peds. So I decided that I would collect all 100 slabbed, with a least 20 being Peds from the same collection. Them you have to look at the best quality peds out there, I decided to go with Pacific Coast. As of this writing I own the #98 9.4 Pacific Coast with my eye on my 2nd one. The other 80 issues will all be 9.0 or better until the lower numbers where I will buy what I can afford. So for me its not just about collecting Amazing Spiderman.

(worship) Ambitious man, very ambitious.

Well, then it'd be unfounded based on the context of the remark. And I'll be the first to admit to being new here, but I'd like to think the mods I've interacted with would take that into account before penalizing someone.

lollollol

Although I have more than deserved most of the strikes I received, I am also the recipient of two of the lamest, undeserved, most outrageous strikes ever handed out on any online forum in the history of mankind.

Jacks2Start: Very ambitious man, good luck. I can't wait to see you fulfill that goal and sell it on eBay some odd years afterwards. ;)

Sal: Glad you have a sense of humor.

There's a lot of -measuring and feather-ruffling going on. Did you know that Praying mantissi decapitate the males after they have sex with them? ....Think about that before you jump head-first into a measuring competition.

I've explained my enjoyment of collecting pedigree books before, but here it is in brief again. As a collector of Silver Age Marvels in high grade, I have the benefit of selecting from among the many, many copies that have been slabbed for the vast majority of these issues.

Consequently, from among the two dozen or more high grade copies of, say, Thor #127, I really enjoy owning the Pacific Coast copy. It is distinct from the other two dozen high grade copies, and so is special. On top of that, I find it very cool to own multiple issues from a given pedigree, knowing that the books all share certain preservation characteristics and all came from the same original owner collection.

Rather than the encapsulation process doing away with the significance of pedigree books (since, the argument goes, a 9.4 is a 9.4 is a 9.4), it has shown that SA Marvels are not scarce in grade (with a few notable exceptions), and so it is the pedigree copies that are special among the crowd.

Jacks2Start: Very ambitious man, good luck. I can't wait to see you fulfill that goal and sell it on eBay some odd years afterwards. ;)

Sal: Glad you have a sense of humor.

There's a lot of -measuring and feather-ruffling going on. Did you know that Praying mantissi decapitate the males after they have sex with them? ....Think about that before you jump head-first into a measuring competition.

Mantissi?

Really? I honestly have no idea. It's a good word regardless

When you change focus again in a month or so, lemme know Guy :baiting:

Is there a doctor in the house? My irony meter just exploded, and there's shrapnel everywhere

Did you know that Praying mantissi decapitate the males after they have sex with them? ....

Isn't that alot like slamming pedigree collectors after joining the CGC forum?

Did you know that Praying mantissi decapitate the males after they have sex with them? ....

Isn't that alot like slamming pedigree collectors after joining the CGC forum?

Sssshhh! We overlook everyone's faults around here. :insane: