• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chelmsford, MA, Comic Show, March 9, meet artist Jim Calafiore

33 posts in this topic

DC Comics Artist Jim Calafiore at Chelmsford, MA, Comic Book Show

CHELMSFORD, MA - Larry's Comics welcomes artist Jim Calafiore to the Chelmsford Comic Book Show on Sunday, March 9, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Calafiore worked on Marvel Comics' "Exiles" for several years before hopping over to DC Comics, where he has illustrated some of that company's highest-profile titles, including the universe-shattering "Countdown to Final Crisis" and "Gotham Underground," a closer look at the uglier side of Batman's hometown. Fans will be able to commission sketches during the show, as well as purchase original artwork, prints, or a copy of Calafiore's latest sketchbook. As always, autographs are free for all fans.

"I haven't done a show in Massachusetts for a few years, since the last Wizard World Boston," said Calafiore, "and I know for some even traveling to New York is not feasible, so I enjoy getting to different parts of the country to meet the comic fans I don't usually see at the regular shows. And I promise not to wear my Giants shirt that day."

The Chelmsford Comic Show, which has earned a reputation as one of the best small-town shows in America, is organized by Larry Doherty, owner of Larry's Comics in Lowell, MA. Past guests have included some of the hottest names in the industry, including Ethan Van Sciver, Billy Tan, and Rags Morales.

In addition to Calafiore, the guest list for the March 9 show features a number of local artists, including Kris Carter, penciller of "Grimm Fairy Tales" from Zenescope Entertainment; Mike Doherty; the creators of "Sky Pirates;" and representatives from ThePlanComics.com.

The Chelmsford Comic Book Show will also feature raffles throughout the day for some awesome prizes. One lucky fan will even take home an original Savage Dragon sketch done by Image Comics Publisher Erik Larsen exclusively for the show. The grand prize will be lunch with Calafiore, during which the superstar artist will produce a custom sketch for the winner. The show has also been sponsored by many publishers, who have provided free posters and other swag for New England's comic fans.

The March 9th show will feature top dealers from all over New England, offering a wide selection of over one million comics from the Golden Age to the hottest new releases, hard-to-find action figures, toys, Heroclix, non-sports cards, statues, minibusts, collectibles, anime, and other pop culture ephemera. It will be held at the Radisson Hotel and Suites, located at Exit 34 off Interstate 495 in Chelmsford, MA. The event runs from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., and admission is just $5. The convenient location features plenty of free parking.

For more information, including a list of dealers and artist alley participants, please visit the show's web site:

http://www.larryscomics.net/shows.html

Here's a list of dealers who will be setting up at the Chelmsford, MA, Comic Book Show on Sunday, March 9th:

Baron's Collectibles

Bedrock Comics

Bill Nolan

Bob's Cape Comics

Bob Gagne

Chris' Comics

Colin Solan

Collector's Comics - Derek Woywood

Comically Speaking

Crystal Clear Images

Dave Hartwell

Dave Moulder Non-Sport Cards

Double Midnight

Fantasy Land

Finar Comics

Gary from RI

Golden Age Collectibles

Greg's Comics & Sports Cards

Harrison's

Jimmy from "Bop City"

Jeff Lane

John + Kirk Toczylowski

Katz Komix

Monkeyhouse Entertainment

Patrick Cook

Paul Conrad - The Comic Fan's Comics

Rubber Chicken

Scott Reilly - AllAboutComics

Scott Ross

Scott Sevegney

The Signed Edition

TJ's Collectables

Stand-Up Comix

Tim Knowles Comics Etc.

Here's a list of dealers who will be setting up at the Chelmsford, MA, Comic Book Show on Sunday, March 9th:

Baron's Collectibles

Bedrock Comics

Bill Nolan

Bob's Cape Comics

Bob Gagne

Chris' Comics

Colin Solan

Collector's Comics - Derek Woywood

Comically Speaking

Crystal Clear Images

Dave Hartwell

Dave Moulder Non-Sport Cards

Double Midnight

Fantasy Land

Finar Comics

Gary from RI

Golden Age Collectibles

Greg's Comics & Sports Cards

Harrison's

Jimmy from "Bop City"

Jeff Lane

John + Kirk Toczylowski

Katz Komix

Patrick Cook

Paul Conrad - The Comic Fan's Comics

Rubber Chicken

Scott Reilly - AllAboutComics

Scott Ross

Scott Sevegney

The Signed Edition

TJ's Collectables

Stand-Up Comix

Tim Knowles Comics Etc.

Monkeyhouse Entertainment too. ;)

It was a great show! Thanks Larry! I had a good time and spent hours there.

And the parking wasn't just amazing, it was possibly the BEST PARKING EVER! Not like some shows without a free lot or validated parking where you have to circle the streets endlessly or pay through the nose. Who needs shows like that?

I'd post scans of the pre-hero Atlas Westerns I picked up :cloud9: but since they're mid-grades not fit for some people to wipe their bums with, I'll leave them to everyone's imagination.

Nuts! I was really hoping for a mini-report of this Con since I couldn't attend (visiting Army friends in Hershey, PA). Anyone care to elaborate, post pics, etc? :wishluck:

Larry has posted some great pictures and his con report at this link:

March 9th Chelmsford Con Report

Another fun show. The next one is scheduled for Aug. 3rd. Larry will also be pulling out all the stops on Free Comic Book Day (May 3rd) at his store in Lowell, Mass., in case anyone is in the area that day. It's a great time to be a comic book fan!