• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC or Raw

76 posts in this topic

I have been collecting comics, off and on, for over 20 years now. I started collecting CGCs (mostly ASM) about 2 1/2 years ago, basically when I discovered this board.

I recently bought some high grade raw comics, a 9.4 ASM 124 and a 9.6 ASM 238 off the boards and realized something when they arrived: I enjoy raw comics much more than slabs. There is something about being able to hold the comic and I prefer the way they look in a mylar or mylite with a full-back. There is something much more tangible about it. When I receive a book that has been CGCed, I admire it and then stick it in the box. There is less of a connection with it (even when it is my own book that I have slabbed). I am much more likely to go through a box of my raw comics than I am to go through my slabbed collection.

However, I like the officialness of having CGC books and the biggest thing for me is knowing that they will always be in their stated condition. Which probably comes from the fact that my entire UXM run went from NM to F+/VF- because of leaving too much space in the long box. As I move more and more into high grade silvers, the restoration check is also a comfort.

I bought the ASM 124 and 238 to be slabbed and yet I hesitate in sending them off. It is probably the reason why I seem to be putting together two runs of Amazing Spider-Man: One graded and one raw.

What about you? CGC vs. Raw... (shrug)

That's a leap of faith! :baiting:

I actually like the CGC case better because it looks more professional.

I do understand where you are coming from though CDBruce.

I do like seeing them in my Mylites2 and fullbacks, but I love knowing that my ASM and John Byrne X-men's are well protected, un-restored, and 100% the grade I am looking for.

I actually enjoy reading TPB now than holding each book individually anyway.

I actually like keeping a while run of raw books then sending them to get graded, and seeing the fruit of my labor.

Next I am sending all my issues of ASM 200-297 to get graded, and they will prob come back all 9.6 or 9.8. I hand picked them over the last 3-5 years.

Isn't the lowest grading fee $20. Why would you spend $2,000 grading these comics when you could add a bunch more to your collection? (shrug)

I can actually hand a slabbed comic to my Dad. He likes comic book art but I hated letting him look at my comics because a NM copy became a FN- by the time he was done crunching it up. I swear he would do it on purpose.

I remember as a kid of 12 or 13 cringing every time my dad wanted to read some of my comics (he was more of a DC man having read Action 1 and up when he was little).

I actually remember replacing several copies that he'd thoroughly rolled up. :tonofbricks:

My kids know I collect, but given what they've done to some of our other books, I've never shown them any of mine.

I have zero slabs in my collection. Every CGC book I get is immediately cracked out. Most of them are golden age though, so no real value loss associated with it...

I do slab books for resale though.

Real men enjoy it raw (thumbs u

I have never bought a comic in a plastic coffin nor have any plans to and I enjoy it out here buying in a riskier way than the collecting while sleep walking method.

But if I ever do I will do exactly as you do and crack'em open catch and release style.

I have zero slabs in my collection. Every CGC book I get is immediately cracked out. Most of them are golden age though, so no real value loss associated with it...

I have never bought a comic in a plastic coffin nor have any plans to and I enjoy it out here buying in a riskier way than the collecting while sleep walking method.

But if I ever do I will do exactly as you do and crack'em open catch and release style.

Wow, way to slam a whole section of the collecting population :applause:

Just overlook it. Small minds usually have big opinions. :juggle:

Just overlook it. Small minds usually have big opinions. :juggle:

Just one of the very few things that irks me to no end.

Like people who call Revelation, Revelations and those who spread the completely false idea that the Theory of Evolution states that humans descended from Monkeys

:frustrated:

Everytime people would come to visit and see my comics in boxes, they would feel the urge to pull them out of the box, pull it from the mylar and read them because if would bring them fond memories when they bought them as kids.

Well, I put an end to all that nonsense and stuck them in slabs :sumo:

I agree with this -- but with a little less 'sumo wrestler emphasis'. Books in slabs are mini-works of framed pop art. Raw books bring back great memories and provide a truly enjoyable nostalgic sense of peacefulness.

Right now the raw books are my focus.

Well, I prefer to purchase my books raw. After I have spent sufficient time with them, I get them slabbed. The slab ensures me that the book is not restored, and protects it. I know that I can always turn it back into raw at any time.