• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reading Comics and What They Mean by Douglas Wolk

Reading Comics and What They Mean  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Reading Comics and What They Mean

6 posts in this topic

I picked this book up at my university library as a nice diversion from my research. While I've dipped a short ways into this book, I'm finding it's a pretty interesting read. Sure, not everything is something I buy into completely. Nonetheless, there are some interesting points Wolk lays out for looking at the comic book in a more serious way. Essentially, he applies the notions of how there is an established practice of literary criticism to creating a new school of critical thought in comics.

Just wonder how many of you have read this, thoughts on it, and any other books along these lines you'd care to bring up as well?

I picked this book up at my university library as a nice diversion from my research. While I've dipped a short ways into this book, I'm finding it's a pretty interesting read. Sure, not everything is something I buy into completely. Nonetheless, there are some interesting points Wolk lays out for looking at the comic book in a more serious way. Essentially, he applies the notions of how there is an established practice of literary criticism to creating a new school of critical thought in comics.

If there is a serious approach to criticism of an artistic medium like literature, visual arts, movies, theater, opera, music etc. then I would suggest that the burden of proof is on anyone who wants to exclude comics.

As to the current state of literary criticism I leave that for a different thread.

Sure comics can critically analyzed. They were a major part of pop culture and both reflected and shaped many generations of young boys and girls. Whenever I read an old comic, it is both a nostalgic experience and provides an opportunity to reflect upon the historical values portrayed.